Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindful seeing and listening

edited December 2010 in Meditation
I am new to mindfulness meditation and I would like to know if anyone has/ has had the same "problems" with it as I do.

I feel quite comfortable with mindfulness meditation when I try to focus on what my hands are holding, how my feet are touching the ground or if I try to pay attention to my breath. Of course, my mind will eventually wander off after some time, but I usually realize this rather quickly by now. But every time I try to expand my focus on my sense of seeing or listening, my mind wanders off very quickly.

Is this also just a matter of practice? Can anyone give me any tips as to how I might be able to keep my awareness to what I hear and see longer?

Comments

• flow with the wandering, young butterfly
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited December 2010
    So when you breathe. You can say to yourself rising, falling. (In reference to the stomach).
    When your mind wanders off, you can say thinking, thinking, thinking.
    When you're feeling happy feelings, you can say happy, happy, happy.
    .. and so on and so forth with all other objects of your meditation..

Accompanying phenomena with clear thoughts will general ground oneself in reality.
    In addition, you claim that you have to keep your awareness. Well when are you not aware? Just pay attention to what's happening, right now -- and accompany it with a clear thought. This meditation practice has helped me to realize that nothing needs to be achieved. Just a simple recognition of what's actually happening is sufficient. Just the simple truth.

:)
  • When we see something we just note seeing,when we hear something we just note hearing.
    I am wondering if you are looking,as opposed to seeing.I ask this because you use the term listening and not the term hearing.There is a big difference between the two.If you are looking or listening then I can understand the problem that you are having.
    With metta,
    Phra Greg
  • Mindfulness practice requires only the desire to....increase ones awareness, in this particular light. As we begin to meditate, we may find that our 'thoroughbred' mind has a capacity to romp and play 'in the field'.

This is not uncommon, and a technique I learned long ago may help:

Lay comfortably on your favorite couch, bed, futon or mat.

Breathe slowly and deeply, and let your 'thoroughbred' race wherever it pleases.

As the mind's thoroughbred relaxes from the effort, begin to let yourself sink into the first relaxation. At times, you may find it helpful to concentrate, lightly, of course, on your third eye.

When you reach a state of relaxation that is readily palpable, begin a further relaxation using this technique:

1. Raise your arms, one at a time, slightly...approx. 8-10 inches, and let it drop deliberately after ten or so seconds.

2. Do the same for each of your legs, raising them slightly higher than the legs. Let them drop, without any resistance, with the goal being relaxation coaxed out of the effort of holding your appendages in said state for a time that is slightly taxing to you.

The goal herein is to force relaxation in that you slightly stress and release, achieving a higher relaxation than previously held.

In doing so, you become more aware of self, and this leads to the meditative state you seek.

As posted above, Nothing is important, excepting realization of self in a way that is uncommitted. As I wrote in my teachings, there is nothing in life to gain, nothing to lose. Just like a leaf on the wind, you follow the current of the wind of your mind, and in that wind you will 'float' into understanding.

Lose yourself into the arms of Truth, and feel separated from the normal bonds of societal beliefs of perception.

Mindfulness is a practice that ever reaches into us to become more understanding in a way escaping much of American Society. We practice in our lives in such ways that allow us to see what is real about the World about us, and ourselves that is nonjudgemental, free of the ego and thoughts of criticality....To see as it is.

Curiousity, Openess and a Complete Acceptance are the gifts that can be immediate and pervasive. Being truly PRESENT. Thich Nhat Hanh was one of the first to bring Mindfulness to America, and his teachings further gave birth to the moment to moment awareness, and the lack of personal attachment of any kind.

In a much more practical way of expression, I live in a way that demands nothing, exacts nothing, expects nothing, and I live free.

This is not to say that things are not to be noteworthy in our life. Just the attacthments, and the prediliction of Ego-Feeding are GONE.

In short, Ascent to Gratitude is attainable, as well as Contemplation of the state of mind, feelings, and body. GRATITUDE, again, living in the moment and the...drilling down of impressions, experiences and perceptions to uncloak the darkness of obscurity of what has past and give a greater understanding of what is................

Start with about ten minutes of meditation per day, then gradually build up. After a while, Meditation, while Utmost important, can give way to a 'Constant Meditation' in every step you take.