Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Confused

edited November 2005 in Faith & Religion
I have been studying Buddhism alot lately and I agree with it but yesterday I got a call from my great Uncle who is a pastor and knows alot about God and Chrsitianity. I told him I was having a hard time adjusting to my enviroment(s) after I left the hospital. He told me to seek Jesus and we prayed and stuff like that. Eversince then I cant diecide is I should practice Buddhism or Chrisitanity. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Just practice whatever makes you feel at peace, but don't get attached to either path. Don't get attached to anything. Just live life with Christian or Buddhist principles, and you can't go wrong.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    There is room in everyone's life for a great diversity of things, Nirvananoob.... You are a young man, slowly finding his way in a world where Life is hard enough without having to make rigid decisions. Let yourself go, and just enjoy being you. "Step outside" of yourself and just know that even by simply asking these questions, you're doing ok.

Relax. Give yourself the space to breathe, and don't impose anything on yourself out of duty or obligation. Take the time to explore different avenues, but stay True to what you know deep within is Right for you. And only you, in time, will come to know what that is. :)
  • ECMECM
    edited November 2005
    You have good friends and good advice here. Be gentle with yourself -- there is no need to be rigid or make snap decisions. Your uncle is kind to call you and pray with you, and he is concerned about you. That is lovely. But in the end, your spirituality is yours -- and you will feel what is right for you.

Gentle golden peace and healing to you --
    EM
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    NirvanaNoob,

I second what Brian said:

"Just practice whatever makes you feel at peace, but don't get attached to either path. Don't get attached to anything. Just live life with Christian or Buddhist principles, and you can't go wrong."

:)

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    The orthodox, NN, of any discipline will tell you that their truth is The Truth. This is true in religion, philosophy, medicine and, even, mathematics. It is the blessing and the curse of orthodoxies.

It is a blessing in that it enables the practitioner to move forward with certainty, sure of where they are and where they are going. Many people need this security. It is the nature of their present journey. This certainty also comforts them in the chaos and uncertainty of living. Challenging the prevailing or group orthodoxy can be met with scorn, disrespect or real hostility.

It is a curse because it entraps the orthodox within the aspect of truth that they have inflated to be the whole of the Truth. The map of their orthodoxy is confused with the territory of the Mystery.

To many of us, some of us with great reluctance and pain, the Truth appears in human awareness in many disguises. Some years ago, the Dalai Lama told my son that all religions have two aspects: the aspect of loving-kindness and the the method to achieve loving-kindness, and that it is only the methods that differ.

For myself, I have come to understand that I have to use many maps, by many great humans, be they Christs, Tathagatas or Prophets. I find so many points of similarity that I cannot simply say "Great Soul A is right so Great Soul B must be wrong." I have to accept that, although I am well-versed in a number of orthodoxies (and have an enormous amount left to learn) and can refer to them, my refusal to identify with any particular system attracts a fair amount of criticism.

I experienced much the same when I trained, back in the '70s, as a psychotherapist. Fortunately, eclecticism was not as abhorrent to the profession as it is to religious professionals. It was possible for me to learn from some of the greatest therapists of the time and to remain a student rather than a disciple.

Today, I find only what St Ignatius calls "consolation" in joining practitioners of different spiritual disciplines in their practice or worship. Because I normally join in silently, I can, inwardly, make whatever adjustments to the language that I may find necessary!

Of course, I am an archetypal "New Ager" (except I'm not: they don't want me either 'cos I giggle too much at the more obvious nonsense!) and practise "Pick'n'Mix" religion. But I made a lot of money working as a consultant for trebor who sold Pick'n'Mix, I can't take that as derogatory: wtf's wrong with Pick'n'Mix? Nothing, unless you have convinced yourself that the only way to confectionery heaven is the Mars bar!
  • edited November 2005
    Yesterday I read some of the Tibetan Book of the dead and It gives a very detailed description of what happens when you die and what happens after you die. In the Bible it discussess heaven and hell but does not give a really detailed description. Is this because the concept of rebirth is real and the concepts of heaven and hell are false?
  • edited November 2005
    Rather than relying on some intellectual idea of what is true or not, sit, pay attention in your daily life, and you will find your own answer, which nobody else can give you. Other than that, or if you're not at the moment up to doing that, my advice would be to return to Christianity.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Rather than relying on some intellectual idea of what is true or not, sit, pay attention in your daily life, and you will find your own answer, which nobody else can give you. Other than that, or if you're not at the moment up to doing that, my advice would be to return to Christianity.

I may be reading this wrong but it sounds very cold-blooded, Genryu: if you can't cope with the notion of a spherical Earth, go back to flat Earth beliefs?

You do tend, I notice, to take a 'hard' line and that may be OK for you and your community. You have, however, been around the boards long enough to know that there are many who are struggling with their practice. To tell them to return to a structure which has let them down in the past is just nasty!

Also, I think that you need to acknowledge that, as I'm sure Palzang will confirm, within Tibetan Buddhism, as within many another Buddhist tradition, there is ongoing revelation of the Dharma. The Tibetan exploration of the bardos may not be your experience or to your taste but Tibetan teachers declare them to be real, as real as your own statements about what is or is not 'Buddhism'.
  • edited November 2005
    Not at all. It's not a hard line, but it is an honest one that pretty much any teacher in any Buddhist tradition would confirm, including by the way the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh. It certainly isn't a question of one Buddhist tradition being different to another. And it has nothing to do with Bardos.

As Charlotte Joko Beck says, "don't take up this practice unless there's really nothing else you can do." Trungpa Rinpoche, from the Vajrayana tradition said the same thing - Don't even begin practice unless you're prepared for what will follow and that is the giving up of everything that you held as yourself.

Unfortunately, particularly in the West, people have this fantasy image of Buddhist teachers usually involving flowing robes and soft spoken platitudes. As anyone who's practiced long term under a living Buddhist teacher, rather than just reading some of their books, will soon tell you - that just ain't so. It's perfectly possible to practice Buddhist meditation for example and gain some benefit, so if a person is really that unhappy about becoming a Buddhist - they shouldn't do it.
  • edited November 2005
    Hey NN, a lot of good words in this thread. Only thing I can add is my experience. I haven't had any problem combining Buddhist philosophy into my belief that Jesus was/is God incarnate, crucified, risen, and currently involved with God's children.

The practice of loving kindness and mindfullness is a universal spiritual ideal, and Buddhism puts the finest point on it of any school of thought I have encountered.

Meditation is not a practice peculiar to Buddhism, and many Christian mystics have utilized to great effect combined with what is currently referred to centering prayer.

Peace and Light, David
  • edited November 2005
    Hey federica, haven't visited in a while. Hope you (and your automobile) are safe and intact.
    It is probably difficult being around all the negative vibes happening in your part of the world right now.

You and ones like you are the light and salt of the earth.

Your friend, David
  • edited November 2005
    Well said ZC.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Bless you for those kind words, David!

Don't want to go off topic, so I may update in 'How was your day?' (Lotus Lounge).

If anything good has come out off all the mess going on around here, as you so correctly point out, it's that hopefully and gradually, a new awareness will develop in france about how 'Liberté, Egalité et fraternité' is all very well as a theoretic model, but differences DO exist between different Cultures and Ethnic groups.... and that the french will ahve to start recognising it as applicable across the board... It will take a long time because, much as the Human animal is 'resistant to Change' in general - the French are very particularly so!!

It is a Good Thing to remember that Words of Wisdom are Words of Wisdom, no matter
    what their origin, be they Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Moslem Jewish, Philosophical or simply Wise...... Where Love Speaks, Humanity would do well to listen. And whatever guise Love comes in, if it is accompanied by Wisdom, then the words cannot be wrong.