Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anxious About New Sangha

edited December 2010 in Sanghas
www.bodhimarga.org

There is a local buddhist group literally 5 minutes from my house, and I can't get the nerve to go! Can anyone give me insight on how the meetings go? Or about the Lama? I've been studying Tibetan Buddhism and practicing at home, but I have anxiety about going (contradiction I know).

I think if I knew more about the meetings I wouldn't be so hesitant.

Thanks,
Dani

Comments

• You sound shy!

Don't worry, it'll probably go something like this: Dharma lecture, Q&A/discussion, 30-minute meditation session.

In other words, most the time the attention won't be on you... except in the short amounts of time before the lecture or meditation. But in my experience you will get an interesting combination of two things: people will be very friendly, and people will be willing to allow you to keep to yourself if you want. Best of both worlds.

Go. It will most likely be very rewarding.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Nothing bad will happen. These people are your friends. You should go. :)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Go. It will most likely be very rewarding.
    I too agree. While I do not have a sangha/temple nearby, I always make a point of visiting temples/groups in my travels. I have never been disappointed, nor made to fell uncomfortable. I have always been welcomed and invited to sit in on teachings, meditation/chanting groups.

You'll love it!
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Go. Go with openness and curiosity. Go without expectations or preconceived notions. You'll go see a movie you've never seen before, right? Just go.
  • edited January 2011
    Go. Be very respectful and attentive. Do not inject "yourself" into the conversation. __Assume__ nobody is interested in you. The people around you are far more important because they know more than you do. That's what I do in such situations and I'm NOT faking because it is true!

At the same time everybody around you in an established Sangha has a great deal of respect for you. If you follow the above advice (without FAKING it). You will be quickly welcomed.

If you go into it presumptuously like you know something, and by your words and body-language claim you are "equal" and you appear to be evaluating if you will "get " anything out of those new people you'll have more trouble.

Buddhist path followers are great people. There are some guards up however. Like everybody in an established group, they first want to get the sense that you, as the newcomer, "get it."

No biggie! ________Humility!________ It's easy and rewarding! LOL :D