Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating Changes Your Brain..

edited November 2005 in General Banter
Hello all! I haven't been on in a while - just been super busy, but my husband showed me this article and I had to share it with everyone here. Enjoy!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20051111/sc_space/meditateonthisbuddhisttraditionthickenspartsofthebrain;_ylt=AgrXeohZdqh6uRiOxX1TL2YDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Welcome back !!
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    (as John Belushi in Animal House) Yoga! Yoga! Yoga!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Oh BuddhaFoot will be soooo happy.... I do believe he's been pining.....!:lol:

Nice to have you back among us Yogamama! ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    Oh BuddhaFoot will be soooo happy.... I do believe he's been pining.....!:lol:

Nice to have you back among us Yogamama! ;)

Yer damn right, Freddie...

Yodamama... JUST WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN!!?!?!?!?!, young lady?

I'm not having a very good day here - so don't test my patience!!!!

I told you to be back in here before midnight!

If you've been in the backseat of a car with a boy talking about Christianity - you are gonna be sooooooo grounded!

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    I didn't realize I was in so much trouble! And I absolutely have NOT been talking about Christianity in the back seat of anyones car. :) I will come around more often...I have just been swamped at work and working on getting my daughter into a Montessori school (she starts there on Monday - YIPPEE!).

It's good to be back! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    It would be interesting to find out whether different types of meditation gave different results, and just what good psychologically these benefits supply.... that is to say, whether the physical structural changes to the brain also brought about attitude changes associated directly with those areas of the Brain....:)
  • edited November 2005
    Does meditation really affect the brain?
    edited November 2005
    Absolutely no question about it Nirvananoob... The link above shows how physical changes affect the brain, in it's actual density, appearance and aspect.
    Meditation changes the way a person thinks and deals with everyday life.... again, I'm in absolutely no doubt about this.
    meditation has made me calmer, more logical, more serene, more patient and i would like to believe, more dedicated. my concentration levels are up and my sense of humour is more balanced too....
    To me there is no question of any doubt. :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    In the early '80s, working with people with HIV/AIDS, we noticed that those who meditated had significantly sturdier immune systems. Not a cure or a reversal of the fatal compromise but better resistance to and, even, recovery from opportunistic infection.

Meditation has an effect on breathing, heart rate, etc. It would be illogical to imagine that the brain is not also affected. I would be prepared to lay good odds that endocrinology would provide additional fascinating evidence.