Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christmas!

edited December 2010 in General Banter
Hi,

(Yay! Summer Holidays!)

When I joined the forum last year, I noticed that quite a few Buddhists here have a problem (or more accurately, they're not comfortable) with Christmas. I posted about Christmas to promote understanding and so all of you can be comfortable with it and -hopefully- enjoy it. Now instead of replying to posts I'm creating a post with my points from last year and some new ones. Although I am technically a Christian, I won't write about this religiously, I'm writing about Christmas to promote understanding for Buddhists who are not comfortable with it, (I count myself as Buddhist hehe even though I believe in God).

Now, today, in the present, at the moment (lol) Christmas has become very materialistic. Its true meaning appears to have been lost. It seems like a fuel for the materialistic and samsaric society in which we live in today. However, there are still many who practice and celebrate a true Christmas, mostly devout Christians of course. I believe that at Christmas, true Christianity comes out, and you'll see why. Truthfully, Christmas is not materialistic (unfortunately big shopping businesses have made it appear that way) it really promotes the act of giving and of love. Think of Christmas as a time for people to practice the paramita of giving. You can use Christmas to increase your love and compassion and giving too. Christmas is a time of thinking about others, it is an opportunity to overcome self image etc. During Christmas and toward it, there is a magic in the air, I like to think of that as an aspect of God. Anyway, this magic is a great feeling of joy, enabling one to not only celebrate life with loved ones but to show compassion, forgiveness (especially), love and joy towards "enemies". So, think of Christmas as a time to enhance your Buddha Dharma practice. I like to think of the Christmas tree as a symbol, the stump is the beginning of your practice, and then it becomes a beautiful tree, showing the fruition and progress of your practice and finally the star I think represents the attainment of Enlightenment or God consciousness. Santa Claus I feel does not inspire consumerism and materialism in children (He is in fact based on Saint Nicholas who loved children and gave all of his possessions to the poor, a great example and inspiration for developing loving kindness and compassion), he (if used correctly by parents) inspires children in the practice of morality, one of the three essentials on the path to enlightenment ( the others being meditation and wisdom) or for the attainment of God consciousness. I feel there is a spirit or magic that exists during Christmas that inspires joy and love towards yourself and all others. Christmas is also used b y Christians of course to get together for spiritual practice and blessings. I suggest a Buddhist should definitely practice during this time and to get into the Christmas spirit and magic and to show more love towards others as well as yourself. Wishing people "Merry Christmas" is like the practice of right speech from the noble eightfold path. Nobody really says "God bless you" any more, but I believe it is quite a strong blessing. Why not wish all sentient beings to be happy? I think a Buddhist could wish others a Merry Christmas! Also, in the homes of those who practice Christmas more traditionally, Christmas realigns them and makes them aware of what is most important in life, including love and compassion.
I love "A Christmas carol" by Charles Dickens and I think it really shows the true Christmas and its magical spirit. I suggest you read it if you haven't.The fact Scrooge turns from evil to good shows that enlightenment is possible for all sentient beings. I think just Christmas itself could be a great spiritual practice. If one keeps Christmas in his heart throughout all of the year and has the same joy and feeling of Christmas spirit and magic as during Christmas, one can attain a great deal of merit and happiness, and even enlightenment! (But as wisdom is necessary for enlightenment I believe that the wisdom from communing with God is enough, also, if you are Buddhist and wish to use Christmas as a spiritual practice, use the wisdom teachings of Lord Buddha). I feel the Christmas atmosphere can be represented at least in some way by Maitreya, "the happy Buddha", who always appeal to chuckle from immense love, compassion and joy.
(I may add points later)

Now I think I'll leave you with a great teaching from "A Christmas Carol" (which I strongly recommend reading) which I have started to read each Christmas, to help me get back on track (the book shows true Christianity, and Christmas spirit. I think of it as a manual of how to live life. Scrooge and the ghosts are great examples!).

"Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim.......(spoilers! ) ........., he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world. Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite well that they should wrinkle up their eyes and in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him.
He had no further intercourse with Spirits, but lived upon the Total Abstinence Principle [from drink is its meaning I think, looked it up on the web], ever afterwards; and it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well [for the whole year], if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that truly be said of us,and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed,
GOD BLESS US, EVERYONE! "

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    No problem with Christmas here! It may be celebrated religiously by individual families, but in the larger society it no longer has anything to do with religion. It's a time of compassion, forgiveness and giving to make up for the rest of the year where we are normally lacking.

We should practice all of these during this time, but greater even than this we should remember to do so all of the time. That is the heart of our Buddhist practice... not to make compassion, giving and forgiveness things associated with a special day or time of year, but with every moment of every day.

Our task, and a great one at that, is to give fully and freely of ourselves with no selfish thought. This too I believe is what Jesus/Yeshua of Nazareth taught, and he is also an example for how we should live. If we are to celebrate Jesus, it should be by following his compassionate example.

Merry Christmas to you, and may we all cultivate that special every-moment generosity of heart! :)
  • edited December 2010
    Christmas is bliss and joys occasion and is holiday. I love it :lol:
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited December 2010
    in my Temple, today we held our Bodhi-day service. We collected food items for the local food bank, and gift items for a local group that distributes christmas gifts to the needy.

One of our board members is an 87 year old gentleman who every year dons the red hat with white fur trim, and rings bells in a mall raising money for the Salvation Army.

Another former board member used to win the christmas lights contest in our city every year.

Personally I love Christmas! I love the nostalgia of the old TV specials...Rudolph, Frosty, a wonderful life (a great tale of inter-being!) A Christmas Carol...the Grinch (the old cartoon thank you very much) Ol Charlie Brown. Heck I even love the music!

It is a season when aside from the consumerism, we recognise the ideal of peace on earth and good will toward men. When family gets together. The Jesus myth was really an add on to the solstice celebration anyway, but I have no issues against Jesus.

For myself, just as Christians sort of highjacked the celebration, I do the same.
    Shakyamuni Buddha so legend has it, sat beneath a tree, on straw given to him, sustained on milk also given to him. On December 8th as the morning star rose in the sky he attained enlightenment, and after some time, he gave the world the greatest gift of all, the path to liberation.
    So the gifts beneath the tree, the star a-top, the celebrating in December...for all we know maybe he first rolled the wheel of the dharma close to December 25th.
    So I just sort of highjack it as a Buddhist Celebration. :lol:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    The Jesus myth was really an add on to the solstice celebration anyway, but I have no issues against Jesus.
    Can we at least not say "Jesus myth" though? Even if we aren't Christians ourselves, "myth" being applied to a living religion or its savior would be insulting to a follower of that religion. I'm sure the Greeks might not mind us calling Zeus a myth, but Christians and Jesus... not so cool. :)