Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Truth or Power, opposite directions.

edited December 2010 in Philosophy
If we discover how power comes about, personal power, the power of conspiracy, which is also called 'chain of command', meaning it's none of your business how orders are conceived, then we are seeing that everything we are told to hold dear is dear only to the plotters.

Who says a prayer wheel does anything? If it feels empty to spin it you are getting closer to the truth, not further from it. What does a chant do but make you a bigot; the animals can't chant. Better to put on a cricket recording, if you don't have crickets.

Who tells us who has become enlightened, whose texts will be called Truth and emphasized, and who is making progress and who is not? Obviously if the power has gone to the exact opposite of the most religious, then the ones climbing the ladder quickest are also the least religious. Approval becomes an insult!

Where is a place not veiled from perception by a conscious intent, a place not cloaked in fiction and secrecy? Wherever you are, be it a monastery or a war-zone, meditation is to find that the accepted is the veil, and from this perception what is real will begin to emerge.

Isn't your own thought working out how to veil your motivations, your goals, your victories, your gains, leaving the observer to exculpate you entirely, collecting you into his experience as a very harmless and candid person? You think out how to be disarming. To whom do you ascribe freedom from such thinking? Such thinking is a degree of power, and better such thinking is more power.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Wake up sheeple, the voice of reason has come to declare the self-refuting proposition that no voices of reason ought be trusted! Follow this lone light in the world of delusion, for surely he alone points to truth!

... Alright, sorry for poking fun at somebody who's banned now, I know that's rude.

I actually agree with parts of this diatribe, in the sense that I agree with all self-refuting propositions (except this one :p).
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Tsoanra wrote: »
    Isn't your own thought working out how to veil your motivations, your goals, your victories, your gains, leaving the observer to exculpate you entirely, collecting you into his experience as a very harmless and candid person? You think out how to be disarming. To whom do you ascribe freedom from such thinking? Such thinking is a degree of power, and better such thinking is more power.

That's an awfully cynical view. Have you lost the ability to be genuine? Or is this a Western thing? I can't help but notice that a lot of Westerners tend to hide behind masks (I'm E. European, myself). My answer to your questions is, No, I don't work out how to veil my motives (what?! Who has the energy for all that calculation and deceit? If this is the way a lot of people think, that scares me), or how to be disarming. Stop the planet, I want to get off, if this is what it's about.

I agree with you about power structures, though.

Are you really banned, or did you choose that label yourself? If you're banned, how can you be posting here?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I didn't know he was banned, but he sure was a downer. I hope that out of this he perhaps glimpses that there are other views than his, that perhaps there is a way out of suffering other than to simply "give in" to animalistic nature.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I sent him an e-mail, if for nothing else than to figure out what he was actually trying to get at; for all of our perceptions of his attitude, he may have been pointing toward a truth. I have no idea what that may be. :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Tsoanra, could you clarify what the discussion topic, or question, is, please? Can you boil it down to a couple of sentences? I can't get a handle on it, to discuss it. I suspect I'm in agreement with you on some points, but it's not clear to me.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Dakini, Tsoanra is banned and won't be able to clarify anything.
  • edited December 2010
    well i see some truth in there, but uh i think he's trying too hard to be mystical and some things lose their intended meaning :rolleyes:

(side note: is there a set of rules somewhere about forum conduct? or is banishment mainly directed towards trolls and trouble makers?)
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    nonamist, I don't know about the rules, I suppose the standard rules apply. The mods and admins seems to be fairly patient. Some threads get locked once in a while, but banning seems to be rare.

Anyway, nothing to worry about.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    nonamist wrote: »

(side note: is there a set of rules somewhere about forum conduct? or is banishment mainly directed towards trolls and trouble makers?)

(a) People are expected to act with politeness, civility, dignity and respect.
    You know, standard acceptable social behaviour.
    (b) usually, yes.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    federica wrote: »
    (a) People are expected to act with politeness, civility, dignity and respect.
    You know, standard acceptable social behaviour.
    (b) usually, yes.

For our future reference, could you please point out what Tsoanra did wrong? I didn't see anything egregious on this or the other thread, but maybe I missed something. I've actually seen a lot worse on this site, from people who didn't get banned.
  • edited December 2010
    I haven't been around to say what is and isn't cause for banning, but his trolling got pretty blatant when he asked Artemis if his (?) wife died. That was his last post, and it was in a thread that he had already been informed by an admin he needed to cool it.

See <a href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=150887#post150887">here</a&gt;
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Oh, thank you Puckfist. I missed that thread, and I'm glad I did. Artemis is female, I'm pretty sure.
  • edited December 2010
    Puckfist wrote: »
    I haven't been around to say what is and isn't cause for banning, but his trolling got pretty blatant when he asked Artemis if his (?) wife died.

Fwiw, I'm female. I'm honestly surprised people don't know that--is my profile picture androgynous-looking by some standards? Artemis is also a goddess name from classical Greek mythology (Diana to the Romans), though admittedly someone not of a Western cultural upbringing (like the poster in question) is less likely to know that.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Dakini wrote: »
    For our future reference, could you please point out what Tsoanra did wrong? I didn't see anything egregious on this or the other thread, but maybe I missed something. I've actually seen a lot worse on this site, from people who didn't get banned.

No, I will not point anything out.

For future reference, a Moderator is not accountable to members, only to Admin and other Mods.
    There have been rare occasions when Admin have reversed a decision made by a Mod or Mods, but it's as rare as rocking-horse pooh.
    Mods are not required to explain or justify, clarify or point anything out to members, where no explanation is necessary.
    Please take it as read though:

Any decision we make is for the good of the forum, and as such, entirely justified.

Members are required to remain civil, respectful, and to engage in discussions with others without resorting to insinuations, insults, name-calling, belittling or trolling/flaming.
    These are not newbuddhist precepts, these are standards of social behaviour applicable to all and every situation.

This is a friendly, easy-going and relaxed ambience.
    Our aim is to keep it that way.

Thanks!:)
This discussion has been closed.