Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Long-term isolation

edited December 2010 in Philosophy
Hi,

I stumbled onto this web page today:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/03/30/090330fa_fact_gawande

In short, the article is about the fact that people slowly lose their minds when they're without any social contact for a prolonged period of time. Now, I was wondering, you hear about Buddhist monks who live all by themselves in the mountains, caves etc. These monks also don't have any social contact, yet clearly they're not going insane. How is this possible? Is it all in their state of mind?

Comments

• Must have something to do with the altered state of consciousness they're in most of the time, the meditative state. That's my guess.
  • Well... Most monks go into retreat on monastery property.

They're usually a hop skip and a jump away from their monastery to get any provisions they need. They also often have monks visiting them periodically to make offerings.

• edited December 2010
    That's my guess too. Monks in isolation are involved in repeated intense inner-directed mental exercises. They're meditating not vegetating.

BTW, Hearing about those early rhesus monkey isolation experiments again makes me sick.
    :angry:
  • edited December 2010
    True, Rmurray, but my understanding was that the ones who seal themselves up in caves don't see anyone, sometimes for years. Food is brought to them, but it's left in some cases by unseen hands, wordlessly. Maybe there's more to this scenario than we've been lead to believe.
  • With the proper motivation... I believe humans can endure anything to accomplish their goal... Human will can be incredible strong.

That's about all I can really say on the subject of absolute hermits.

• Meditation puts the body into a sort of state of hibernation, doesn't it, to some extent? The passage of time becomes very relative, and if the practitioner is accessing a bliss state, then...who needs human company?
  • I think that in most situations, those who take extended retreats do so under the advice and guidance of their teacher. Many teacher's will not permit a long retreat if they don't think they are ready for it.

Sometimes our pride is a hinderance though, as I know one layperson who went against the advice of ther Master and took a solo retreat, and they did have obstacles.

It takes a lot of merit to be able to endure a long solo retreat.
  • Everything in moderation, even meditation. I feel if you spend too much time alone, your mind will start to deteriorate due to lack of social interaction. I know all about isolation. I was doing independent studies for the majority of high school. Never made even one friend in my time doing independent studies, because I was isolated. Maybe my teacher or my counselor, but that wasn't a real friendship.

It wasn't till I was around 18 where I started competing in martial arts and video games where I made my first real friends and real girl friend. But even then it wasn't till my sensei gave me orders that I began to try to socialize normally with strangers. I had to teach myself how to properly socialize due to all the years I spent alone, it did not come naturally to me.

It wasn't easy. I was agoraphobic and scared of crowds for a bit. I had a panic attack while trying to enroll at a community college. While at a desk as I approached the enrollment staff my words and my thoughts froze up and my mind went completely blank. It was through much practice, and much research of Buddhist philosophy that I actually began to get comfortable socializing with strangers. I'm still an introvert, parties drain me. But I appreciate the company of people in small groups, probably more than most.
  • Meditation isn't for everyone, as mentioned elsewhere. A good teacher is supposed to be able to evaluate the students, and know who isn't right for meditation (even for at home practice), who isn't right for isolation, as Mani mentioned. Good story, Mr. S. And FYI, most people find large parties difficult. They're pretty impersonal, unless it's all your friends gathered.