Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Like button?

skullchinskullchin Veteran
edited December 2010 in NewBuddhist.com
@Lincoln, I'm really enjoying the switch to Vanilla! Many thanks to you sir!!

I was wondering how many people would want a "like" button on comments. Many times, I've seen comments or posts that I really liked but had nothing to add. A like button would allow us to express our appreciation w/o quoting the entire thread.

Comments

• Yeah I agree.
  • It's sort of rating the worth of a comment for comparison. While many other sites use this and it work's quite well, I don't think it's appropriate on a Buddhist forum.
  • I think it will be an opportunity to practice the precepts. And to work with the 8 worldly winds. We can pass out a like when we feel a good feeling from a post. Sharing love? Maybe thats pushing it.
  • Me 2
  • "Like" is way overrated... :cool:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    a bit like the word 'nice'......

Our English teacher deplored over-use of that word....
  • I like
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    And now we have one. :)
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    :clap: :thumbsup:
  • :thumbsup: this is like button as well
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    And now we have one. :)
    Shazaam! Ask, and ye shall receive! :thumbsup:

Skullchin, I like your cheery little avatar. :)

Hey, VERY cool--I just edited, and then deleted an extraneous post! Very fancy! Cool gear icon!
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2012
    That is a nice touch, I just hope that new buddhist would not turn into some sort of social network :/
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    That is a nice touch, I just hope that new buddhist would not turn into some sort of social network :/
    Funny you should say that. Forums are the original social network. Facebook is the WalMart of social networks and gives us a bad name. ;) (I think that makes MySpace the Sears...)
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2012
    After writing that last post I actually thought to myself exactly what a social network is. But yes, I think ot would be a shame if this forum and others started to resemble such things as twitter or facebook as they are in my opinion a huge combinded ego and full of mindless gossip.
  • This is a discussion board, so I don't think that's likely to happen. But especially with the old format here, it was clear there was a social networking aspect, where you could "friend" people on their page.
  • Funny you should say that. Forums are the original social network. Facebook is the WalMart of social networks and gives us a bad name. ;) (I think that makes MySpace the Sears...)
    And Friendster is Woolworth's. I wonder what Orkut is?