Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation: Any Reasons To Believe?

KartariKartari Explorer
edited December 2010 in Philosophy
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anybody can recommend any sources of information (books, digital media, etc.) that covers the case for reincarnation. Specifically, I am interested in reading about or listening to the case for reincarnation in terms of evidence. Or barring formal evidence, anything really that comes as close to being evidence as possible, whether it's simply reasoning for it, or a collection of anecdotes.

I'm not one to believe in things that lack evidence simply because I wish them to be true. My mind is too honest for that. But reincarnation is something I would very much like to believe in, or the continuation of awareness after death in general at least. And I am interested in learning all I can about whatever evidence there may (or may not) be for reincarnation, or even other forms of awareness or consciousness continuing on post-mortem.

Thanks.

Peace.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Probably examine the reincarnation of your mind activities, the youth of your past and aging of the present as compared to your past. And why you have no control over your gradual aging process. Where were you before you were being "squeeze" out. Any idea the game you were enjoying inside the womb and what vitamins that made you survived in there :aol:
  • There are several books that catalogue and investigate cases of children remembering details of their past lives. You could try a search on Amazon. One of these books is: "Life Before Life: A Scientific Investigation of Children's Memories of Previous Lives", by Jim Tucker, M.D. Also: "Many Lives, Many Masters" by Brian Weiss, M.D.
  • When you are struck by a poisoned arrow, don't ask questions about the arrow, the poison, the archer, seek the cure.
  • Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anybody can recommend any sources of information (books, digital media, etc.) that covers the case for reincarnation. Specifically, I am interested in reading about or listening to the case for reincarnation in terms of evidence. Or barring formal evidence, anything really that comes as close to being evidence as possible, whether it's simply reasoning for it, or a collection of anecdotes.

I'm not one to believe in things that lack evidence simply because I wish them to be true. My mind is too honest for that. But reincarnation is something I would very much like to believe in, or the continuation of awareness after death in general at least. And I am interested in learning all I can about whatever evidence there may (or may not) be for reincarnation, or even other forms of awareness or consciousness continuing on post-mortem.

Thanks.

Peace.
    If you want compelling evidence that is also true, you won't find any. There are people who have made case studies and published them, and a quick google will take you to their books. There are also people who have gathered near death experiences into a book and claim this proves the reality of the Christian afterlife of Heaven and Hell, instead. So which one is actually true? Same for haunted houses, guardian angels, demon possession, UFOs, etc. People believe in all sorts of things that aren't actually true, but every one of them will tell you the evidence or logic convinces them.

In this case, you don't need a collection of what other people say. If you want to know how reincarnation works, just examine yourself. Buddhism says everything you need to know can be discovered by understanding your own mind. You were reincarnated, if it's the truth. So, tell me about your previous life. What were you like? What sort of activities did you enjoy? Who did you love, and who broke your heart? What was your biggest mistake, and what lessons did you learn from it? Continuity of consciousness is more than a few scattered and vague memories, you know.

And if I could show you a picture and tell you that this person was you in a previous life, would it make a difference to you in this one? Do you think that person in the picture is still looking out of your eyes?

So I'd like to suggest instead of looking for proof of what comes after death, concentrate for a while on the question, "What is it that dies and is reborn?" Once you understand that, the other answers become clear. Until you understand that, all you will ever have is beliefs that may or may not be true.

Hope this helps.

• Try You Tube. Search for Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Brahmali.

:)
  • edited December 2010
    You might be interested in reading the work of Ian Stevenson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson). He's probably the most famous scientist to have studied the phenomenon. Of course, there is criticism of his work (http://www.skepdic.com/stevenson.html) but he is almost the only scientist to approach the subject in a scientific manner.

• If you find compelling evidence that is scientifically provable, you should definitely call CNN. They'll want to cover it.

I'm not one to believe in things that lack evidence simply because I wish them to be true. My mind is too honest for that. But reincarnation is something I would very much like to believe in, or the continuation of awareness after death in general at least. And I am interested in learning all I can about whatever evidence there may (or may not) be for reincarnation, ......
    You will learn the most in meditation. Examining your desire to believe in something may be more useful and wholesome than reading other people's ideas.

Warmly,

Matthew
  • IMO? Reincarnation is not that incredible _IF_ you can get unstuck from your own ego.

I (Roger) am not coming back, but the deepest part of "me" will return. If that deeper part drags along a few remnants of what "Roger" was, then that's great fun, but the "Roger-ness" really has very little importance.

Also, assuming reincarnation occurs as an endless procession, why should "Roger" have any extra relevance next time? If it seems like it does, that's because we're ego clinging.

BTW, the "laws" of physics, biology etc, make reincarnation extremely fascinating and _doubtful_ to many. Remember our science is based on the fact that we are embodied in this world with these sense organs. It's a limited view of course. THAT'S why we have problems with Reincarnation and want "proof."

Again, I'm just guessing. IMHO. Thank you for making me wonder about it.

• The biggest case for it is that reincarnation is a useful belief, whether or not it's true.

It's useful in extending loving-kindness to enemies or neutral people (who may have been your mother in a past life). It's also useful in weaking the concept of self, since there has been (and probably will be) many selves. There are probably other uses.

Try doing some guided meditations that use reincarnation as a theme. It's a very powerful practice, even if you don't "believe" in it.
  • Yes, reincarnation is real and it is also the law of the universe. The path to end the cycles of birth and death is up to each and everyone of us. The buddha has shown us the way to end this cycle.

11-year-old Reincarnated - WJW

http://www.fox8.com:80/wjw-reincarnation-txt,0,1190900.story

• I like Cinorjer's post, good observations.

Kartari, may I ask why it is that you want to believe in continuity of consciousness after death?
  • So you don't blow your brains out. You can endura bad karma instead. Its not forever.
  • So you practice the dharma when others are better or if you are the best. That gives you a gooder cup to fill with the dharma. Offer the cup to buddha and then empty it carefully with mindfullness.
  • edited December 2010
    I was going to comment on this thread earlier and mention the Primetime show I saw years ago about the boy with his memories from being a pilot. I remember seeing this about 5-6 years ago and they said the boy had never been exposed to anything WWII related. Well after googling I have found that they left out something major:

"At 18 months old, his father, Bruce Leininger, took James to the Kavanaugh Flight Museum in Dallas, Texas, where the toddler remained transfixed by World War II aircraft. A few months later, the nightmares began."

Here is where I found that and some good post that explain some of the "strange" occurrences that the show used to use as evidence:

http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2005/07/reincarnation_a.html

Well actually I have seen one other case of possible evidence for reincarnation. My psychology teacher years ago showed us a movie on past-life regression hypnosis. Basically you hypnotise someone and regress them to the womb and then before the womb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Past_life_regression

The video I saw they were able to verify things the man claimed about his past life although who knows if he studied them before or if the whole thing was a hoax. This has been going on since the 70s. I believe if past life regression was real it would have been easy to prove and reproduce so I have doubts. I myself am very sceptical without real evidence. At this point I have no reason to believe or decide I do not believe even though I think it would be nice if it were true.
  • There are plenty of reasons to believe in rebirth, at least without a "self" being reborn. Reincarnation though... I don't think the Buddha taught that. It's specifically a Tibetan teaching.
  • I think the most compelling evidence comes after death.
  • Buddhism is a faith as well as a philosophy. Sometimes one may not be ready to believe in some of it's teachings and it's okay. But always keep an open mind, that you might be ready in the future when you feel the urge to spirutually develope yourself.
  • KartariKartari Explorer
    edited December 2010
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Too many for me to respond to individually, but I will check out every link and book referenced by you all.

A question which I think I should answer first:
    Kartari, may I ask why it is that you want to believe in continuity of consciousness after death?
    A very good question, @Chrysalid. Yesterday, my uncle, whom I was very close with, passed away. I was there to see him die in the hospital with other family members. It is hard for me to accept a world where even our closest relationships can end in a heartbeat. My mind is pragmatic and skeptical when approaching supernatural beliefs. But emotionally I would be lying if I said I was content to live and die with the knowledge that I will never see those who have died again in any way.

Though I've considered myself to be Buddhist for around 15 years now, I never really looked that deeply into reincarnation before, as I consider it unlikely. I am open to anything though, if the case made is compelling enough. I posted in the hopes that maybe I could check out any studies or other materials that others could recommend, start from there and see where I go with it.

Perhaps, though, I will simply end up asking myself, as @Cinorjer suggested, "What is it that dies and is reborn?"

Thanks again everyone.
  • edited December 2010

Well actually I have seen one other case of possible evidence for reincarnation. My psychology teacher years ago showed us a movie on past-life regression hypnosis. Basically you hypnotise someone and regress them to the womb and then before the womb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Past_life_regression

Regarding past life regression - I'm a hypnotherapist and I don't do it myself because I consider it to be completely unreliable. People can imagine things and also the cryptomnesia factor needs to be seriously considered. I once discussed it with a Tibetan teacher and he also agreed that it was unreliable.
  • In Buddhism we tend to use the term rebirth rather than reincarnation, which implies a permanent 'soul'.
    Looking around us at nature we see rebirth everywhere. The plants go through the seasons, flowering, bearing fruit, dying off or losing their leaves, then renewing each year. We are just as much a part of nature.
    I am not the same person as I was when i was a ten year old boy, since I have physically changed and hopefully gained some wisdom....... gained experiences and knowledge, created new karma, experienced the fruit of old karma, etc. ...but there is a connection between us, and the forms in previous existences.
  • I have always thought that reincarnation is not a Buddhist concept; but rebirth is. The former does not involve a soul and Buddhists supposedly do not believe in soul. Either way, I don't really understand reincarnation or rebirth. It would be great to be able to understand.
  • Yes, that's right; rebirth, not reincarnation of a permanent soul, as in Hinduism.
  • I think the most compelling evidence comes after death.
    I agree. :)

May as well make the most of the ride in the meantime.
  • I dont technically believe in rebirth or reincarnation. I see that buddha says a past life changes into a new one from the accunulated merit and karma. Not actually becoming physically dead and then being born again physically.