Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Imperfection and Mindfulness

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I have a question. Perhaps I'm taking my reading too literally, but my understanding of mindfulness is this: we need to appreciate this moment without attachment to our past or to our future through quieting the mind. This includes an appreciation and as I understand it, an acceptance, of the imperfections of life. Because to wish that things were different is to cause suffering in our life.

If all that is somewhat correct and not a gross oversimplification than I'm stuck on something. If we accept this moment as all there is including the imperfections of the world, than how shall we ever end suffering? Right now there is suffering all over the world and my acceptance of this moment is an acceptance of that suffering. So, how or when is it acceptable to transition from acceptance of how things are to how things should be (by that I mean, how they should be if we were all enlightened and unencumbered by our suffering).

In short, how do I fully accept this moment without reservation and at the same time actively seek to find my Buddhaspirit and end the suffering of all?

Loving kindness for all,

--Chris

Comments

• How long are you meditating?
    If you just started, just give it some more time and you'll see.
    If you are already doing it for a long time, just give it some more time and you'll see.
  • I think it's not so much an acceptance of imperfection in the present moment as an acknowledgment of imperfection in the present moment, which is different in a subtle way. Things are what they are in the present moment. This does not prevent us from a constructive motivation to try to improve our own lives or act compassionately toward others.

It's possible to (pretty much) experience both states at the same time. We make mental note of the fact that things are not ideal in the present moment, but we can apply motivational states or meditative techniques such as metta meditation, tonglen, and bodhisattva motivation practice to improve whatever we can with compassion as a motivation. So if nothing else, it's possible to alternate mindfulness practice with these other practices to work for improvement of the state of all sentient beings.

It's like a fundamental need such as being hungry. We can sit still and accept hunger as the imperfection of the present moment, but once the hunger becomes great enough, we stop accepting the hunger and eat something.
  • Sabre - You are probably right ;-)

SherabDorje - Thank you for your thoughtful response, you are likely right but it is a stumbling block for me. One that likely results from my overlay literal nature and a lack of perspective that more time and more thought will provide.

Thank you both again, with loving-kindness for all.

--Chris
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I have a question. Perhaps I'm taking my reading too literally, but my understanding of mindfulness is this: we need to appreciate this moment without attachment to our past or to our future through quieting the mind. This includes an appreciation and as I understand it, an acceptance, of the imperfections of life. Because to wish that things were different is to cause suffering in our life.

If all that is somewhat correct and not a gross oversimplification than I'm stuck on something. If we accept this moment as all there is including the imperfections of the world, than how shall we ever end suffering? Right now there is suffering all over the world and my acceptance of this moment is an acceptance of that suffering. So, how or when is it acceptable to transition from acceptance of how things are to how things should be (by that I mean, how they should be if we were all enlightened and unencumbered by our suffering).

In short, how do I fully accept this moment without reservation and at the same time actively seek to find my Buddhaspirit and end the suffering of all?

Loving kindness for all,

--Chris
    That is actually a very good question, and one that even the great Buddhist minds of the past have struggled with. It is, in fact, the philosophical split between Theravadan and Mahayana Buddhists way back then. Big Vessel and Little Vessel. It's hard enough to free yourself from Samsara. How can you free someone else?

The Big and Small Vessel as metaphor is intentional back then and illustrates the problem. The Dharma is a lifeboat, and everyone is drowning in the sea of Samsara and suffering. How can you even think of helping other people while your own head is going under? First, get into the boat. But, after that, what is possible for you to do depends on how big the boat is. Is it just big enough for you, or is it big enough to reach out and pull other people to safety?

If Buddhism has a fault, it's a tendency to shrug its shoulders and say, "That's the nature of the world, to be accepted." So the Buddhists retreat behind temple walls and turn their practice into a passive quest for self-Enlightenment. Most Buddhists still think of karma as a form of fate, after all. So people are where they are because of their own actions, and they have to get themselves out of the mess. Whatcha gonna do?

My first Zen Teacher used to say, "You are all perfect just the way you are, and we can all do a little better!"

So to give my own answer to your question: I don't know. I have taken the Bodhisattva vows, but the beauty is that even those vows acknowledge the paradox. It seems impossible. We vow to do it, anyway. Maybe the impossible will happen. I don't know. It's just, something in me won't let all those people drown without trying to help. Not much of an answer, I'm afraid. I hope you keep this "Don't know" mind, also.
  • "I'm stuck on something. If we accept this moment as all there is including the imperfections of the world, than how shall we ever end suffering? Right now there is suffering all over the world and my acceptance of this moment is an acceptance of that suffering."

I had a similar problem until i realized there was a difference between indifference and equanimity. You are not met to let the world alone and withdraw into yourself, you can still attempt to affect change in the world around you but have an equanimity toward the results. Don't attach to the outcome you would prefer, it is ok to prefer the world be a certain way, and even work toward that goal, as long as it is a goal of a skillful view. But just don't attach to success. You could prefer to build a house, and do what you can to build one, but then if the next day it burns down, don't be upset, don't attach to a certain outcome. you can prefer that you would live for a long time, but if tomorrow you find that you have stage 4 metastasized tumors all over your body, you wouldn't suffer because you wouldn't be attached to the outcome of living into old age.

like i said, the difference between indifference and equanimity, it's almost an ineffable difference, one that i only recently discovered. i suggest meditation.