Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• thanks for the links
  • I'm a Vajrayana Buddhist :)
  • Is that what you are?
  • Yeah, Vajrayana Buddhist in the Nyingma tradition. I've been introduced to the Longchen Nyingthig lineage and will soon begin practice. When I can go to Oregon and begin training with a Lama. :)
  • Rmurray, may I ask why you chose Vajrayana?
  • If you put on too many coats you'll get hot, probably even lose yourself and begin to look like a bear of sorts.
  • Well, it's a matter of what I've been introduced too. As well as what coincides most with what I discovered in my personal meditation before really studying Buddhism.

The path fits me like a glove is all. It seems to be the proper path for me, I'm actually quite dedicated to becoming a ngakpa. As much as I can learn of Dzogchen without receiving teaching also coincides very strongly with what I discovered on my own meditation... Seems to me that karma brought this all to me for a reason :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The question is, are you trying to "be" something, or what is it you really expect to get out of it? What's your "perfect solution", where you won't "want" anything more?
  • edited December 2010
    The reason I want to become a ngakpa is in an effort to proliferate Buddhism through the west. Many westerners see "true" Buddhists as monastic monks, and really aren't prepared for the vows involved...

The "perfect solution" of course would be to become enlightened and have all the necessary tools to obliterate the suffering of all samsara.

To become a ngakpa is merely a means for me to help others find their path. The reason I choose this path is because I have an inkling towards shamanic practices and rituals.

Believe me, there's not much "want" left in regards to my own being. It's taken me a long time to realize that the only thing that brings me any sort of "happiness" is in helping my fellow sentient beings.

And, yes... I want to "be" a Buddha eventually. But, I feel that for this life I just need to help as many people as I can.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    That's all good, except I'd make the distinction that one doesn't need vows (firstly) to begin walking the path of freedom. If vows aren't taken before practice, they will be uptaken at some point during practice where that true virtue/compassion is developed. All paths lead to the same freedom; where you start is just where you start. I wish you well in your endeavors! May all beings be free of dukkha! :D

Namaste
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The reason I want to become a ngakpa is in an effort to proliferate Buddhism through the west. Many westerners see "true" Buddhists as monastic monks, and really aren't prepared for the vows involved...

The "perfect solution" of course would be to become enlightened and have all the necessary tools to obliterate the suffering of all samsara.

To become a ngakpa is merely a means for me to help others find their path. The reason I choose this path is because I have an inkling towards shamanic practices and rituals.

Believe me, there's not much "want" left in regards to my own being. It's taken me a long time to realize that the only thing that brings me any sort of "happiness" is in helping my fellow sentient beings.

And, yes... I want to "be" a Buddha eventually. But, I feel that for this life I just need to help as many people as I can.
    Thats a very noble goal and I wish you the best :)
  • @cloud
    I'm not really "beginning" to walk the path. I've reached the point in my path where I need a proper teacher is all. As far as vows are concerned, if my teacher feels that I should become a monk then I will. However, I'm quite positive that any monk vows I take will be temporary until I have proven myself as a ngakpa.
    And, thank you for the concern and well wishes :)

@caz namyaw

Thank you friend :)
  • Hi Rmurray1985,

It sounds like you are serious and have good motivation. Good luck with your journey.

"And, yes... I want to "be" a Buddha eventually. But, I feel that for this life I just need to help as many people as I can."
    I think as we move farther down the path and become more aware, we begin to see suffering. Not just our own, but the universal nature of all our human suffering. This realization has a profound effect. When the grasping judgemental mind is replaced with the compassionate understanding mind, peace follows. Naturally we would want to help others to see and end the foolishness of their suffering also.

Best Wishes