Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My Superhuman Dreams...

edited January 2007 in Buddhism Today
OK I havn't actually started meditating or become a buddhist yet, but I have decided to become a buddhist & I think about buddhism all the time continously.

OK my problem may sound kinda silly, but it's a problem all the same,

I'm only a Wee 14 years of age, and still watch manga shows like Dragonball Z, which is about super powerful warriors who use 'chi' or 'ki' for there super human powers...

So when I see articles about how 'Meditation' can actually bring on REAL power like, and when I see articles like this http://www.dbzn.net/mythology/ki.shtml which keep talking about real life 'chi' and keep referring to buddhism...

I think of just meditating to become super powerful which is not the point at all and distracts the person from the true goal of 'spiritual relization' and stuff. The buddha held back showing his powers until he was !54!

THATS MY PROBLEM, I FEEL 'BAD' or 'GUILTY' AS I KEEP THINKING ABOUT MEDITATION AND STUFF IN THE WRONG WAY!

(by the way that article quotes to the buddha, in like the coolest way, go down to the 3rd paragraph to see where it qoutes to the buddha & Dalai Lama, it quotes o buddhism after this aswell)

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    OK I havn't actually started meditating or become a buddhist yet, but I have decided to become a buddhist & I think about buddhism all the time continously.

I'm only a Wee 14 years of age, and still watch manga shows like Dragonball Z, which is about super powerful warriors who use 'chi' or 'ki' for there super human powers...

So when I see articles about how 'Meditation' can actually bring on REAL power like, and when I see articles like this http://www.dbzn.net/mythology/ki.shtml which keep talking about real life 'chi' and keep referring to buddhism...

I think of just meditating to become super powerful which is not the point at all and distracts the person from the true goal of 'spiritual relization' and stuff. The buddha held back showing his powers until he was !54!

THATS MY PROBLEM, I FEEL 'BAD' or 'GUILTY' AS I KEEP THINKING ABOUT MEDITATION AND STUFF IN THE WRONG WAY!

(by the way that article quotes to the buddha, in like the coolest way, go down to the 3rd paragraph to see where it qoutes to the buddha & Dalai Lama, it quotes o buddhism after this aswell)

It actually sounds to me as if you are practising more than you realise.

We have all come across stories of superhuman, Eastern magical powers - and I love the stories, still. Years ago, there was a book called The Third Eye by "Lobsang Rampa" which purported to reveal Tibtan esoteric secrets. It is a wonderful fake, of course. But, at 14, it started me meditating.

These yearnings for super powers becomes transformed, in the alchemical laboratory of sitting in silence, into a sincere desire for the benefit of all beings.

As I see it, you are cleansing your intention. Right Intention is so important and a practice which takes a lifetime. At the moment, it would appear to be the focus of your attention. Not to worry. Sounds good to me.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    The fact that you are 14 and studying about Buddhism and meditation is in itself quite amazing, davedude. I think a little fantasy is excusable and in fact quite normal at your age (or any other age, for that matter!). I mean, I enjoyed Star Wars (the first three anyway) and enjoyed the fantasy of using the Force to gain superhuman abilities, and I was way beyond 14! So I don't see the harm. Just remember that it's a fantasy, not necessarily reality!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005

Well that's commendable. there are many who believe that just to desire to be Buddhist makes you one. Others believe you're Buddhist already, because everyone is.... everyone already has the Buddha within their Heart, and that 'the Jewel IS in the Lotus'.....

Thank goodness! A normal, well-balanced, aware 14-year old! How refreshing - !! ;)

...You obviously understand that these kinds of practises do take years and years and years to Master.... It's not an exclusive skill, but it should be practised with the Right Intention, mind you....

Yes.... I'm 48 so there's still time for me yet.....! (Just kidding!) Kids aren't the only ones to have fantasies and desires of this kind you know..... many adults dream their lives away wishing they had more money, a better house, a faster car, a better-looking husband/wife.... You name it.....

Don't feel guilty.
    Don't be too hard on yourself.
    On the one hand, you're obviously intent and serious about your Buddhist practise....
    On the other hand, let's face it, you're still growing up, and going through all the normal stuff a guy of your age goes through. Just enjoy, and realize it's all mind-stuff.... Dream on, but know you're dreaming....
    and join the club..... :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    ... I mean, I enjoyed Star Wars (the first three anyway) and enjoyed the fantasy of using the Force to gain superhuman abilities, and I was way beyond 14! ...

Actually, he was a 46, living with his mother and dressing up like a Jedi at the openings of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi when he was still pretending he had The Force!

But I still like him.

-bf
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I am 29 and i still want superpowers. Maybe with your imagination you could write novels or short stories. That works for me. I find it to be a great release.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    But...I do have the Force!!!!
  • edited November 2005
    Thanks a lot for your support guys!! ... (especiallyfor not calling me immature) :)
    I was thinking of becoming a buddhist on January 1st, New-Year,
    I think that would be a cool start in buddhism, and a nice start date start in my path to enlightenment.

By any chance (not to be rude) can you guys tell me what age you started buddhism,
    and after how long you really started feel a change in your state of mind and outlook on life ect...
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I felt a change in my outlook and lifestyle before I 'officially' became a buddhist. I was 24 or 25 when I first went to a temple :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I honestly couldn't say when I started being more Buddhist than anything else. From the height of my second childhood, it seems to me that I set out on a journey at about the age of 11 which has taken me across many different forms of spirituality. It looks like a rainbow, where the boundaries between colours blur and confuse. Buddhism became part of the mix very early but became the dominant tone in the past 10-15 years.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    You might want to wait until February 1st, 2006, davedude. That's Losar, the Tibetan New Year, which varies from year to year because it's on the lunar calendar rather than the Western solar calendar.

I've been questioning and exploring all my life, but I didn't discover Buddhism until I was stationed in Japan in the Air Force. I would have been about 24 then, I guess. It's been so long ago I can't remember! Anyway, 1970-71. Ancient, huh?

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Quick! Build a stupa! We have our very own Buddhist relic - !!:bigclap:

Buddhism crept up on me and tapped me ever so gently on the back of the cranium with its Enlightenment 12lb sledgehammer, about 10 years ago, I guess.... Like Palzang, I'd have a hard time exactly pinpointing when my mindset actually began to consciously evolve and gravitate toward Buddhism.
    But I took refuge on February 17th 2001.... :)
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Seriously Buddhist around June last year... Well to me I think compassion is the greatest Force you gain... Meditating to gain superpowers would be like Anakin in Episode 3... Turn to the Dark Side to turn Padme immortal... Damm I watched it on DVD last night... Can't wait to ctach the remaining!
  • edited January 2007

YOU SOUND LIKE YOUR ON THE RIGHT PATH TO ME.