Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

cannabis in Buddism

2»

Comments

• "federica" how did Buddha become every ones path starts somewhere.
    I seem to have got on your goat. yet your goat is very angry.
    My limited understanding is not naivety as i am only me, i see the concept off Buddha as being free.
    Picking and choosing a path that works for me is my path.
    Buddha sat for six years till his enlightenment. eating ???
    Yet his words are be free and fair to one and all.
    I am not asking to be Buddha just follow a Buddhist path :)
    I am not trying to hard to see, Yet See :)

• I am not asking to be Buddha just follow a Buddhist path :)
    As you can see, the majority of posters here have told you that use of an intoxicant is not consistent with "following a Buddhist path".
  • edited December 2010
    IMHO? I'd say no to pot. It doesn't do much. It just adds another layer of illusion to what we already have.

For instance, AFAIK, Other than stuff with only popular temporary appeal nobody's created any totally amazing and enduring art, literature or architecture with pot. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I am prepared to be wrong about that :) )

OTOH, I'd love to go on a supervised trip with some pharmaceutical grade LSD. :D
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    But ya know, if you want to smoke pot, go ahead. I doubt Siddhartha Gautama would be caught smoking a joint though, but if thats the path you want to live your life with, go ahead, no one is stopping you (except the cops... if they find out).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    "federica" how did Buddha become every ones path starts somewhere.
    I seem to have got on your goat. yet your goat is very angry.
    No, not at all, It takes a lot more that a load of nonsense like this to get me angry. And then it doesn't last...
    My limited understanding is not naivety as i am only me, i see the concept off Buddha as being free.
    Yes, but this doesn't mean free from responsibility to the Dhamma. If The Buddha teaches something in the Dhamma, it is up to us to support it and understand that he gave this teaching for a reason.
    As Buddhists, we have the onerous task of following a Path. If you think you can follow the buddha AND go your own sweet way when it suits you - you've got a longer and more tortuous path ahead of you.
    Good luck with that....
    Picking and choosing a path that works for me is my path.
    Fine. But don't insult us by calling it a Buddhist one, because it isn't.
    Buddha sat for six years till his enlightenment. eating ???
    Yet his words are be free and fair to one and all.
    All well and good, providing you pay attention to them, but you're obviously choosing to not do that. Well that's fine, but then don't complain when people pull you up on it.... ;)
    I am not asking to be Buddha just follow a Buddhist path :)
    I am not trying to hard to see, Yet See :)
    'Do' or 'do not'. There is no 'Try'.
    There are some times when you need to take the bull by the horns and not dither.
    Nobody ever leapt a chasm in two small steps. Taking a leap may be scary, but sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and just do it.
    If you ask a question, and the overwhelming rsponse leans towards no, but you want to hear yes - then why bother asking, if you have no intention of following the major consensus of advice?

• Redfrog,

Buddhism is about ending suffering through direct experience.
    Do you know you are suffering and want to lead a more peaceful and joyous life?
    Then the Buddha's teachings can provide a guide if you decide to apply yourself to waking up.

Whether you like to get high or not is irrelevant to undertaking this journey to enlightenment. Do not let those that say it is not allowed or wrong deter you from learning more. It is just their own life experiences and judgements. Keep in mind that you would have the same strong opinion as they do if you were them. But you are not them and precepts are recommendations not rules.

With insight you may discover that you have an attachment (or addiction) to the weed and stop smoking. Perhaps not. Only you can say what is best for you at this point on the path. But with the practice of meditation and the teachings of the Buddha you will have better vision to see and make wise decisions that help.

Best Wishes
  • Anyone on the path to enlightenment is on the path of the Buddha...

Intoxicants are very much an obstacle on that path... You may still walk the path, but for as long as you continue to use intoxicants it would be like walking while dragging a large boulder.

But, it isn't to say that you can't continue making progress on your path. But for as long as you use intoxicants you'll be quite hindered.

(I've noticed a few quite arrogant posts on this topic)

Remember, there is not a single person here that began their path without their own obstacles. Everyone has their obstacles... All are unique.

When you're ready to truly pursue enlightenment you'll no longer have the need for pot. When you're ready, you'll begin recognizing your obstacles and begin work to remove those obstacles.

Until then, you're just dragging a boulder...
  • edited December 2010
    Also, I'm sure nearly all of us are dragging our boulders... The difference; however, is that we've recognized that the boulder (All our obstacles hindering us from attaining enlightenment) is something that must be gotten rid of if we are to make true progress.

Slowly, we chisel away at it... Removing obstacles one by one... The goal, of course is to completely get rid of it.

It's never too late to start chiseling at your boulder :)
  • To me, it seems some people come to this when they had no where else to go, or didn't know where else to.

It seems you are going towards marijuana, and that's all well and fine for you, of course- but you may, one day in this life or many of the next, come to this and see for yourself. That's all it takes- you can get all the advice you want, it does help, but these folks can only show you the door, you have to walk through it yourself. The people here are not condemning, and certainly not condoning I'd say.

So, if you want yes, go to a cannabis based 'religion', if that's what you're seeking. Or don't.
  • Thanks SeaOfTranquility, Rmurray1985, Bodhgaya,
    Its is my boulder and i will drag it along my path till i feel i can suffer no more.
    It does seem to stair a few raw ends my understanding is Siddhartha Gautama sat and ate Indian hemp for most off the time till his enlightenment.
    Maybe i just need to eat it instead off smoking from now on.
    Well till my inner light shines :)
  • There is no way of proving the historical validity of the story that Siddhartha Gautama ate hemp for the years before his enlightenment.
  • I did hear he did eat the seeds.
    But eating it would not be the same as smoking, I should say.
    I don't believe you could get the same effect. But I am not sure.

As you may, do indeed tred on your path. It is your path, and travel it well.
    Be careful, namaste.
  • Also, hemp isn't the same as pot... The THC content of hemp is maybe 0.1-.5 or so... Dunno exactly. But I know you can't get high from it.
  • edited December 2010
    S.G. and hemp?!

There's enough misunderstanding in this world, so I respectfully wish:

If you're drinking, smoking and/or doing recreational drugs.

Please don't tell people you're on a Buddhist path.

:-/
  • Saying and doing are two different things.

• Moderation is key, that's what I say.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ......my understanding is Siddhartha Gautama sat and ate Indian hemp for most off the time till his enlightenment.
    More wishful thinking. As SherabDorje succinctly points out - no proof, or evidence he actually did so.
    Maybe i just need to eat it instead off smoking from now on.
    And as has also been pointed out, hemp seeds do not possess any kind of hallucinogenic qualities of the smoked variety.
    You might as well eat quinoa, millet or flax. I think they have more proven benefits....
    Well till my inner light shines :)
    Oh, I'm sure it's shining already.
    I think you're cracked. But that's how we see the light. Through the cracks....

• >>>>federica>>>>And as has also been pointed out, hemp seeds do not possess any kind of hallucinogenic qualities of the smoked variety.
    You might as well eat quinoa, millet or flax. I think they have more proven benefits....

Actually, i don't think this is correct. Though hemp seeds are not psychoactive in any sense, they are tremendous in terms of their nutrition. I eat them regularly. Mind you, I also eat quinoia and flax seeds too, but I think hemp seeds are just about the most nutritious food you can eat.

happy holidays fedx:)
    'Proven benefits' in the sense that they are openly available through many different retail outlets, and are advertised as being both wholesome and nutritious.
    I may be wrong, but I haven't seen hemp seeds openly and widely advertised in the same manner.
    I have a very good branch of Holland and Barrett close by, and although I buy Quinoa, millet and flax seeds from them - I have never seen hemp seeds either marketed or distributed there.
    In fact, the only place I have ever come across hemp seeds is in a wild-bird feed mix....
    But we both agree that hemp seeds are in no way psychoactive.. that being the case, it may well be redfrog's best option yet.
    'Proven benefits' in the sense that they are openly available through many different retail outlets, and are advertised as being both wholesome and nutritious.
    I may be wrong, but I haven't seen hemp seeds openly and widely advertised in the same manner.
    I have a very good branch of Holland and Barrett close by, and although I buy Quinoa, millet and flax seeds from them - I have never seen hemp seeds either marketed or distributed there.
    In fact, the only place I have ever come across hemp seeds is in a wild-bird feed mix....
    Having googled the product, it's pretty wholesome it seems.
    I'm surprised I really have never seen it at my local health food store.
    Must look harder....
    But we both agree that hemp seeds are in no way psychoactive.. that being the case, it may well be redfrog's best option yet.
  • >>>>I may be wrong, but I haven't seen hemp seeds openly and widely advertised in the same manner.

You can get them in most independent health food stores, eg my local one. You can get them online and ebay.

Where you cannot get them is in Holland and Barrat and Boots, two huge companies owned by the same company, The Carlyle Group, who also own many less healthy ventures. (An interesting watch on The CG:http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3995.htm)

>>>I have a very good branch of Holland and Barrett close by, and although I buy Quinoa, millet and flax seeds from them - I have never seen hemp seeds either marketed or distributed there.

Funny, I didn't read that until I had written what I wrote above:)

>>>>In fact, the only place I have ever come across hemp seeds is in a wild-bird feed mix....

And fishing bait. strange, inst it, this super healthy food so hard to get? whowouldathunk?