Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My first retreat - advice?

MakarovMakarov Explorer
edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Dear members, I am contemplating my first Buddhist retreat and have a few questions for those more experienced. There is a center relatively close to me; The Mid-America Buddhist Association in Augusta, Missouri. www.maba.org Does anyone have knowledge of this facility? How long should ones first retreat be, epecially if it is a primarily "silent" retreat? Should my first retreat as a begining Buddhist have any particular theme or "type"? All advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Don't eat baked beans and pears right before you leave for this retreat. Especially if it's a "silent" retreat.

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Makarov,

Your retreat should be as long as you think you are capable of staying comfortably. My first retreat was a week long, but even three or four days can be beneficial. The main thing is to find a place, and people, that you are comfortable with. Once you have visited and checked out the 'surroundings' it is always possible to extend you length of stays. Just start out with a simple, basic retreat. Get the rules, the meditation trainings, and go from there. My advice is that while you are there keep an open mind, be mindful of your actions, and smile. If you feel uncomfortable, or don't trust the organizers of the retreat, don't force yourself to stay. A retreat is only helpful if you have confidence and trust in your fellow practitioners.

So - Relax and enjoy the experience.

;)

Jason
  • edited November 2005
    Makarov wrote:
    Dear members, I am contemplating my first Buddhist retreat and have a few questions for those more experienced...Should my first retreat as a begining Buddhist have any particular theme or "type"?

The teacher will decide the theme if there is one. Other than that, I'd say try not to have too many expectations and stick with it, even if at times you are uncomfortable, which you will be.