Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yogacara and a Cosmic Consciousness

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited December 2010 in Philosophy
I have a pesty habit of projecting a cosmic consciousness onto many things Buddhist. Naturally when I read about Yogacara the implications of a cosmic consciousness run deep and are there for the taking if I'm already projecting it. Would anybody else draw the same conclusion? Or am I over-projecting my ideas like usual?

As a side-note, this statement from the Eight Consciousness article on Wikipedia makes me wonder if I might have a lot in common with non-dual Hindu concepts (or all those denominations that aren't Vaishnavas) as I cannot escape ideas of a collective consciousness, I know that I cannot ascertain anything for sure, but I also believe in likelihoods, and this is the supreme likelihood that binds me.
Several Yogācāra notions basic to the Abhidharma wing [of Yogācāra] came under severe attack by other Buddhists, especially the notion of ālaya-vijñāna, which was denounced as something akin to the Hindu notions of ātman (permanent, invariant self) and prakṛti (primordial substrative nature from which all mental, emotional and physical things evolve). Eventually the critiques became so entrenched that the Abhidharma wing atrophied. By the end of the eighth century it was eclipsed by the logico-epistemic tradition [of Yogācāra] and by a hybrid school that combined basic Yogācāra doctrines with Tathāgatagarbha thought. The logico-epistemological wing in part side-stepped the critique by using the term citta-santāna, "mind-stream", instead of ālaya-vijñāna, for what amounted to roughly the same idea. It was easier to deny that a "stream" represented a reified self. On the other hand, the Tathāgatagarbha hybrid school was no stranger to the charge of smuggling notions of selfhood into its doctrines, since, for example, it explicitly defined the tathāgatagarbha as "permanent, pleasurable, self, and pure (nitya, sukha, ātman, śuddha). Many Tathāgatagarbha texts, in fact, argue for the acceptance of selfhood (ātman) as a sign of higher accomplishment. The hybrid school attempted to conflate tathāgatagarbha with the ālaya-vijñāna.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-8">[9]</sup>

I can't criticize this beyond the fact that it is, technically, beyond the scope of human knowledge, but it is amazing food for thought that has infinite allure and philosophical day-dreaminess for me, unfortunately, many disagree.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    It is important to note that Buddhism (speaking generally here) with all its talk of selflessness and non-duality, still maintains individuality. Individuals are enlightened, not atman. Sentient beings become enlightened beings; it is not that the 'One within all sentient beings' becomes enlightened.

Of course this is a realistic notion of individuals existing in interdependence with others, not independent and self-reliant. The trick is maintaining one's individuality selflessly.
  • edited December 2010
    Prior to my delving into buddhism, in my own personal extensive spiritual search, I found many truths that I later found to be consistent with buddhism. One of the things I found was that all things stem from consciousness, as with the consciousness-only school of buddhism.

Personally, I believe that all of these different ideas within buddhism are, as the saying goes, just different fingers pointing to the moon. The buddha teaches whatever will help the individual on his own journey. Reality is indescribable. All of these different schools and teachings are just different ways of looking at reality. Use whatever helps you.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Of course, pragmatically, many traditions notably Shramanic and Vedic ones all have conviction in their liberating truths, and despite what I'm sometimes advised about the absolute superior truth of Buddhism (though I confess it is typically logically superior) I can't write them off as inferior vehicles (that strikes me as blind faith, either I accept blind faith or I listen to all their doctrines as imperfect aspects of the one truth though complete enough to reach me there, even if it's not as easy as Buddhism, for there are even denominations of Hindu Vaishnavas who literally are completely dualistic with Vishnu or Krishna playing as the supreme sky-daddy while their gurus teach of enlightenment as I understand). Point in case, and I believe I've seen Tipitaka quotes elucidate this, one's subtle ideas of ultimate reality doesn't really hinder one's progress towards liberation, in fact, those subtle ideas work to facilitate the path. In my case, a cosmic consciousness serves to furnish myself with absolute humility and bodhicitta.

On a non-pragmatic side, I am a perfectionist and I can't really believe in something I know is little more than conjecture, I say little because in my mind it's unlikely that X amounts of (or perhaps infinite) consciousnesses sprang forth in time immemorial, rather I figure awareness happened, hence a primordial consciousness and some way through the workings of confusion and ignorance it was partitioned into what appears to be multiple mental continuums. But talk about a circumspect philosophy! Though I see this as most likely it is still no more than conjecture therefore that little pragmatic theory above doesn't function on somebody as neurotic as I.

Concerning Upala's statement, I totally agree with what can be absolutely ascertained, which for many on these forums is all that ought to be discussed, I understand, but I am talking about Yogacara which seems to speak of a cosmic consciousness to me. And though, as I already said, I cannot have true conviction in such an idea, it is certainly my favorite idea to exercise and therefore if someone can corroborate my suspicions then I'd obviously be inclined to study Yogacara in great depth. So a corroboration is what I'm looking for I believe.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Why attain enlightenment if there are no others? But others are spacious just like you. Nothing is ever final between two people but if trust is there they can work through it.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Perhaps the concept of others being of a primordial one are part of the leaves in the forest, while I'm told to stick to those in the hand. While I agree for pragmatic purposes the fact remains that Yogacara and my suspicions seem to be running parallel and that's all I'm curious about. Note that Buddha said a knowledge of ultimate reality isn't necessary and he himself knew nothing of modern science nor as it appears of the universe and probably nothing about our very solar system for one of the unconjecturables were about the world, probably technically referring to earth, rather than the universe. That when combined with random hints in the scriptures makes Yogacara a popular school I see, but is it true?

Again, I know nothing is for certain, but my ultimate question is: Does the Yogacara school infer a cosmic consciousness?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    There are the things that change (phenomena), and then the things that are only abstractions of processes that function always the same (Dharma).

What would this cosmic consciousness be? If the former, it is conditioned and will at some point cease. If the latter, there's no substance to it... no changing, no experiencing.

The Buddha taught that there's no permanent or separate self in any conditioned phenomena. We have to work really hard to come to terms with that, since it goes against everything we've been taught and feel. We must find that place of honest introspection that allows us to let go of trying to find something "out there" and become focused on trying to figure out what's "here".

Peace will never come from asking unanswerable questions (I know the question about Yogacara's view isn't unanswerable, it's either yes or no, but the real question "is there a cosmic consciousness" is unanswerable). This is the trap, the obstacle to overcome, and it repeats. There's a knot being wound, and if it grasps to some idea it will become tighter and tighter around that idea, and become difficult to unwind despite what your direct experience will show you. This is how belief obstructs the path.

The place we need to find is where we're comfortable not knowing. "I don't know" is hard to admit to ourselves, but the fact is we may never know (in this life) about such things. So... we should concentrate on what we can find out, which is the true nature of all phenomena through diligent practice and meditation. :)

Namaste
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2010
    From what little I know of Yogacara, Valois. suggests to me that you may be taking the notion of cittamātra ('consciousness-only') as the whole of the Yogacara school. Or are you asking whether cittamātra implies cosmic consciousness?

I can certainly understand that, in the process of looking for shared ground, we encounter "Ah ha!" moments where similarity seems to leap out at us. As we engage in this search for reconciliation as a genuine part of our personal Right Action, these moments arise and can enthuse us as when we were children and proudly showed off a new skill or understanding. May I, however, as a visceral enthusiast put you on your guard: sometimes our reaction to the new understanding may be misplaced. I am never as clever at finding links and complementarities as I sometimes delude myself into believing.

Having rushed in "where angels fear to tread" and gotten (what a wonderful usage: may I borrow it back, you colonists?) seriously burned with embarrassment.

I don't know enough about either 'cosmic consciousness' or cittamātra to say if one implies the other. Should I thank you for a new area of investigation or shout at you for interrupting the washing-up?
  • edited December 2010
    valois wrote: »
    Does the Yogacara school infer a cosmic consciousness?
    [cribbed from here]
    the Buddhist theory of consciousness centers around the 5 sense consciousnesses and mind. Yogacara splits this mind into two: manovijnana and manas.

Manovijnana is the mind as it acts to apprehend its object (dharma), as the eye-consciousness seeks to apprehend its object (form). This mind is cogitative and deliberative but it is unsteady and easily interrupted. Its crudeness makes it easier to 'enlighten'.

Manas is the mind as it acts to generate the idea of personhood, the essence of a person. This mind is also cogitative and deliberative but it is steady and uninterrupted. Its subtlety makes it much harder to 'enlighten'.

So, if manovijnana has its 'external' objects, then what is the object of manas? The Yogacara say that the object of manas is alayavijnana; manas is attached to alayavijnana and regards it as the inner self.

Alayavijnana is called the ripening consciousness, the store consciousness, and the root consciousness "because it has many seeds (bija) that are of the nature of ripening in various ways."

Bija "are those which, found in the root-consciousness as various potential forces, immediately generate their own fruits." Bija are habit energy or perfuming energy, which comes in three types:

1) Image - refers to the dual structure of our perceptual activities

2) Discriminating influence - refers to the dual structure of our conceptual activities

3) Name - refers to the linguistic activities that involve naming and conceptualizing.

These three types of seeds are the potentials proceeding from 'grasping and the grasped' and are also the potential producing 'grasping and the grasped'. Thus they fuel the wheel of samsara.

So, alayavijnana bears the bija like the ground bears the seeds. It stores up the seeds that are perfumed by the defiled dharmas, and it is the object of attachment by manas resulting in the erroneous notion of atman. [It seems like this is saying that the alayavijnana is the seeds also. And this need not sound so weird: a cup carved of ice could hold liquid water.]

Alayavijnana:
    (1) is vipakacitta that holds bijas;
    (2) is the uninterrupted retributive mind;
    (3) is the mind in the course of transmigration;
    (4) is that which appropriates the body;
    (5) is the support for life and heat;
    (6) is the mind at conception and death;
    (7) exists by reason of namarupa;
    (8) is the substance of consciousness-food on which the other
    three foods (food in mouthfuls, food by contact and
    through aspiration) depend;
    (9) is the mind in nirodhasamapatti;
    (10) is the foundation for pure and impure dharmas.
    All of this still seems to be imputed on an individual continuum; I'll continue looking.
    Here's something from the same book that might titillate your 'collective' notions:
    one can experience the body and land belonging to another person because the content of the other's eighth consciousness resulting from its transformation is the basis of the contents of one's own consciousness. On the other hand, one's own bijas or indriyas are not experienced by others because the evolving eighth consciousness of the other is not the same as one's own evolving eighth consciousness. This is because not all sentient beings' bijas are of the same number. Therefore it should be said that we cannot ascertain whether or not the remote alambanapratyaya exists in the eighth consciousness in all cases of existents. (p. 74 ibid)
    I've got two other books here that I'm gonna look through....this
    What is the mental organ (manas)? It is the object of the store-consciousness (alayavijnanalambana) which always participates in the nature of self-notion associated with the four defilements.

[Notice that the roles are reversed. Here manas is the object of alayavijnana; above it was the other way around.]
    and this.
    The container consciousness itself is then a store of unmediated and karmically-formed experience which, in being mediated through 'realistic' words, appears to validate the pattern of its connatural biological extraversion. It is programmed to assume that external units of meaning (dharma) correspond to its internal knowing, and thus that there is a real subject who knows real objects. It constantly mistakes the appearance of images for the manifestation of realities, and so generates an assumed world of essences.

["connatural biological extraversion" I like that.]
    And I can't find a translation of or a book about Sandhinirmocana Sutra in my library.

OK, so, IMO, you would easier find notions of a collective consciousness within Indra's Net, the Flower Garland Sutra, and Chinese devotional Buddhisms. The first book I quote from up above, however is an excellent treatment of (collective) unconscious within Yogacara, Freud, and Jung. The author seems to conclude that comparisons should not be made hastily and that conclusions of similarity should not be drawn prematurely.
  • edited December 2010
    I would say continue in your own personal search for truth, forgetting whether it coincides with any buddhist school of thought.
  • edited December 2010
    What is generally called "cosmic consciousness" is typically one of the four formless realms, usually "infinite consciousness". The alayavijnana in later Yogacara is not conceived of as a substance and is only operative in deluded beings. When awareness does not recognize its own emptiness, it appears as the alayavijnana which functions as the basis for all of the delusions of samsara to arise.

Find a copy of The Buddha Within by Shenphen Hookham. She has a really wonderful elucidation of the three natures in Yogacara and Yogacara-Madhamaka.
  • edited December 2010
    To your other points about Hinduism, there is very little difference between Shankaradvaita and any of the Mahayana schools from the point of view of dharmakaya. Anybody who spends more than a cursory amount of time exploring the two will reach that conclusion.

Buddhism definitely has a plethora of skillful means and direct ways of approaching realization that are not quite so explicit in Vedanta and only in that way can i consider it superior.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    karmadorje wrote: »
    What is generally called "cosmic consciousness" is typically one of the four formless realms, usually "infinite consciousness". The alayavijnana in later Yogacara is not conceived of as a substance and is only operative in deluded beings. When awareness does not recognize its own emptiness, it appears as the alayavijnana which functions as the basis for all of the delusions of samsara to arise.

Find a copy of The Buddha Within by Shenphen Hookham. She has a really wonderful elucidation of the three natures in Yogacara and Yogacara-Madhamaka.

Really?

As Upala said and I probably should have clarified more, it might be better put to say a "collective unconscious". From my put of view, if there be a cosmic consciousness, it would be the absolutely most subtle awareness there is, the supreme primordial awareness that separates the dualistic idea of reality from non-reality. The singularity. Not even aware of it's own existence probably, which is probably why this illusion is occurring, to experience itself as I would typically expound my own philosophies. Which begins wrapping back around to what Simon said:
    I can certainly understand that, in the process of looking for shared ground, we encounter "Ah ha!" moments where similarity seems to leap out at us. As we engage in this search for reconciliation as a genuine part of our personal Right Action, these moments arise and can enthuse us as when we were children and proudly showed off a new skill or understanding. May I, however, as a visceral enthusiast put you on your guard: sometimes our reaction to the new understanding may be misplaced. I am never as clever at finding links and complementarities as I sometimes delude myself into believing.

So I'd like to ask everybody, especially you karmadorje and upalabhava, is a collective unconscious a perfectly valid idea in (especially Mahayana) Buddhism? Or am I seriously (and I won't forget your advice Journey) over-projecting my own ideas here trying to force misshaped jigsaw pieces to fit together to reconciliate my own unembraced limited understanding of the universe?
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Let me not forget to thank you Upala for what appears to be a lot of labour in all that typing, it's very appreciated.

You have that many Buddhist books on 'esotericy' subjects at your library? Damn, you really do work at a big library!
  • edited December 2010
    Let me not forget to thank you Upala for what appears to be a lot of labour in all that typing, it's very appreciated.

You have that many Buddhist books on 'esotericy' subjects at your library? Damn, you really do work at a big library!

No problem. It's the end of finals week; this place is slow. Here's some snippets from another book on the topic.
    The Yogacara texts, however, developed two further dimensions which remained relatively rudimentary in the Pali texts. First, this linguistic recursivity, which colors so much of our perceptual experience including our innate forms of self-grasping, now operates unconsciously, imperceptible "even for the wise;" and second, these processes are karmically productive at a collective as well as individual level -- that is, they create a common "world". The fact that we are "linguistified" creatures constitutes a distinctive third, unconscious yet thoroughly intersubjective feedback system which, like the other major "engines" of samsara, karma and klesa, continuously proliferates and perpetuates samsaric existence, but which, unlike them, bridges our individual and collective experience of the "world," connecting our similar karmic activities with the similar "worlds" these activities bring about.

Since language is a shared medium of interaction, the impressions of conventional usage impart similar influences upon our perceptual and conceptual processes, conveyed through the most fundamental levels of unconscious minds. These influences in the form of the "impressions of language" comprise the common aspect of the alaya-vijnana, our common "psychic inheritance" if you will, which allows us to experience the world through similar perceptions and, all too often, provokes us to respond to these perceptions in similarly afflicted ways. The impressions of conventional usage thus both reflect the common discriminative concepts, names, and phenomena that comprise our social and cultural lives, as well as facilitate further common experiences and activities which, over time and in the aggregates, bring about and perpetuate this common "receptacle world" which "appears similarly to all who experience it in accordance with their own similar karma."
    So I'd like to ask everybody, especially you karmadorje and upalabhava, is a collective unconscious a perfectly valid idea in (especially Mahayana) Buddhism? Or am I seriously (and I won't forget your advice Journey) over-projecting my own ideas here trying to force misshaped jigsaw pieces to fit together to reconciliate my own unembraced limited understanding of the universe?

I think it is a valid concept, but one should be careful not to reify and concretize what is an abstraction. I don't think Buddhism would posit an existent deep pool of memory or mind from which individual minds arise and owe their existence. I think it is better to think of the collective unconscious as being that {set} of shared preconditions that result in diverse sentient beings experiencing reality similarly. In this way also, Buddhanature should be thought of; tathagatagarbha is not a concrete substance within enlightening beings, it is the set of qualities found in common in those on the path to Buddhahood.
  • edited December 2010
    Philosophy is the most dangerous science. Buddha solved the riddle of consciousness. He figured out what a soul really was.

Assume the soul exists. Choose almost any ancient theory of the soul. Follow that line of logic to its ultimate conclusion.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Assume the soul doesn't exist, because it's not the Buddha's teaching and we can not find it.

Assume hugist has some idea he believes, and may share with us? :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Aha Upala, nice work again. Very enlightening.

I wish I could have these books in my hands but alas I live in Rochester, Indiana without job or spare money. Fortunately some I can read online.

Unrelated but worthy of mentioning, I really enjoyed the use of the word engine there. I'm going to play around with that in the future.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Oooooh yeaaah!

Now perhaps more of Upala's recommendations are available free of charge, I haven't yet went on an egg hunt, but I just did an experiment with the last exert because I particularly enjoyed both it and the book's title and without even resorting to torrents I found this at the top of the search results!
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Cosmic consciousness is a Hindu idea and have no place in any traditions of Buddhism, including Yogacara...

The 8th consciousness (and all other consciousnesses) is an individual, momentary, non-substantial stream of consciousness. Nothing cosmic.

As for non-dual awareness: this too, is empty, non-substantial, momentary stream of awareness. A cosmic non-dual awareness have no place in Buddhism: it is a Hindu teaching.

It is very subtle... many people who realized non-duality misunderstood it to be a cosmic essence. See Thusness/PasserBy's Seven Stages of Enlightenment for more information - from Stage 5/Anatta realization onwards, the empty nature of consciousness starts to be realized and notions of a cosmic substance is removed.

"...This individual stream of consciousness is itself non-dual and entire; the need to reify a Universal Brahman is understood as the karmic tendency to 'solidify' experiences..."
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Aha, thank you.

If this teaching is correct, it will obliterate every belief I have and leave me vulnerable like Nietzschean Nihilism. Thank you. ;)

It's always a pleasant feeling being vulnerable. At least now I can be humbled and begin seeking real convictions now that the slate is clean as Nietzsche would say.

Will I make it over that barricade? Something tells me that it's the mark of a true Buddhist, would you say so?
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Aha, thank you.

If this teaching is correct, it will obliterate every belief I have and leave me vulnerable like Nietzschean Nihilism. Thank you. ;)

It's always a pleasant feeling being vulnerable. At least now I can be humbled and begin seeking real convictions now that the slate is clean as Nietzsche would say.

Will I make it over that barricade? Something tells me that it's the mark of a true Buddhist, would you say so?
    It's great you overcome beliefs... it is necessary to suspend all beliefs to look at the nature of reality afresh. By direct looking, we will discover the truth ourselves... not by holding on to concepts.

I am not familiar with Nietzsche but this certainly isn't Nihilism.

Why?

Hearing... seeing... thinking... experiencing is still as clear, vivid, obvious, undeniable as before.

It is just seen that there is no agent behind experiencing... no 'me'... nor a Big Self... or a Cosmic Consciousness... behind this arising thought, sound, sight.

In seeing, there is just scenery, no seer... there is no inside or outside or an agent behind seeing... In hearing, just sound, no hearer... In thinking, just thoughts, no thinker. Just experiences arising due to interdependent origination.

There is just vivid but insubstantial arisings... It's arising rejects the notion of 'non-existence' while its immediate subsidance (due to its impermanent nature) rejects the notion of an inherent 'existence'.

The truth of Buddhism is thus beyond nihilism (non-existence) nor eternalism (inherent existence).
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    xabir wrote: »
    It's great you overcome beliefs... it is necessary to suspend all beliefs to look at the nature of reality afresh. By direct looking, we will discover the truth ourselves... not by holding on to concepts.

I am not familiar with Nietzsche but this certainly isn't Nihilism.

Why?

Hearing... seeing... thinking... experiencing is still as clear, vivid, obvious, undeniable as before.

It is just seen that there is no agent behind experiencing... no 'me'... nor a Big Self... or a Cosmic Consciousness... behind this arising thought, sound, sight.

In seeing, there is just scenery, no seer... there is no inside or outside or an agent behind seeing... In hearing, just sound, no hearer... In thinking, just thoughts, no thinker. Just experiences arising due to interdependent origination.

There is just vivid but insubstantial arisings... It's arising rejects the notion of 'non-existence' while its immediate subsidance (due to its impermanent nature) rejects the notion of an inherent 'existence'.

The truth of Buddhism is thus beyond nihilism (non-existence) nor eternalism (inherent existence).

Of course you're right from an eastern perspective, and mostly on a western one to, but if I maintain a proper understanding of Nietzsche's own lifestyle of his philosophy, it is step towards his, and especially is ideal of society's, spiritual progress. The idea here to which I'm referring is to simply wipe the slate clean of all conceptualizations only to overcome your vulnerability, once done you can begin building a real, non-culturally socialized truth--of course in the west there's naturally going to be re-conceptualizations, something that must be avoided in the case of Buddhism.
  • edited December 2010
    Once again, I can only stress don't change your entire beliefs cuz some guy on a forum told you they weren't buddhist. I don't fully understand what you mean by cosmic consciousness, but if you mean a shared collective conscious I don't see what's so unbuddhist about that. The buddha makes clear that there is no separation, it just depends what you think that non-separation is. I don't see what's so un-buddhist about saying it's a consciousness, and I don't see why that's incompatible with the consciousness only school of buddhism.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Of course you're right from an eastern perspective, and mostly on a western one to, but if I maintain a proper understanding of Nietzsche's own lifestyle of his philosophy, it is step towards his, and especially is ideal of society's, spiritual progress. The idea here to which I'm referring is to simply wipe the slate clean of all conceptualizations only to overcome your vulnerability, once done you can begin building a real, non-culturally socialized truth--of course in the west there's naturally going to be re-conceptualizations, something that must be avoided in the case of Buddhism.
    Actually I'm not afraid of concepts... Concepts are an important way to reorientate our 'view' of reality. The Buddha's teachings, dharma seals, teaching of dependent origination and so on... should be at least understood conceptually at first. 'Right view', the first of the eightfold path is initially conceptual... and it is a necessary 'raft' or 'antidote' to our wrong perception of reality. Only later does it become non-conceptual insight. Don't be afraid of (right) concepts but don't stop there as well...
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Journey, I agree. Something, however, does seem to ring true about the statement; it seems that finding the courage to stop chasing after endless dialectics about the true nature of anything--especially the ultimate question of reality, is one of the key tenets of Buddhism. Moreover in the case of certain aspects of Yogacara, it seems that this is entirely ignored, which is especially unfortunate for me, because my own favoured philosophies will easily creep into a system of thought that I barely understand but whose appeal is particularly alluring on the sole basis of those few parallels. I'm reminded of this quote:
    "We need to be openminded about all of this. What we try to do in learning the Dharma is to remove the three faults of a vase. If a vase has a hole in the bottom, whatever we pour in, goes out. We don’t remember it. The second is that if a vase is upside down, it is closed, so nothing goes in. This is like immediately saying "No!" to anything we hear. The third is that if a vase is dirty, then whatever we pour into it gets dirty. If we have all sorts of preconceptions, then we project them onto what we hear. We don’t really listen. Please try not to reject a presentation before listening to it. Listen to the whole system. Try to understand it. Don’t just reject every difficult point."
    xabir, I agree, but I don't think the connotations of our uses of 'concept' were the same. I was talking in a certain, overall, absolute sense. Whereas you're speaking in a conventional way, as you said it only functions initially as a raft. Furthermore, you're talking about an instrument of comprehending Buddhism's core teachings whereas I'm dealing with the fundamental nature of reality which is not only not integral towards Buddhism, it isn't even advertised as far as I know, on the basis that such knowledge is unattainable.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Hi valois,

My belief is that ultimate reality is "as it is", empty of intrinsic existence. Relative reality is dependent, to some degree, on the view of the being in question and the world view of their co-inhabitants. Buddhism has many tried and tested paths to ultimate reality, yet there will always be ground breakers, sometimes recognised, sometimes ignored, sometimes deluded. I have seen quoted that there are 84,000 paths for the 84,000 delusions. I suspect that the real number is innumerable. One of the fundamentals of Buddhism is impermanence so it makes sense that Dharma itself is fluid and changing.

However, its much quicker following a path that's already been tread rather than cutting our own new path from scratch. I sometimes get the impression that some Westerners wish to do this. I don't think that they understand that its like building your own car before driving to work, aka reinventing the wheel. Also, by result of treading the pre-existing path, the dharma will be shaped by personal understanding anyway. Nevertheless, this is not aimed at you, just a general observation that I have.

I don't subscribe to a universal consciousness, yet I imagine that if this was understood as a relative phenomenon, then I don't see that it is directly in contradiction to Buddhism. Maybe the "Wisdom mind of the Buddha's" refers to something like this? I cannot deny that I've considered it. For instance where do Buddha's go after paranirvana and how do they continue to help beings? Are they responsible for our appearance of reality? This is very theistic stuff and I don't ponder it for a long time, yet I would be violating the rules of my meditation if I rejected these thoughts as I'm meant to practise non-rejection and non-acceptance. Ideas come and they go.

Even the term atman, is merely a pointer to something said to exist inherently. If the atman were to exist supported by emptiness then I do not even have a problem with this. Again, this not my personal view, yet I could easily accept another Buddhist if they had such a view, though I would insist that it is not inherently existing.

I have a primitive, as yet not fully formed, view on reality and the individual. That is the luminous, glowing, mind stream of the individual is supported on emptiness, (ie not inherently existing). This mind stream is actually non-dualistic and non-locatable. The condensation, differentiation, or reification of the mind stream is conventional reality. However, I qualify this by saying that I only hold this idea at the moment.

Anyway, time to go. Have fun!

Cheers, WK
  • I like your line of thought. Please if you will, elabourate on how a mental continuum may exist via emptiness/voidness? I can sort of imagine it but it again seems to indicate something that nonetheless exists on some level, at least, that which exists (outside of time and space) solely to render the illusion of reality into a conventional dualistic reality, isn't that a sort of atman? It seems no matter how I look at it I find faults in everything.
  • valois, I would recommend you read Eckhart Tolle's work. He suggests that who we really are is consciousness, which is infinite and timeless and supercedes all forms. That consciousness is a stillness, since it is infinite.
  • Trungpa Rinpoche in the Lion's Roar said that every circumstance is workable.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    valois, I would recommend you read Eckhart Tolle's work. He suggests that who we really are is consciousness, which is infinite and timeless and supercedes all forms. That consciousness is a stillness, since it is infinite.
    I did a little research before seeking some online Tolle book and I noticed after his name in Google that 'criticism' was one of the most popular searches. I scrolled about for some trash talkin' and I found this:
    Yet, as impressive and refreshing as the book is, Tolle's presentation of the spiritual life is not without its disconcerting moments, and some of his conclusions are worth a second look. Are we really in the middle of a "profound transformation that is taking place in the collective consciousness of the planet and beyond," even as our "social, political, and economic structures . . . enter the final stage of collapse"? Are women really "closer to enlightenment" than men, and is their monthly menstrual cycle poised to become the powerful catalyst for their widespread awakening? Does greater consciousness actually lead to a "significant slowing down of the aging of the physical body"? Whatever the ultimate veracity of these and other unusual declarations, their inclusion in the book only served to raise further questions, rather than illuminating or clarifying the territory of enlightenment.
    Sounds like my kind of man. Even the Mayans, as I've read from some very shady sources, believed the same. hehe

Do you have a particular book in mind? It seems like The Power of Now is his shining achievement?
  • Well, i'm just reading my first book by him right now. I intended to get "A new earth," which I heard good things about, but it wasn't in so I got "Oneness with all life," which apparently is selections from a new earth. So I would say a new earth or power of now would be good.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Trungpa Rinpoche in the Lion's Roar said that every circumstance is workable.
    Could you please elabourate, I'm thinking that maybe you're implying that all views have merit? (Which is a meritable thing, of course! I'm just a terrible interpreter.)
  • Maybe it wouldn't be good on second thought.

I still can't escape a collective (un)consciousness. All the reasons people give for its fallacies apply themselves to our mental-continuum. Why can't there be a supra-mental-continuum? It's perfectly plausible and in fact makes the most sense when considering buddha nature and when also considering that all the shramanic and vedic religions believe they have found the superior path. Obviously Buddhism makes the most sense, but often that superior sense is on account of admitting that certain basic questions can't be answered. Buddhism seeks to stop exercising thoughts on impossible ways of existing. Does a collective (un)consciousness conflict with this, no. But most people on this forum are pretty convicted that the idea is silly, so I'm inclined to try to ignore the thoughts on a provisional faith, like I would with rebirth, to see if the outcome is as advertised.

I guess I'll read the damn book. =/
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Is this collective consciousness that you speak of sort of a pantheistic thought? From they way I have feel, I sort of consider the whole encompassing universe and reality to be a collective consciousness, infinite and ever changing. We are part of it, and it is part of us; we are one.

Or thats how I perceive it to be. :hiding:

I don't know how flawed my thinking is though. :dunce:
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I don't know enough about Pantheism, ironically it has been on my to-do list. I certainly know it rings a chord with me. Does pantheism attribute some sort of life-force to plants or even to non-organic things? I guess even then it could still have many parallels for if all of reality is an illusion of the great consciousness then in absolute non-conventional terms they have some sort of life-force.

I can at least say that pantheism can certainly be a product of a collective (un)consciousness and I think that Buddhism and a collective unconsciousness can function together. Whether the three can coexist is a mystery to me, it depends on how one defines Pantheism.
  • Pantheism says that the universe is God.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Pantheism says that the universe is God.
    In short, yeah, pretty much. Though, God, of course, has a myriad of meanings.

By definition, God means "the supernatural being conceived as the perfect and omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe."

So, that said, simply, its the belief that the universe IS reality, it is everything, it is infinite. And as I said, from they way I have feel, I sort of consider the whole encompassing universe and reality to be a collective "consciousness", per se, infinite and ever changing. We are part of it, and it is part of us; we are one.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure the universe is infinite, or that the universe is a finite expression of reality. I'm of the opinion that for whatever reason I exist so could an infinitude of other expressions of reality exist. Maybe they do, maybe they don't; who knows? The more I think about it the more pantheism sounds like Brahma. I know little of both so my opinion is worthless. But oddly people told me the same things on the many other occasions that I've suggested a collective consciousness, that it sounds like I'm describing Brahma. It seems to me that it's all possible as a fundamental layer of conventional reality, but they dissolve as considerations when you approach absolute reality. Again, it seems possible that our individual mental continuums are simply (to use my own terminology) partitions of the supra-consciousness, and arguments that this supra-consciousness by definition has a lasting soul (I should say 'inherent permanent existence') is illogical, because by the same standards I could say that a mental continuum has a lasting soul. We can ascertain nothing, so let me state that I hope I'm not encouraging a loop of impossible theorizing. Maybe we ought to make a thread on the subject in the Member's section?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    We all want to believe; this is part of our suffering, that we can't be at peace with what is in our direct experience.