Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Qiqong Mediatation

edited December 2010 in Meditation
I'm just wondering how often people on this forum do qiqong meditation, Ive only done it about five or six times before. I'm not sure that im doing it totally right either, so any tips?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Qiqong or Qigong meditation. The latter is through energy (qi) that serves to recuperate from illness caused by improper healthy lifespan and/or maintaining physical well beings through the flow of body energy :facepalm:
  • edited December 2010
    Since I have moved from a cushion-based meditation to a standing qigong style meditation, my meditations are subjectively much more "successful". Before, I sat for many hours a day. And I enjoyed immensely the post-absorptive effects of my sitting meditation, but the actual sitting itself was truly "nothing special". And I believe this might have been a result of general skepticism and lack of imagination or the ability to visualize.

Now that I am practicing a standing meditation that is more akin to qigong, the absorptive states come along much quicker and the post-absorptive effects are on par with those induced by sitting.

The key to qigong, and this is they way I have been taught, is that you first must "get it". That is, you have to have a direct realization of the subtle energy. So, e.g., learning Tai Chi, my Boss first had me do a sitting meditation that focused on the Microcosmic Orbit. This was in order to develop a sense for this subtle energy. Once you have developed a sense for the subtle energy (qi) you can begin working (gong) with it. If you do the physical movements before developing an awareness of the qi, then you are (as my Boss pointed out,) "Just dancing." You are not 'working' qi.

I faltered for years in half-assed meditations on this subtle energy, never having that subjective, authoritative, authentic realization of qi. It took a medical issue requiring me to dismount the cushion, withdrawals from the post-absorptive effects of sitting meditation, and an ad-hoc qigong style to finally convince me that such an experience of subtle energy was even possible.