Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why can't mind-body be self?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm reading "How to see yourself as you really are" by the dalai lama and there's one part of the book, and buddhist philosophy in general, that I can't wrap my head around. Why can't mind-body be self?

Now I understand that all things exist only in terms of their dependent origination and that all things are empty. But I feel like in my understanding of those things i've sort of skipped over a middle step, namely why can't mind-body be self.

Here are the points HHDL makes on this issue.

1. "I" and mind-body would have to be utterly and in all ways one. - ok, that makes sense.
2. In that case, asserting an "I" would be pointless. - I don't understand what is meant here.
3. It would be impossible to think of "my body" or "my head" or "my mind." - again, I don't understand what he means here. "My head" simply means a part of me. I feel like what he's saying is simply a play on words.
4. When mind and body no longer exist, the self would not exist. -True, but this is what many people believe.
4. Since mind and body are plural, a person's selves also would be plural - I get this.
5. Since the "I" is just one, mind and body also would be one - I get this.
6. Just as mind and body are produced and disintegrate, so it would have to be asserted that the "I" is inherently produced and inherently disintegrates. In this case, neither the pleasurable effects of virtuous actions nor the painful effects of non-virtuous actions would bear fruit for us, or we would be experiencing the effects of actions we ourselves did not commit. - why? why couldn't you just go through the effects in the period beore disintegration?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    We would have to closely define "self" in order to proceed here. When you write "self", what do you mean exactly? Is it permanent or not? I think that's what HHDL is driving at here- that no permanent ongoing self can be separated from the aggregates that make it up. They arise dependently. But is "self" more than a concept? If so, what is it?

But I invite other definitions of "self" in order to proceed here. I submit that "mind" does not inherently exist, that it's just a concept, and that "body" does not inherently exist, because it's composed of constituent parts and those constituent parts can be reduced to their smallest subatomic constituent parts.

Are you the same "self" that you were 20 years ago? If so, you would not have "changed" at all.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The Dalai Lama comes from the Gelugpa school, which tries to approach Buddhism using logic. It's not for everyone. Not-self is really something to be experienced as a result of meditation practice, not something to be reasoned out. To say that mind-body is or is not self is an ontological assertion which doesn't have much bearing on the purpose of the practice.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't really know. I agree with his conclusions, I just don't understand why mind-body is not self anymore than anything is not self. I mean, there is no permanent, unchanging self, as you say, but...idk I just don't get what he's saying as I quoted in OP.

And I love logic and philosophy. It is logic that brought me to buddhism. This is why not understanding the logic of a certain aspect is bothering me.
  • edited December 2010
    We would have to closely define "self" in order to proceed here. When you write "self", what do you mean exactly? Is it permanent or not? I think that's what HHDL is driving at here- that no permanent ongoing self can be separated from the aggregates that make it up. They arise dependently. But is "self" more than a concept? If so, what is it?

But I invite other definitions of "self" in order to proceed here. I submit that "mind" does not inherently exist, that it's just a concept, and that "body" does not inherently exist, because it's composed of constituent parts and those constituent parts can be reduced to their smallest subatomic constituent parts.

Which in turn can be reduced to even smaller parts.

So yeah, I agree that self is just a concept. Just like a chair is a concept. No human concept "exists". We interpret reality in terms of concepts.
  • edited December 2010
    I think a six-part question is not clear enough to be answered here. I have read a lot of HHDL's stuff, and what you quote sounds kind of convoluted for him- that is, he usually doesn't present things in such a complex way, at least based on what I have read by him. Can you put your questions in other words?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    In short, the teachings on no-self/anatta are only there to show that there is no abiding or separate self. There is a true self self, and the sutras show that this true self is undefinable; it is that which still exists when the task is done, when all duality has abated. It can't be said to be the mind-body, because the enlightened mind does not associate or identify itself with the mind-body; indeed with any of the aggregates. So what is this true self? You have to find out. :)

Think of no-self only as there not being any abiding/permanent or separate self and don't worry about trying to defining what is really there; that's what enlightenment shows you.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The mind and body are an experience. No subject object. Just awareness.
  • edited December 2010
    Because the mind-body is impermanent. There is no permanent everlasting component (is a self) in the khandhas.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited December 2010
    As Ven Sumedho said, enlightenment is here and now, the present moment that is at ease, no past, no future, THE purely present moment, that is the existence of the "Buddha mind".

That is a 'no thinking mind'. That is a very ordinary and natural state of mind, without identity of I, me, mine. Like you are sitting in front of PC, opening the mail box, reading my mail, and you hear the sounds around, you purely know that sound, perhaps of typing, woman voice, man voice, somebody's voice, a baby crying, the awareness is there, embracing everything, knowing everything, as it is, at this present moment. Just a sense of natural ease.

It is only when you switch this "Buddha mind" to delusion mind (grasping of I, me, mine), then all the suffering arises. I read a good simile of a man with a drinking habit, always he will drink, until one day he got really sick and he has to give up this habit for the sake of his life. Since then, on the occassions when wine is served in front of him, he will still have the thought of wanting to drink, but he will just leave it ( letting go the thought without grasping, as he know the result will be suffering, and the thought itself is anatta). So, he remains a healthy man though he is still having the thought of wanting to drink.

So, just abide in the awareness, this "Buddha mind", then you will not involve (I, me, mine) in the thought (understand it just the result of kamma). No need to deliberately push it away or stop it. The nature of it, is to arise due to conditions, stay temporarily and vanish. Just see it with the natural feeling. No need to identify. The Knots Untied
    Let me give a simple illustration. [Pls Puts on a shoe with the laces tied tight ] This is the 'self'. It's out of place here in the meditation hall, isn't it? All of you are naturally barefoot. No need for shoes in here. "I am the only one" parading around with a 'self'. What do we do when the shoe starts to hurt, when this self-complex becomes aware of its dis-ease? Often we grab one end of the knot and pull it even tighter: "My damn boss is the problem!" or "If I wasn't stuck in this stupid job...." We might then pull the other end — making the knot tighter again: "Oh, it's all my fault. I'm no good. I never do anything right." Now the knot is very tight. It really hurts. What is freedom? This: [Unties shoelace by gently pulling apart both strings at once] It's as simple as that. Then we actually know for ourselves because the painful tightness is gone. Now we can hold up the two ends of the shoelace and see that the whole painful complex was only the knotting up of those conditions. No more, no less.

Be careful here. Don't fall into thinking that the "self" is absolutely evil and must be smashed to pieces. That itself is just another delusion. Buddhism does not say that. When you and I leave the meditation hall, we naturally put on our own footwear. Not somebody else's. In that respect, we all have a sense of "self". [There is a process which when seen together forms a unique charactor or personality BUT not a concrete unchanging Being or Self]. There's nothing wrong with that. The shoe comes in handy sometimes when we go outside. But we don't identify ourselves as that. We freely wear it, and freely take it off. [I do not know about you but it is clear that we need to wear a shoe when the occasion demands BUT the shoe is certainly NOT us! ]
  • edited December 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I'm reading "How to see yourself as you really are" by the dalai lama and there's one part of the book, and buddhist philosophy in general, that I can't wrap my head around. Why can't mind-body be self? .....

I suppose mind-body can be self: that is, if self is defined as a label for the ever changing and impermanent mind-body complex. But, as a label, the 'self' cannot have an inherent existence of its own.

Some teachers say that 'not-self' can only be experienced through 'direct insights' in meditation practice. I'm not sure how many of us will be able to actually experience 'direct insights' in this life. Let's remain hopeful, though.... ;)
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I agree with sukhita.

Plus, think about it. If I cut off my hand, the hand instantaneously goes from being "me" to "not me", an inanimate object that used to be my hand but is now just dead meat. "I" remain, yet my body is fundamentally different. Same with the mind, if you get amnesia and forget who you are your personality will undergo a dramatic shift as your consiousness lacks a historical framework through which to interpret the world - the old you was afraid of dogs thanks to a dog attack when you were 11, the new you is not afraid of dogs because there was no attack from the new perspective.
    Now, I'm not saying that we aren't distinct entities, to declare such is foolishness. But if the mind-body can be altered, or completely re-created, that demonstrates the fact that self is more a convention to distinguish the POV of one mind-body from another than it is an inherent property of the mind-body.
  • edited December 2010

And I love logic and philosophy. It is logic that brought me to buddhism. This is why not understanding the logic of a certain aspect is bothering me.

Me too. I get excited and sit down to study some Buddhist writer, whose thinking is supposed to be based on logic and reason, and it disappoints and makes no sense.

I look up definitions of B. terms and study those, go back to the writing, apply them and still it's impossible to fully understand in a western-philosophy sense.

Finally I wake up and I remember the Wittgenstein I read in college which proved all western philosophy is "the systematic abuse of language specially designed for that purpose," and everything equals out. :winkc: Language is a slippery device, in terms of metaphysics it doesn't really say much. For me, this now applies to all philosophical investigations no matter which cuture's language I'm are considering. :)
  • edited December 2010
    ^Thing is man knows nothing of metaphysics.

I share the frustration of not everything having a logic explanation at times (or people just not being able to explain it in logical terms that is).

But when it comes to anatta, I think I'm at peace now as to what I should take or not take from it. There is no permanent self completely independent of the outside world. It's that simple really. And not that big of a realization for someone who thinks in terms of philosophy and science and likes to explore reality.

Now what you take from it, is quite a different story.
  • edited December 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    ^Thing is man knows nothing of metaphysics.

I share the frustration of not everything having a logic explanation at times (or people just not being able to explain it in logical terms that is).

Yes. Talking or writing about it is very troublesome. I remember my college days of being extremely careful with language and not wanting to get mired down in philosophical nonsense. I did not want to all-of-a-sudden realize I was making no sense. Fast forward 15 years later and I had the same anxiety when talking with someone about B. at a retreat.

The only way to talk about it is with simple well-placed gestures, suggestions, metaphors, analogies; there's only a POETIC logic to it.

It's like visiting somewhere incredible like Florence Italy, being overwhelmed by it, then becoming determined to "explain" Florence to someone when you get home.
  • edited December 2010
    I think Buddhism has a lot of logic. It's just some people like to add a mystical spin to it, which I don't think has to be there at all.
  • edited December 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    I think Buddhism has a lot of logic. It's just some people like to add a mystical spin to it, which I don't think has to be there at all.

Yes. I agree for sure. I'm glad you make that point. There's a pervading and much-appreciated logic and practicality to it. Much of it makes perfect sense on many levels and broadly.

Then there was that conversation I was having at the B. retreat a while ago where I realized whatever we were talking about suddenly was not making any sense. I wish I could remember what it was we were trying to discuss. :confused: I sure hope that wasn't the "mystical" component. (kidding) :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I'm reading "How to see yourself as you really are" by the dalai lama and there's one part of the book, and buddhist philosophy in general, that I can't wrap my head around. Why can't mind-body be self?

Now I understand that all things exist only in terms of their dependent origination and that all things are empty. But I feel like in my understanding of those things i've sort of skipped over a middle step, namely why can't mind-body be self.

Here are the points HHDL makes on this issue.

1. "I" and mind-body would have to be utterly and in all ways one. - ok, that makes sense.
    2. In that case, asserting an "I" would be pointless. - I don't understand what is meant here.
    3. It would be impossible to think of "my body" or "my head" or "my mind." - again, I don't understand what he means here. "My head" simply means a part of me. I feel like what he's saying is simply a play on words.
    4. When mind and body no longer exist, the self would not exist. -True, but this is what many people believe.
    4. Since mind and body are plural, a person's selves also would be plural - I get this.
    5. Since the "I" is just one, mind and body also would be one - I get this.
    6. Just as mind and body are produced and disintegrate, so it would have to be asserted that the "I" is inherently produced and inherently disintegrates. In this case, neither the pleasurable effects of virtuous actions nor the painful effects of non-virtuous actions would bear fruit for us, or we would be experiencing the effects of actions we ourselves did not commit. - why? why couldn't you just go through the effects in the period beore disintegration?

The question is, What is "I" (or self)? Where is "I"? Where is "The Journey"? Is it your head? That's just a head. Is it your body? Is it your awareness, or your thoughts? Your thoughts come and go, they change. Your body is always changing cells, too; sloughing off cells and growing new ones. Is "The Journey" your experiences and memories? "I", or in your case, "The Journey" would be the sum total of all of the above, plus your name. That makes up the concept we know as "The Journey". But this is always changing, it's never static. So it's a bit of a moving target. There is no fixed "I", although we agree, in order to live in this conventionally-agreed-upon reality, on a general "I", or self, concept.

Does that help? No? Oh well. Nobody said Buddhism was easy. :o

As for #6: well, maybe we can have a class w/HHDL, and get his commentaries. If he explains it later on, please let us know.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I love eating and sex, and they brought me to Buddhism, but that doesn't make them useful in themselves. :)
  • edited December 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    I love eating and sex, and they brought me to Buddhism, but that doesn't make them useful in themselves. :)

That's almost funny :p
  • edited December 2010
    How far have you read in this book, Journey? Maybe HH is trying to introduce the idea of "no self". Maybe if you read a little further, it'll be clearer.