Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Brain Plasticity -The Brain that Changes Itself

WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
edited December 2010 in Philosophy
Hi all,

I'm reading a fantastic book at the moment about the plasticity of the brain (http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers/dp/067003830X). Instead of the localisation model of the brain where each part of the brain was fixed in function, the plastic model, though still containing correlation between location and function, is dynamic and constantly changing. Yet another validation of the truth of impermanence that science has found.

If the matter and energy of the brain is constantly shifting and changing, how can people still insist that we are our brain as there is nothing that stands still long enough to equate ourselves with? It is also very interesting that brain changes have been found to be caused by experience. The funny thing is that experience, in this context, is by definition subjective and hence mind! Surprise, surprise mind causes the brain to change, though it is more correct to say that they mutually affect each other.

I'm looking forward to when conventional neuroscientists start seriously reconsidering the decision to do away with mind. That is when our understanding of reality will really advance. At least a paradigm shift is happening with plasticity.

Cheers, WK

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I'd say it's more related to no-self than impermanence. Impermanence we hardly have trouble with as humans, but no-self... :)
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited December 2010
    what's interesting is double meaning of anatta in pAli and japanese...

work on the Brahma Viharas (the 4).... and chill out.
  • edited December 2010
    The thing about experience is interesting in a Buddhist context. When we remember something, we think we're "reliving" the past, but what we're actually doing is activating a specific pattern of neurons, and that pattern is always changing. So my memory of event in this instant is different than the memory of the same event I might have had a year ago; a year from now it will be different still. For the human mind, the "past" is always changing, and is nothing but an interdependent phenomenon arising in the present moment.
    edited December 2010
    neurons? buddhism doesn't condone materialism. the stream of mind, and of karma, doesn't happen through material means.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, no? Then why is the Dalai Lama investing so much in functional MRI machines? http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/NEWS/davidson27.html

Form is emptiness, but emptiness is also form. Don't stop half-way through the sutra.
  • edited December 2010
    I would agree that, as it stands now, Buddhism does not assert mind (citta) emerging from matter. I see no problem, however, with allowing materialist reductionists a shot at the other mental aggregates -- vijnana, e.g.

And none of this disallows the interplay between mind and matter, which is subtle and mysterious. In other words, I would allow Buddhism the assertion that both matter/energy and mind coemerge from {emptiness}.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Another good brain science book is "My Stroke of Insight", by Jill Bolte Taylor. She's a neuroscientist who had a stroke that damaged the left side of the brain, so all she had to function by for awhile was the right side. Once you silence the chattering, intellectual mind of the left brain, she discovered, you experience everything Buddhism talks about as the goal of meditation: a Oneness with all creation, and other very interesting phenomena. She was able to write about her experience from a scientist's viewpoint, due to her background.
  • edited December 2010
    I have trouble finishing that book cause of all the experients they did on the little animals :(
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    I have trouble finishing that book cause of all the experients they did on the little animals :(

Yes, I must admit that I was not happy about that portion of the book. It disturbs me because, although the scientists may generally be aiming for an altruistic goal, their means could in these cases be considered "ill gotten". So based on my understanding of karmic theory, which is no better than others, ill gotten gains always have a negative consequence waiting in the future.

I can't say that I ignored these parts of the book, I also strongly disapprove of experimentation on live animals, yet there is plenty of other information that is relevant to Buddhism.

Cheers, WK
  • edited December 2010
    Who's being a materialist reductionist? Mind emerges from many things, one of which is matter, and the interaction of mind and matter is anything but subtle. A brain surgeon knows just where to apply an electric stimulus to your brain to give you the clear sensation that you are floating up at the ceiling, looking down on the surgery. My reading of the Buddhist doctrine of interdependent co-arising not only allows for such phenomenon, but actually demands it; to say that mind owes none of its emergence to matter is to knock a jewel out of the net of Indra.
    On the other hand, Cartesian mind-body dualism went out with the neck ruff, and it think it is a mistake to try to map it onto Buddhism.
  • edited December 2010
    ScottKnick wrote: »
    to say that mind owes none of its emergence to
    matter is to knock a jewel out of the net of Indra.

The mind owes its emergence to
    {emptiness}
    so does the matter.

Two different fruits from the same orchard
    in the same dish
    being eaten nearby the orchard
  • edited December 2010
    Miraculous, these two fruits! When you drop one, the other is bruised!
    edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    I would agree that, as it stands now, Buddhism does not assert mind (citta) emerging from matter. I see no problem, however, with allowing materialist reductionists a shot at the other mental aggregates -- vijnana, e.g.

And none of this disallows the interplay between mind and matter, which is subtle and mysterious. In other words, I would allow Buddhism the assertion that both matter/energy and mind coemerge from {emptiness}.

E = mc2 // rupaDhatu
    @ = mc3 // arupaDhatu

lets start from there?
    edited December 2010
    Dakini wrote: »
    Another good brain science book is "My Stroke of Insight", by Jill Bolte Taylor. She's a neuroscientist who had a stroke that damaged the left side of the brain, so all she had to function by for awhile was the right side. Once you silence the chattering, intellectual mind of the left brain, she discovered, you experience everything Buddhism talks about as the goal of meditation: a Oneness with all creation, and other very interesting phenomena. She was able to write about her experience from a scientist's viewpoint, due to her background.

Einstein, explain this: what's schizoPhrenia? a brain divided in 2? that's the best Western Science can do to explain the nature of mind?

A pitty, it really is a pitty... but psychiatry has to die (along with its practitioners and believers?)
    edited December 2010
    ScottKnick wrote: »
    Who's being a materialist reductionist? Mind emerges from many things, one of which is matter, and the interaction of mind and matter is anything but subtle...

poor materialists, so many more life's... in samsAra.
  • edited December 2010
    maybe this will clear things up more. What travels through our life time isn't our consiousness per say. It's the "8th consicousness" called Alaya Consicousness. It's the storehouse for our karma that shapes the form and location of our rebirth. Hence this whole concept of mind/brain is just the material/form shell that contains the neural network that enables our body to function. Hence there's alot of talk of our false mind etc.
    edited December 2010
    this Alaya Consciousness.
    what if someone decides there place of next Birth?
    edited December 2010
    Aṣṭavijñāna Samskrita per favore.
  • edited December 2010
    Vincenzi wrote: »
    this Alaya Consciousness.
    what if someone decides there place of next Birth?
    I read somewhere higher level Bodhisattvas can do that. But for most us deluded folks we can only hope to gain wholesome karma to ensure we get a good rebirth.
    edited December 2010
    Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    I read somewhere higher level Bodhisattvas can do that. But for most us deluded folks we can only hope to gain wholesome karma to ensure we get a good rebirth.

thanks for this confirmation. i chosed this rebirth.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Einstein, explain this: what's schizoPhrenia? a brain divided in 2? that's the best Western Science can do to explain the nature of mind?

A pitty, it really is a pitty... but psychiatry has to die (along with its practitioners and believers?)

This isn't psychiatry that's discussed in the book, it's neuroscience, as with the book the OP presented. And schizophrenia isn't "multiple personality" or a brain divided in 2 (or more). That's called Dissociation. Schizophrenia is more complex. Check in a dictionary. Western psychiatry is mainly concerned with pathology. It's not relevant to this discussion, anyway.

Moving on to another topic, how did you choose this rebirth?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm reading a fantastic book at the moment about the plasticity of the brain (http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers/dp/067003830X). Instead of the localisation model of the brain where each part of the brain was fixed in function, the plastic model, though still containing correlation between location and function, is dynamic and constantly changing. Yet another validation of the truth of impermanence that science has found.

If the matter and energy of the brain is constantly shifting and changing, how can people still insist that we are our brain as there is nothing that stands still long enough to equate ourselves with? It is also very interesting that brain changes have been found to be caused by experience. The funny thing is that experience, in this context, is by definition subjective and hence mind! Surprise, surprise mind causes the brain to change, though it is more correct to say that they mutually affect each other.
    Cheers, WK

Very cool, WK (to get back on topic). Just a note: who says we are our brain? We're much more than a brain. This ever-changing brain is one component of us, so there's a sort of permanence, for outward appearances anyway, with an inherent impermanence.
    It's the same as the fact that our cells are constantly changing, sloughing off, being replaced by new cells. Everything is in flux. Yet everything remains recognizable.
    Mind does change the brain. That's why we meditate; meditation changes the brain, it has been shown scientifically. It creates new neurons and can also develop different lobes of the brain. But...you probably knew that ;)
    edited December 2010
    This isn't psychiatry that's discussed in the book, it's neuroscience, as with the book the OP presented. And schizophrenia isn't "multiple personality" or a brain divided in 2 (or more). That's called Dissociation. Schizophrenia is more complex. Check in a dictionary. Western psychiatry is mainly concerned with pathology. It's not relevant to this discussion, anyway.

Moving on to another topic, how did you choose this rebirth?

Neuroscience is materialist, which is not buddhist.

'will rarely discuss how to chose rebirths, and the details on past lifes. 'chosed privacy.
    edited December 2010
    Very cool, WK (to get back on topic). Just a note: who says we are our brain? We're much more than a brain. This ever-changing brain is one component of us, so there's a sort of permanence, for outward appearances anyway, with an inherent impermanence.
    It's the same as the fact that our cells are constantly changing, sloughing off, being replaced by new cells. Everything is in flux. Yet everything remains recognizable.
    Mind does change the brain. That's why we meditate; meditation changes the brain, it has been shown scientifically. It creates new neurons and can also develop different lobes of the brain. But...you probably knew that ;)

Did Siddharta Gotama talked about a brain?! Sutric reference.
    edited December 2010
    Neuroscience is materialist,

At the moment, I was a staunch materialist before Buddhism and wouldn't have thought otherwise is possible.
    which is not buddhist.
    We start where we are, nowhere else. Though I expect you know this.

The great thing about the boddhisattva goal is that you can work with the world as it is working on transforming revulsion of Samsara to something more useful to others. To do that you have to work in others' conceptual framework and talk the same language. If one is interested in one's own salvation then this doesn't matter.

Otherwise science, physics, cosmology, philosophy, neuroscience, psychology, medicine, even economics and politics (etc.) are all fertile grounds for Buddhism.

Cheers, WK
    edited December 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    At the moment, I was a staunch materialist before Buddhism and wouldn't have thought otherwise is possible.

We start where we are, nowhere else. Though I expect you know this.

The great thing about the boddhisattva goal is that you can work with the world as it is working on transforming revulsion of Samsara to something more useful to others. To do that you have to work in others' conceptual framework and talk the same language. If one is interested in one's own salvation then this doesn't matter.

Otherwise science, physics, cosmology, philosophy, neuroscience, psychology, medicine, even economics and politics (etc.) are all fertile grounds for Buddhism.

Cheers, WK

the brain can change its structure; however the brain is just a linker to the 8th consciousness which is in arupa-dhatu.

after satori, the brain changes itself to a happiest state.
  • edited December 2010
    after satori, the brain changes itself to a happiest state.

Once one reaches satori, does it become a permanent state? Or can one have a fleeting, or temporary experience of satori, after which one returns to the mundane state? Your statement sounds like once the mind experiences satori, physical (?) changes occur that enable a permanent state of satori.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Satori is just a flash of insight, but insight changes how you think in the same way direct experience does. If you think a fire's hot, that's good and all... but if you put your hand in a fire, you learn from it and will not do it again. That's satori. You don't fall backward; it's only temporary in that it lasts only until death.

The changes our brains undergo from our practice, be it Zen or otherwise, are only the same as they always undergo from learning.
    edited December 2010
    Once one reaches satori, does it become a permanent state? Or can one have a fleeting, or temporary experience of satori, after which one returns to the mundane state? Your statement sounds like once the mind experiences satori, physical (?) changes occur that enable a permanent state of satori.

you can get glimpses of nirvAna (through jhåna); but satori is once... don't know if it is differente for bodhisattvas.
    edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Satori is just a flash of insight, but insight changes how you think in the same way direct experience does. If you think a fire's hot, that's good and all... but if you put your hand in a fire, you learn from it and will not do it again. That's satori. You don't fall backward; it's only temporary in that it lasts only until death.

The changes our brains undergo from our practice, be it Zen or otherwise, are only the same as they always undergo from learning.

then why there's sutric references for nirvAna as "the deathless"... i think nirvAna is so beyond common experience that anatta is the most accurate approximation.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Because there is no death; enlightened mind sees this. There is no birth either, so "unborn" and "deathless".
    edited December 2010
    i just see a stream... and want to rest (actually start helping), get high either on rupa or arupa jhånas... and wait.
    Hi all,

In my view I see no difference between the Boddhisattva path and other paths. If the seeker is trying to emulate the Buddha then they will follow the same path, it doesn't matter what you call it.

As to anatta and deathless, anything that is conditioned leads to suffering due to its impermanence. Nirvana is said to be deathless because it is unconditioned and hence not impermanent and therefore there is no death in Nirvana.

There is great debate by those that say that you become enlightened and those that say that you are already enlightened and just realise it. The first set of people need to explain how nirvana is permanent if it is learned (and hence conditioned), the second set of people don't have to explain that because nirvana is already there. Of course both sets of arguments are, to some degree, faulty (yet still very useful) because they assume that reality as it is will conform to our concepts of what it should be. Whenever nirvana is explained in terms they are only approximations. Often it is explained in terms that don't make sense to us like unconditioned, nonarising, nonabiding, unceasing, unborn, free from reference points, ...etc. A paraphrased quote that I have heard is something like this: all streams flow into the one ocean, to me that sums up the different vehicles and shows that they are the same, but again this quote has many different levels of interpretation. It can also indicate nonduality and the all encompassing aspect of Nirvana.

As to getting attached to meditative experiences, it may sometimes be unavoidable, but its a long path and takes a while for the thick sticky fog to clear. Its easier if you maintain detachment from the start, from what I've read, under these situations, progression is then quicker.

Cheers, WK
  • "Often it is explained in terms that don't make sense to us like unconditioned, nonarising, nonabiding, unceasing, unborn, free from reference points"

those terms actually make sense...
    I have just finished reading the book. In simplistic summary the book is demonstrating that the brain is a dynamic phenomenon that has the ability to change itself depending on external interactions (perceptions) and internal interactions (thoughts). It then goes on to say that what we are capable of observing and what we observe is also subject to the same plastic change. Hence the way we perceive is dependent and changeable and that there is no such think as definite objective phenomena only objective approximations. So many buddhist concepts all tied together: karma (our propensity to perceive and interact), impermanence, non-self (as stated above), interdependence.

Cheers, WK

"Often it is explained in terms that don't make sense to us like unconditioned, nonarising, nonabiding, unceasing, unborn, free from reference points"

those terms actually make sense...
    Good point Vincenzi, yet aren't they merely approximations or pointers?

Cheers, WK

• Good job, WK. Thanks for the book report.
  • nirvåna is fine... why use the pointers (after a certain . in the path)?
    deathless... death of dukkha. cessation of dukkha.
    nirvåna
  • edited December 2010
    I'm reading a fantastic book at the moment about the plasticity of the brain ([URL="http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers/dp/067003830X"]http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers