Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How To: Mantra Meditation?

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited December 2010 in Meditation
I comprehend mindfulness/breathe-watching meditation. I've done that, but I'm quite interested in mantra meditation. I've been trying to find a good resource on teh interwebz about mantra meditations, but have failed in my attempt to.

Anyone care to post a link to some kind of overview on mantra meditation? Or even feel free to explain it to me. :)

Comments

• www.kaygu.com

Try this link
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Its in Arabic...

• Personally I think its best to stick to Samatha(tranquility) meditation.
    It's a lot more sensible to receive mantra instruction from an offline teacher rather than taking it from the internet.
    Here is some information about the mantra 'Om Mani Padme Hung'.

http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meaning-of-om-mani-padme-hung.htm
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Bump...
  • I kind of have to agree with Dazz. While some do go ahead and try it themselves, mantra recitation often will go along with other practices as well. Also, without going into detail, there are different ways in which to recite.

Mantra's have many different functions, and generally are not effective unless one recieves the transmission from a Vajra Guru. There is more than just the actual words passed to the student. The teacher would be able to explain this a little better, and this probably isn't the place to do so.

Though there are a few mantra's that are well known, most mantra's are taught directly from teacher to student. Hence, tantra is also known as "the secret mantra approach."

Even for those who practice Vajrayana, most usually would need a grounding in Shamatha (calm abiding) meditation before approaching other practices. So do keep practicing!

That being said, if you feel you have some affinity with the practices of Vajrayana, I suggest to find a qualified teacher at a center close to where you live, and perhaps you could arrange a meeting where you can explain your interest. If the teacher is a compassionate one, and most are, they will try to give you some advice and perhaps make some recomendations based on your situation.

What are do you live in?
  • edited December 2010
    Hello, Mindgate -

As a Nichiren Buddhist, mantra chanting is our primary meditation form. Our mantra is not secret; it is Namu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo. You can look for a Nichiren Buddhist temple or sangha in your area, but there are also many videos of Nichiren Buddhist services on the web, including YouTube.

Some Nichiren Shu temples here in the USA are streaming their services online for those who do not live close enough to attend in person.

I hope this is helpful.
  • Yes... In Vajrayana Buddhism we chant mantras for a specific goal... Om mani peme hung; for example, is chanted to cultivate compassion.

I usually do at least 3 full malas (111 counts) of om mani peme hung a day. This mantra doesn't require you to receive empowerments before using. So, I would do some searches on this mantra, and on the deity "Chenrezig" or "Avalokiteshvara".

Om mani peme hung (or om mani padme hum) is pretty much THE mantra of Vajrayana Buddhism. I'd start there :)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Chanting is also present in the Theravada tradition.

In "Living Buddhist Masters," Jack Kornfield wrote:

"The use of mantra or the repetition of certain phrases in Pali is an extremely common form of meditation in the Theravada tradition. Simple mantras use repetition of the Buddha’s name, “Buddho,” [actually "Buddho" is a title rather than a name] or use the “Dhamma,” or the “Sangha,” the community, as mantra words. Other mantras that are used are directed toward developing loving kindness. Some mantras direct attention to the process of change by repeating the Pali phrase that means “everything changes,” while other mantras are used to develop equanimity with phrases that would be translated, “let go.”

Very often mantra practice is combined with breathing meditation, so that one recites a mantra simultaneously with in-breath and out-breath to help develop tranquility and concentration. Mantra meditation is especially popular among the lay people. Like other basic concentration exercises, it can be used simply to still the mind or it can be the basis for an insight practice where the mantra becomes the focus of observation of how life unfolds, or an aid in surrendering and letting go."
  • from my pointed of view, mantra meditation is like chanting. chanting the chants which are found in the tipitakas or any other Buddhist traditional scriptures.

chanting with devotion, with clear faith, with confidence, with non-dual attitude.
    thats so powerful, brings you lots of peace and happiness in your life