Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Going somewhere unknown

edited December 2010 in Meditation
My spouse and I were discussing we both have this thing we do in meditation that we cannot understand and have never heard about. There are sometimes black holes in time. That is, I (we) find myself returning to my breath, but have no idea where I just was. I know I was not asleep. I was aware of my surroundings, sounds, etc. I think my black holes last for a few seconds or a couple minutes. The closest analog is what happens when one is day dreaming while doing something like cloud watching, but there is not an actual, or perhaps remembered dream that occurred.

So, the intention of understanding what this is, is what to do about it, if anything other than returning to the breath.

Comments

• put your finger in the black hole and see what it feels like
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Just sounds like spacing out; rather than being drawn from the breath by another thought or sense, you're not paying attention to anything in particular. That's not so bad. What is unpleasant the first time you come to it is when you go deep enough that the breath itself disappears, and you feel afraid you've stopped breathing and might die. First time that happened I had to will myself to not care; that it was perfectly natural. Sure didn't feel natural. :D
  • Spacing out. Yes. Spaced out. I just start noting it - "spaced out" - and return to the breath.

It seems rather nit wit not to have figured this out myself. I am so used to active and identifiable distractions that this null zone just did not compute.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >So, the intention of understanding what this is, is what to do about it, if anything other than returning to the breath.

Nope, that's it. Just returning to breath. Because it does not matter where you were, what matters is where you are. :)