Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Welcome to NewBuddhist on Vanilla!

Comments

• I am having trouble uploading comments.
  • Seems to work now.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Is there a basic incompatibility of Vanilla with Safari?

Nearly any link to a video just shows up as blank white space. I have to go to Camino to see the video.
    Really? No, that shouldn't be at all. Safari has a first-class rendering engine. I will add that to my list.
    @Lincoln: I noticed just today that this has been fixed. Thanks!!!!!

edited December 2010
    BTW, @Lincoln, thanks very much for keeping Daily Dhamma Drops atop the Advanced Ideas Section.

What a Treasure that is. Thanks also to Bhikku @Samahita!
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Is there a way to allow people to log in using their username instead of their email address? Reason I ask is that the email I used is long and annoying to have to type in every time I visit, and it would probably be more intuitive. (I have to have cookies disabled on my browser.) It's not a big issue for me, though, if it's not possible/would involve too much tinkering.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2010
    @Glow I'll let you in on a secret: username already works too :)
  • Can we please get the pretty favicon back. Its ruining my google chrome bookmark bar!:P (Maybe I am too attached to it?)
    The favicon hasn't changed. I can't account for why it isn't working in Chrome, but I'll add it to my list of fixes.
  • The favicon hasn't changed. I can't account for why it isn't working in Chrome, but I'll add it to my list of fixes.
    Oki thanks. Tremendous efforts from you!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Hey, @Lincoln. Happy Boxing Day. :)

Noticed old BBCodes [ indent ] and [ list ] aren't working, e.g., this post. Also, "permalink" is gone and I now have to click on the date (or time of the post if it's new) to get the link; not sure if you made that change or it's a glitch, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Oh, and old post links don't seem to be working either, e.g., this post.
  • @Lincoln, ah, so it does, lol. That makes things much easier. Thanks!
  • @Lincoln Embedded flash videos don't work with the flashblock addon for firefox. The obvious answer is "well then don't use flashblock, stupid", but I was wondering if that's sort of on the todo list?

What flashblock does is stop all the flash content from autoloading. It's great for ads and websites which overuse flash for everything. It also make everything much more stable.

So, instead of showing the regular flashblock icon and the button to start the applet (or whatever the flash version of an applet is called) all I see is this:

;) no-repeat scroll center center transparent ! important; min-width: 32px ! important; min-height: 32px ! important; width: 640px; height: 385px; border: 1px solid rgb(223, 223, 223); cursor: pointer; overflow: hidden; display: inline-block; visibility: visible ! important; -moz-box-sizing: border-box;" bgactive="url(chrome://flashblock/content/flashplay.png) no-repeat center" bginactive="url(chrome://flashblock/content/flash.png) no-repeat center">
  • @Lincoln. How does one add a link to a post, as in the old system?
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @Simonthepilgrim, Check the HTML Links section here.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @ShiftPlusOne Thank you for that. I am hoping that I shall not have to learn HTML but that Lincoln will give us back the easier editing. The new Vanilla will, in time, I hope, be as friendly as the old stuff. It isn't quite there yet - for me, at least.
  • Normally software takes a while before it has a polished feel to it. I think for now we have to make do with basic HTML tags.
  • Anyone know how to:

1. Create a PM
    2. Search an individual's posts, with any method

Thanks
  • @Floating_Abu, PM is now called 'conversation'. Click on 'inbox' at the top and then click "Start a new conversation" on the right.
  • The favicon hasn't changed. I can't account for why it isn't working in Chrome, but I'll add it to my list of fixes.
    Oki thanks. Tremendous efforts from you!

Actually, I have got used to the lack of fav icon in Chrome now, I see it as symbolising emptiness!:p

• @Floating_Abu, PM is now called 'conversation'. Click on 'inbox' at the top and then click "Start a new conversation" on the right.
    Thanks ShiftPlusOne
    Favicon is fixed.
  • Hi Lincoln. I have a Mac and Safari 5.0.3.

Here at newbuddhist.com I have extremely limited editing capability and can't attach files. Other "expected" forum features are missing too. It's bare bones.

I'll be glad to remain patient, no problem, I know you are working on it and it's time consuming. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks, Roger

• i love vanilla! :devArt/la: :devArt/la: :devArt/la:
    'maitri (and luck) to this new forum software.
    File attachments are now fixed. My apologies; I must've made an error during the setup.

@Roger, what "expected" features are we missing? :)
  • File attachments are now fixed. My apologies; I must've made an error during the setup.

@Roger, what "expected" features are we missing? :)
    Hi L. I don't know about "we." I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong because I'm missing stuff like italics, bold, underline, fonts, sizes, colors. No biggie if not available. Thanks!

• If this hasn't been mentioned before... I've been experiencing issues when trying to preview posts. It only seems to happen if I click to quote someone's post. If I just post without quoting, preview works fine. When I quote and then preview, it takes me to the home page instead of showing me a preview of my post. Clicking the back button gets me back, but it's an issue. I'm using the latest version of Firefox 3.6.

Also, sometimes text at the top or bottom of my post will not be visible while typing it in. There's no scroll bar to view the text, but I think it's still there since when I click to post all the text I typed is visible. I just can't see it to correct before posting. I haven't noticed any pattern or possible trigger for this yet. Ha, it just happened to me in this post, starting with this row. I can't see the bottom half of the text I'm typing in the last row?! Hitting the page reload button doesn't help. I can see it when I preview though (because I'm not quoting), and I am sure it will post correctly. Anyway, thought I'd add this to your list of bugs to fix, thanks! :)
  • Hi Lincoln,

Is it possible to display some of the info like the old software did -

1. The person who originally started a post.
    2. The # of post views.

3. Also the ability to get a list of old posts, by person, seams to be limited now.

4. How about a search capability?

Thanks for your efforts.
  • Oh and the ability to see the beginning of a post for a few seconds without having to open it was cool too.
  • Thumbnail editing - It doesn't seem to save it when I try to edit my icon. It keeps not changing so I still have my head cut off :-O
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Hi Lincoln,

Is it possible to display some of the info like the old software did -

1. The person who originally started a post.
    2. The # of post views.

3. Also the ability to get a list of old posts, by person, seams to be limited now.

4. How about a search capability?

Thanks for your efforts.
    Danke und Ditto

1. The person who originally started the post
    2. Number of post views
    3. Search function by person, by topic, keyword etc
    4. Who is browsing this thread etc
    5. Format options that the BB tags used to provide eg. the bolds, etc if there were extra time *runs* :dunce:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    This is all in the pipeline. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to change and implement. I too would dearly love to see those factors put or added in, but it's a question of patience....
    Thanks for refreshing the thread though.... :)
  • I'm sure that there must be quite a checklist of TTBDs, including the request for editing tools as this is a writing forum. Perhaps it would help if a sort of schedule, not necessarily with deadlines (after all, this is done for us our of the goodness of @Lincoln's heart), but prioritised. It might even help Lincoln if we were to indicate, on such a list, which improvements were most wanted.

I'm enjoying experimenting with the new format, although I notice that I have become much more choosy about which threads I even open and read. PMs are different: I used to reply point by point, using the quoted text. Now I have to jot down a note or two: back to pen and paper. Scrummy!
    The formatting options are my next big priority. I just need to test them a bit more and make sure it doesn't screw up other things in the process.

I could provide a list, but I've found my coding habits don't necessarily coincide with a priority list. If something is very important but very time consuming, it may end up happening long after something silly but simple (like the favicon, for instance).
  • @Lincoln:

I am truly beginning to enjoy the 'social network' feel of the new software. I do notice that I am reading fewer threads but having more 'conversations'.

How about a 'Poke' app.?
    edited January 2011
    Can't deal with unnumbered posts here. It's kinda like reading a book with no page numbers, except that in a codex I could at least write in my own pagination.

Me head's swimming...
  • @Nirvana: I agree about numbering posts again. It would help navigation.
  • this new format is beautiful! i love it, so much easier to navigate. thank you so much!
  • @Lincoln:

Are we going to have more info possible in profiles and could 'location' be included as before under screen name? It helps understand something about context - altho' it does mean some stereotyping too.
    @Simonthepilgrim Yes, I'd like to add more info to profiles. In fact, I imported more information from our previous software than is currently shown so that I could make use of it once I add that functionality. Apologies for my scarceness lately, unexpected changes as work have kept me away from code for a while.
  • I have to tell you, the new mobile version is amazing. That's a big game-changer for me, personally, as I access the web on my phone more often than not.

Thank you, Vanilla, for the awesome mobile theme.
    loving the mobile theme. I "newbuddhist" from my phone all the time! yeee!

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I like it a lot now that I'm used to it.

I haven't been on for a while and I'm looking for a previous frequent poster - I believe called NomaDh (?) The young guy in Budapest who is harassed by Roma teen gangsters. Just want to know how he's doing. I can't figure out how to find his posts....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I've "flagged" your post so that Admin see it and maybe can help you with this.

:)
    NomaD Buddha perhaps?
  • Hi @Lincoln

I was wondering if some form of auto-refresh can or will be implemented on the front . This can help people who are expecting replies but are not able to access their emails in some way.
    There is an auto-refresh but I wasn't sure about it so it's still off for now. I'll have another look at it.
  • @Lincoln: Is the sidebar of categories actually useful, now that the front page is a list of discussions?
    I don't understand. How else would you filter by category if not for the sidebar?
  • Why filter by category at all? Is anyone using the 'filter'?
    yes..... :o