Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhists who do not believe in rebirth

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I have noticed that a lot of members who have stated that they are Buddhists, have said that they do not believe in the concept of rebirth. I do believe in rebirth, and I respect peoples views on this matter, but It would be interesting to know answers to questions such as, why they believe in Buddhism but not rebirth ?, what they feel the point of their life is if they do not believe that there is rebirth when they die ? Do they believe in karma ? do they believe in Nirvana ? I myself find it hard to believe in the concept of Nirvana without the concept of rebirth, they kind of depend on each other as all things do.
Thanks for any replies

Metta to all Sentient Beings

Comments

• >>>>"zidangus">>>>I have noticed that a lot of members who have stated that they are Buddhists, have said that they do not believe in the concept of rebirth.

Yes, we seem a surprisingly common bunch here!:)

>>>>I do believe in rebirth, and I respect peoples views on this matter.

Good, and likewise. its important to remember we can never know for certain either way.

>>>But It would be interesting to know answers to questions such as: Why they believe in Buddhism but not rebirth ?

Well my view on this is quite extreme. I believe that the Buddha taught that rebirth was wrong view - a delusion the attachment to which causes Dukka just like all delusions. In fact I think this is the prime delusion.

I think there are clues to to this in the texts, but mainly i think rebirth has been inserted into the doctrine in the millenia after his death.

In summary, I think that the Buddha was saying that we must escape the IDEA of samara rather than the hindu notion of samsara.

>>>what they feel the point of their life is if they do not believe that there is rebirth when they die ?

There is no point to life other than to increase the happiness, truth and peace in the world. But this truth is liberating not negitavising! To me it says, "This is our only life, the house is burning, live it in dharma."

>>>>Do they believe in karma ?

Yes of course:) As interdependent moral/mental/spiritual causation.

>>>>Do they believe in Nirvana ?

Yes, as an idealised freedom from suffering/attachment/ignorance. the buddha lived 50 years in nibbana, eating milk rice and getting tired and ill.

namaste
  • This onotological, intellectual discussion of the validity of rebirth is non-conducive to awakening and leads to confusion, misinterpretation, doubt, and suffering. The root of Buddhist faith lies in the 4 noble truth, the second of which is the truth of the cause of suffering. This truth is extrapolated upon in the concept of dependent-origination, the 11th link of which is the rebirth of consciousness.

There is not a question of believing or not believing in rebirth. There is a question of how well you have come to understand what rebirth is and how the truth of its function leads to one's suffering.
  • To find out why they don't believe in rebirth, read the relevant threads. Karma doesn't necessarily have anything to do with rebirth. Karma functions within each lifetime. For those who believe in rebirth, it functions across lifetimes. Take your pick.
  • i feel like rebirth is irrelevant, all it does as serve as another thing to which we might cling to, and perhaps falsely. whether it does or doesn't exist wouldn't you try and do the same things in life? i think maybe the only reason the Buddha taught of it was to give hope to those who felt like they couldn't become enlightened in their lifetime, and maybe also as a deterrent from suicide.
  • i feel like rebirth is irrelevant, all it does as serve as another thing to which we might cling to, and perhaps falsely. whether it does or doesn't exist wouldn't you try and do the same things in life? i think maybe the only reason the Buddha taught of it was to give hope to those who felt like they couldn't become enlightened in their lifetime, and maybe also as a deterrent from suicide.

Have a ponder of the idea that he didn't teach rebirth. Contemplate the Mirror of Dharma gift he gives Ananda (In the MP suttra) and see what it is this gives.

We Buddhists spend so long trying to extinguish attachment, what of the attachment to an afterlife?

• exactly
  • zidangus, I don't believe in one version those things for the same reason I am not a Christian - there's simply no reason for it.

I do, however, see rebirth all around and within me. I see people entering Nirvana and I see enlightened people who have never had anything to do with Buddhism. Basically, I believe Buddha spoke in metaphors and similes.

Don't get me wrong, I am not picking and choosing, it's simply the only way that Buddhism makes sense to me.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I have noticed that a lot of members who have stated that they are Buddhists, have said that they do not believe in the concept of rebirth. I do believe in rebirth, and I respect peoples views on this matter, but It would be interesting to know answers to questions such as, why they believe in Buddhism but not rebirth ?, what they feel the point of their life is if they do not believe that there is rebirth when they die ? Do they believe in karma ? do they believe in Nirvana ? I myself find it hard to believe in the concept of Nirvana without the concept of rebirth, they kind of depend on each other as all things do.
    Thanks for any replies

Its called Nihilism, When the two concepts of Buddhism and Nihilism merge one might as well think the fastest way to end suffering is to end your own life. :(
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I myself find it hard to believe in the concept of Nirvana without the concept of rebirth...
    The Buddha described Nirvana as the end of greed, hatred & delusion to be experienced here & now. The Buddha described Nirvana as mind object, experienced by the mind. The Buddha advised Nirvana occurs to the mind when the impermanence, unsatisfactoriness & selflessness of all conditioned phenomena is fully realised. If that is the case, how is Nirvana related to rebirth?

:scratch:
    ...what they feel the point of their life is if they do not believe that there is rebirth when they die...
    The Budddha taught the goal or purpose of the spiritual life is the unshakeable freedom of mind; a mind that is not agitated by anything. So how is the point of our life related to rebirth?

Do they believe in karma?
    Karma is about action & its resuts. The Buddha declared karma is intention & from karma arises three results, namely, a result in the here & now, a result in the future & a result later on.

For example, if we drink alcohol, the result in the here & now is pleasure. The result in the future will be a hangover or headache. The result after that will be craving for alcohol or addiction. The result is taking birth as an addicted 'hungry ghost'.

Or if we rob a bank, the immediate result is pleasure of having money. The future result is fear of being caught. The result is taking birth as a 'fearful demon'. The later result may be a lifetime in a prison cell. This later result is taking birth as a inhabitant of 'hell'.

So how is the belief in karma related to rebirth after death?

• Its called Nihilism, When the two concepts of Buddhism and Nihilism merge one might as well think the fastest way to end suffering is to end your own life. :(
    The Buddha found the path between nihilism and mysticism, it is the noble eightfold path that leads towards the cessation of suffering.

There is no merging for me, if you don't see this you don't see the dharma I see.

Its called Nihilism, When the two concepts of Buddhism and Nihilism merge one might as well think the fastest way to end suffering is to end your own life. :(
    The Buddha found the path between nihilism and mysticism, it is the noble eightfold path that leads towards the cessation of suffering.

There is no merging for me, if you don't see this you don't see the dharma I see.

That it is, However if the Nihilists view is true we should be able to find some advise on ending your suffering quicker through suicide. If the view that the end of this life is it then we have only death to look forward to as our release.

The middle path also embraces practise in the face of suffering this suffering namely being the continous rebirth and death we have experienced life after life and metaphorically in this life as well.

It begs the question that if there are those whom do not do not beleive in rebirth or any form of afterlife experience then why do they practise the path to eliminate suffering when one thinks that consciousness only arises in dependence upon the factors of this existance and nothing more ? Surely death would be the quicker release !
    edited December 2010
    The Buddha himself taught about two kinds of nihilism.

The first is 'moral nihilism', where a person believes actions are void of results; that there is no efficacy of karma; where unskilful actions will not lead to the other worlds, namely, ghost (addiction), animal (stupidity) & hell (suffering).

The second is 'spiritual nihilism', where a person believes death will end their suffering (rather than the practise of the noble eightfold path).

As for your meaning of 'nihilism' Caz Namyaw, that is your own; it is your own world (loka).

:(

• >>>>"caz namyaw">>>>That it is, However if the Nihilists view is true we should be able to find some advise on ending your suffering quicker through suicide. If the view that the end of this life is it then we have only death to look forward to as our release.

We could end it all now, and end suffering.

Or we could spend these lives dreaming of heavens or mystical nibbanas.

Both ways are unwholesome. The middle way is the way between them.

Life is special. Life is short.

>>>>>It begs the question that if there are those whom do not do not beleive in rebirth or any form of afterlife experience then why do they practise the path to eliminate suffering when one thinks that consciousness only arises in dependence upon the factors of this existance and nothing more ? Surely death would be the quicker release!

No, because even though the gloomy Buddhist orthodoxy has painted life as suffering and not much else, the reality is that along side dukka is the real and vibrant possibility of Sukka; peace and joy and fun and love and friendship happiness. Fragile and empty and impermanent as they are, they still are.

Sadly, this part of dharma doesn't fit to well with the monastic life that has shaped what remains of the buddha's teachings.

Cheer up;)

• I have noticed that a lot of members who have stated that they are Buddhists, have said that they do not believe in the concept of rebirth. I do believe in rebirth, and I respect peoples views on this matter, but It would be interesting to know answers to questions such as, why they believe in Buddhism but not rebirth ?, what they feel the point of their life is if they do not believe that there is rebirth when they die ? Do they believe in karma ? do they believe in Nirvana ? I myself find it hard to believe in the concept of Nirvana without the concept of rebirth, they kind of depend on each other as all things do.
    Thanks for any replies

yes the fastest way to end suffering is to end your life, but then you can't experience happiness either.
    edited December 2010
    That it is, However if the Nihilists view is true we should be able to find some advise on ending your suffering quicker through suicide.
    The Buddha advised suffering ends the quickest by practising the Noble Eightfold Path.

The Buddha advised in the very instant we regard what is seen, heard, smelt, tasted, touched and experienced by the mind as impermanent & not-self, suffering will end.

For suffering to end by ending self-view occurs far quicker than it takes for a human being to commit suicide.

If we believe in takes many lifetimes to free the mind from suffering, this will be a hindrance to our practise. In reality, it takes one moment.

It is essential we develop the supreme confidence in the efficacy of the Buddha-Dhamma.

Best wishes

:)

• Maybe we should all focus more of our attention and energy on our practices and on propogating love and compassion, than trying to define an undefinable concept.
  • yes this all seems like part of the fourth imponderable
    edited December 2010
    irrelevent
  • not if your buddhist
    That it is, However if the Nihilists view is true we should be able to find some advise on ending your suffering quicker through suicide.
    The Buddha advised suffering ends the quickest by practising the Noble Eightfold Path.

The Buddha advised in the very instant we regard what is seen, heard, smelt, tasted, touched and experienced by the mind as impermanent & not-self, suffering will end.

For suffering to end by ending self-view occurs far quicker than it takes for a human being to commit suicide.

If we believe in takes many lifetimes to free the mind from suffering, this will be a hindrance to our practise. In reality, it takes one moment.

It is essential we develop the supreme confidence in the efficacy of the Buddha-Dhamma.

Best wishes

It takes one moment to commit suicide as well DD if the view holds that there is non to experience rebirth then suffering will certainly end upon death...I would no longer suffer as there would be no I to personally experience it, If this holds true then who needs compassion for others ? Death shall be the release...
    Thanks for any replies

yes the fastest way to end suffering is to end your life, but then you can't experience happiness either.
    Happiness isnt really happiness though is it ? Its a temporary reduction of previous suffering and deceptive in that it binds you tighter to samsara and causes more suffering....
  • >>>>"caz namyaw">>>>Happiness isnt really happiness though is it ? Its a temporary reduction of previous suffering and deceptive in that it binds you tighter to samsara and causes more suffering....

Nonsense, utter nonsense. This is the talk of one who wishes we were spiritually enslaved.

I get the impression the Buddha was pretty happy.

• caz, I think that's ONE type of happiness. It's proven that Buddhist lamas have incredibly high levels (among the highest recorded) of activity in the part of the brain responsible for joy and low levels of activity in the part of the brain responsible for worry and sadness.

There's the temporary happiness you get from materialistic gains and then there's the permanent happiness you get from removing everything that clouds it.

Am I wrong?
    >>>>"caz namyaw">>>>Happiness isnt really happiness though is it ? Its a temporary reduction of previous suffering and deceptive in that it binds you tighter to samsara and causes more suffering....

Nonsense, utter nonsense. This is the talk of one who wishes we were spiritually enslaved.

I get the impression the Buddha was pretty happy.

Spiritually enslaved ? I wish this ???....Lets avoid the Ad homs shall we ? :)

And why do you think the Buddha was very happy ? Was it because he stayed in his palace and enjoyed samsara and its deceptive pleasures or was it because he realized their deceptiveness and worked to find the happiness that is free of samsara ? Free of suffering ?
  • >>>>>"caz namyaw">>>>Spiritually enslaved ? I wish this ???....Lets avoid the Ad homs shall we ? :)

Yes, sorry, you are right, my bad. The point I was trying to make, though did so ad bacculum more than hominem, was that telling people they can't really be happy without rebirth implies chaining us to the idea of rebirth in order to have happiness. Which I think is Wrong Dharma.

>>>And why do you think the Buddha was very happy ? Was it because he stayed in his palace and enjoyed samsara and its deceptive pleasures or was it because he realized their deceptiveness and worked to find the happiness that is free of samsara ? Free of suffering ?

Clearly the latter. But you make the cumbersome mistake of lumping sense pleasures et al with other pleasures, such as friendship, challenge, peace, love, loving, fun and contemplation.

peace

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    How does committing suicide end suffering? It only ends suffering for the one committing suicide. If that person were to continue living, they could dedicate their life to ending the suffering of so many others. When one person commits suicide, all those potential future beneficiaries of the person's charitable acts lose out, and suffering continues.
  • How does committing suicide end suffering? It only ends suffering for the one committing suicide. If that person were to continue living, they could dedicate their life to ending the suffering of so many others. When one person commits suicide, all those potential future beneficiaries of the person's charitable acts lose out, and suffering continues.

This is a really good point I hadn't considered. To say "Why not kill youself and end suffering" is a mistaken ego view isn't it.

namaste
    edited December 2010
    It takes one moment to commit suicide as well DD if the view holds that there is none to experience rebirth then suffering will certainly end upon death...I would no longer suffer as there would be no I to personally experience it, If this holds true then who needs compassion for others ? Death shall be the release...
    Caz

No.

It does not take one moment to commit suicide. Human beings ponder over suicide for lengths of time.

The Buddha advised an act of mental action is far more powerful than an act of bodily action. The Buddha advised a mind moment is far more quicker than the time span of a bodily action.

We have compassion for others by advising them practising right view will release them from suffering.

It is important for those who suffer to have full confidence there is a way to end suffering via refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma & Sangha.

All the best

DD

How does committing suicide end suffering? It only ends suffering for the one committing suicide. If that person were to continue living, they could dedicate their life to ending the suffering of so many others. When one person commits suicide, all those potential future beneficiaries of the person's charitable acts lose out, and suffering continues.

This is a really good point I hadn't considered. To say "Why not kill youself and end suffering" is a mistaken ego view isn't it.

namaste
    Not from a Nihilists POV is it ?

edited December 2010
    And why do you think the Buddha was very happy ? Was it because he stayed in his palace and enjoyed samsara and its deceptive pleasures or was it because he realized their deceptiveness and worked to find the happiness that is free of samsara ? Free of suffering ?
    And how is this related to rebirth?

The Buddha found happiness of mind.

The samsara his mind was free from was the samsara of greed, hatred & delusion.

• How does committing suicide end suffering? It only ends suffering for the one committing suicide. If that person were to continue living, they could dedicate their life to ending the suffering of so many others. When one person commits suicide, all those potential future beneficiaries of the person's charitable acts lose out, and suffering continues.

namaste
    Not from a Nihilists POV is it ?

"Mommy! He called be a nillerist!"

It takes one moment to commit suicide as well DD if the view holds that there is none to experience rebirth then suffering will certainly end upon death...I would no longer suffer as there would be no I to personally experience it, If this holds true then who needs compassion for others ? Death shall be the release...
    Caz

No.

It does not take one moment to commit suicide. Human beings ponder over suicide for lengths of time.

The Buddha advised an act of mental action is far more powerful than an act of bodily action. The Buddha advised a mind moment is far more quicker than the time span of a bodily action.

We have compassion for others by advising them practising right view will release them from suffering.

It is important for those who suffer to realise there is a way to end suffering.

All the best

DD

Okay DD I'll grant you that maybe not one moment to commit suicide a few perhapes. But after that if one holds that there is no rebirth after death what is their to worry about if your suffering is that much, I ceases at the time of death.

Sure I agree with you DD right view is key so tell me this...

If one holds the view that there is only one life of existance and upon the ceasing of the causes for life I shall existinguish and nothing futher shall occur to I Suffering and happiness alike, Then what is to stop those whom hold the Nihilistic view from saying...The path Buddha taught of freedom from suffering is strenuous to accomplish but because suffering ceases as well at the
    time of death if my suffering is so great I shall no longer have to experience such upon death.

If one expounds the view of a single existance and a complete ceasing of Self at the time of death and the complete non existance of action and effect transmigrating and forming the causes for new existance to arise where self-becomes again then why would such a person wish to practise the path to freedom from suffering for oneself or others if the view of Nihilism holds that at the time of death everything shall cease be it happiness, sadness, or neutral feeling ?

To beleive this Nihilism is not the middle path, One may as well commit suicide if they hold the view that the ceasing of suffering (Nivarna) and the ceasing of the physical aggregates to sustain existance of self are the same thing.

• a) Suicide does not end suffering. Personal suffering, which is only based on "wrong thought", perhaps, but there's an entire world of humans out there. In fact suicide can negatively impact the lives of those who know you, increasing their suffering (which may be passed on to others).

b) Because suffering still exists in human society, any "rebirth" into that society will necessarily entail suffering! What we do now does affect future conditions, regardless of how we choose to think of rebirth.

If you know selfless rebirth, you look to the whole and not yourself. If still looking to yourself, this means Anatta has not been fully penetrated. Either way, both points above hold true; suicide is not a skillful action that has no unwholesome results. Simply thinking this is your only life is not reason for suicide either; there are many atheists who think this way who still find life fulfilling.

My two cents.

Namaste
    a) Suicide does not end suffering. Personal suffering, which is only based on "wrong thought", perhaps, but there's an entire world of humans out there. In fact suicide can negatively impact the lives of those who know you, increasing their suffering (which may be passed on to others).

b) Because suffering still exists in human society, any "rebirth" into that society will necessarily entail suffering! What we do now does affect future conditions, regardless of how we choose to think of rebirth.

If you know selfless rebirth, you look to the whole and not yourself. If still looking to yourself, this means Anatta has not been fully penetrated. Either way, both points above hold true; suicide is not a skillful action that has no unwholesome results. Simply thinking this is your only life is not reason for suicide either; there are many atheists who think this way who still find life fulfilling.

My two cents.

Namaste

a) I think you will find that if one is dead you can beat the corpse all you like and they wont twitch or feel pain mental or phycial ? How could they when there is no conscious activity ?! Of course suicide can negatively impact others lives but if one holds a real Nihilist view then the same solution to the problem will end others suffering just as well will it not ? All things are pointless in the face of total Annihilation...To a Nihilist really what would be the point of practising Buddhadharma when the Buddhas aim is to free us from our suffering, A bullet to the head ends brain activity in most cases once this corpse becomes non functional it will no longer suffer dont forget there is NO I to suffer a teaching taken this way on No self is but futher food for destruction for one whom holds the pointlessness of all things in the face of Anihilation is it not ?

b) Suffering may well exist but to a Nihilist what better way to cease it then death ? Rebirth ? oh becareful we wouldnt want to affirm a beleif in that...Dont forget this is Nihilism the view that holds no rebirth but only the complete ceasing of everything in the face of death, There is no going back from this or forward from it to affirm a usefulness for Buddhadharma one has to come up with a goal that cannot be topped by death to one whom would beleive that upon death all suffering ceases anyway and no rebirth occurs.
    Sure there are many atheists whom hold the view that there is no rebirth either they would be able enjoy life or hate it and die. But in the face of death to a Nihilist wether he is atheistic or not will not matter because wether he or she has lived a life of non virtue or faultless virtue it will amount to nothing it will all cease, I will cease, Others will cease. So what point is the working for anything when an all ending death takes you ?

That is unless any Buddhists out their would like to affirm that there is rebirth as traditionally taught and that suffering will go on and on transmigration after transmigration. No escape from suffering through death but only through Nivarna...

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @caz, Nihilistic view is wrong view, I think we all agree the Buddha taught the Middle Way between Eternalism and Nihilism, Indulgence and Self-Mortification. The same emptiness out of which human life arises is that to which it belongs and returns; form is emptiness, emptiness is form. There is neither "nothing" nor "self"; only in preoccupation with ourselves do we get lost; there is no separate self to speak of; this is only our delusion leading us around in torment. This is our dukkha, our clinging to self. There is a way to view rebirth that is selfless; this takes practice and honest introspection, an actual desire to know truth whether it is painful to us or not. When we find that truth, we realize it's not painful at all; it was our ignorance that caused the pain. Loss of ignorance = loss of dukkha. That we are unable to understand the simplicity of this is all that holds us back.
    @caznamyaw
    The Buddha's teaching is the middle way, to hold neither nihilistic nor eternalistic view.
    If one has a nihilistic view, that's not Buddhism then is it? :D
    The same goes for an eternalistic view. The trick is to find the view that is in between.
    The in-between view is "selfless"; to really understand that one must penetrate Anatta.
    Yes I know that ! I do not expound the eternalistic view either...Buddha taught No-self. I dont not beleive in an eternal soul something that is unchanging, But rather a becoming and a ceasing of self...life after life. Self is possessed in the gross and subtle aspects the very subtle aspect is that which carries the potentials for re-arising of the subtle and gross self...These become and cease in accordence with causes and conditions they arise upon, This is not eternalism for it to be eternalism I would have to beleive in an immortal soul that is unchaning life after life but instead I beleive in a transmigratory consciousness possessing No-Self other then the conventional aspect that arises upon its causes and conditions and of course is impermenant because of this not a permenant soul as some would mistakenly grasp at !
    That is more of a middle way that has been traditionally taught within buddhism minding the semantics of various sects about it rather then a quasi-nihilism of no self and pointless activity in the face of a silence about an after existance of this selfs passing...:)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I actually edited my post to make it more clear. You must've started replying before I had it done. :) The view that consciousness, which conditioned your life, goes on to condition future life that is neither you nor belongs to you (as consciousness is not you or yours either) is Middle Way thinking. No argument there.
    I actually edited my post to make it more clear. You must've started replying before I had it done. :) The view that consciousness, which conditioned your life, goes on to condition future life that is neither you nor belongs to you (as consciousness is not you or yours either) is Middle Way thinking. No argument there.
    Correct however it is also correct to say that this future consciousness which is not the past self, directly arose upon the cause and conditions of having experienced a past self...One can get caught up in aserting that there is no past self that gave rise to this future self because of seeing and apparent contradiction in one being the arising of the next without possessing this self nature as Inherantly existant !

• You lost me. Do people really think like that? ... :D
    You lost me. Do people really think like that? ... :D
    They do when they think rebirth an eternalistic doctrine !
  • That's why it's important to find the Middle Way view, for those who hold either a nihilistic or eternalistic "doctrine of self". As long as we cling to a doctrine of self, we are subject to dukkha. That's as simple as it gets, but it's a difficult thing to face; most people are closer to one extreme or another than the Middle Way. Even traditions.
    That's why it's important to find the Middle Way view, for those who hold either a nihilistic or eternalistic "doctrine of self". As long as we cling to a doctrine of self, we are subject to dukkha. That's as simple as it gets, but it's a difficult thing to face; most people are closer to one extreme or another than the Middle Way. Even traditions.
    Perhapes so but there is no need to the throw the baby out with the bath water by some claiming rebirth as known is a doctrine of eternalism rather then as traditionally taught as a doctrine that recognises the becoming and ceasing of Non Inherantly existant selves in dependence upon their causes and conditions as the basis of experiencing a rebirth so to speak.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I don't believe rebirth is taught as a doctrine of eternalism as much as I believe some people don't understand it because they're still clinging to self, and clinging to self they distort rebirth toward eternalism. It depends on the individual and their efforts to penetrate Anatta. While still unawakened, our delusional clinging still gives rise to wrong thoughts and wrong understandings of the teachings; otherwise, we'd awaken at the mere words being spoken, without practice being needed. We must dissolve our attachment to self to move forward.
  • Anatta is one of the wise Buddha's most important teachings. If we can finally let go of The big attachment, to our illusory self, then reality just is. We no longer separate reality from ourselves with complex conceptualizations and creative beliefs. Freedom, liberation, awakening, Nirvana, just is.

That some would stretch Rebirth into eternalism is not surprising. We cling to this belief because we mistakenly think it gives us some kind of security when in fact it creates all kinds of suffering. Through meditation we can begin to see.
  • seeing that everyone is beating up on nihilism, maybe i can try and give a nihilist perspective that is perfectly consistent with buddhist perspective.

"a) I think you will find that if one is dead you can beat the corpse all you like and they wont twitch or feel pain mental or phycial ? How could they when there is no conscious activity ?! Of course suicide can negatively impact others lives but if one holds a real Nihilist view then the same solution to the problem will end others suffering just as well will it not ? All things are pointless in the face of total Annihilation...To a Nihilist really what would be the point of practising Buddhadharma when the Buddhas aim is to free us from our suffering, A bullet to the head ends brain activity in most cases once this corpse becomes non functional it will no longer suffer dont forget there is NO I to suffer a teaching taken this way on No self is but futher food for destruction for one whom holds the pointlessness of all things in the face of Anihilation is it not ? "

Indeed things are pointless once oblivion has come, but until then all things have just as much of a point as they do in buddhism or even Abrahamic monotheistic religions.

Buddhism is attractive because it promises liberation from suffering through realization of dharma. Christianity is attractive because it promises liberation from suffering through heaven. The "values" held in these religions still come down to happiness and suffering. A buddhist sees that his actions have consequences for himself and that by non-clinging and compassion he can reach nibanna. a christian sees that by not - sinning he can reach heaven, essentially equivalent to nibanna. The goal is happiness in either situation. A nihilist sees that he can also feel happiness, he likes it, so he may as well attempt to achieve it. I, a nihilist, have found that buddhism is the best path to this happiness, and ironically that by not clinging to my happiness i am better suited to achieve it. I still attempt to achieve happiness but, understanding buddhist teachings have learned to have equanimity toward the results. The point is happiness is always the goal.

Where buddhism and nihilism split is in the question of whether happiness has objective or subjective value. In the case of buddhism, with the belief that your consciousness will never end, one can be more comfortable that what you are doing now will always have value, not just for a certain period of time have value. Nihilists wish to feel happiness but don't believe happiness will always be a value, it is only a value in circumstances where it can be felt and enjoyed circumstances that will end after death. you still value happiness, subjectively, while you are alive and because kindness, non-self etc. are ingredients to that happiness they can be followed. I might note here that the nihilistic view of afterlife, or absence thereof is better backed by science.

In nihilism there is no reason not to commit suicide, but there is also no reason to commit suicide because you are bringing yourself less felt happiness by ending your life.

The negative value of suffering is no longer existent once the subjective circumstances giving it value cease to exist. Suffering does not matter once it is not felt so suicide gives you nothing. Only takes away from you happiness. You gain no peace from suicide because once in oblivion you can feel no sense of peace.

Note: the purpose of this post was to clarify logic extrapolated from the nihilistic perspective that all values are subjective rather than objective and to explain that even under nihilistic philosophy suicide is still foolish irrational and illogical.
  • I have noticed that a lot of members who have stated that they are Buddhists, have said that they do not believe in the concept of rebirth.
    I have to say, Zidangus that I am totally bewildered that Buddhists go around claiming that the Buddha did not teach rebirth and that the experience of existence ends with this one lifetime (nihilism). In the suttas the Buddha talks about rebirth and even lets his followers know what plane of existence certain monks have appeared in after their death. Rebirth is mentioned many times in the suttas and it isn't just some ceasing of the mental activities in this lifetime and it is described as happening "after the breakup of the body". In fact, nihilism, together with eternalism (the belief that a soul migrates from one lifetime to another as in the Brahminic/Hindu concept of reincarnation), are recorded in the suttas as being wrong view. There is an article on this here: http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/whatbudbeliev/111.htm

This sort of wrong view is being perpetuated in a number of Buddhist forums with no basis whatsoever. In fact, when you talk to accomplished monks, ones that can attain jhana, there is no question of whether rebirth occurs and they talk about it openly. They don't relate their own past lives, however, they do say it's possible to recall past lives and have taught people how to do this. Being able to attain the jhanas is required, however, so it's not a trivial matter that anyone can just do easily.

• aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited December 2010
    hmm i had no idea! everything i had learned told me nothing was carried over between lives, including memories. I'm pretty sure that is commonly stated. But can that be transcended in Jhanic meditation? I didn't know
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    How can anything be carried over from past lives? Like memories or anything? Bah, I give up. Doesn't make sense.
  • How can anything be carried over from past lives? Like memories or anything? Bah, I give up. Doesn't make sense.
    It doesn't, does it. Free your mind!;)
  • >>>"Vangelis">>>>> I am totally bewildered that Buddhists go around claiming that the Buddha did not teach rebirth

It is a hard thing to grasp, I agree. Especially when we all want to belive in an afterlife, it is the most signifigant of spiritual beliefs.

None of us want to die.
    None of us want death to be the end.

And so we cling and build bastions around these beliefs.

That is the personal side of why you find it so hard.

But there is another side, and this is the cultural/political/economic/social side. Namely, the greatest, easiest way to homogenise populations, to control people en mass, is to make them believe that if they compromise their life in this life they will get benefit in some future life.

We want to believe in an afterlife.
    Culture want's us to believe in an afterlife.

>>>and that the experience of existence ends with this one lifetime (nihilism).

I think if you think this you don't understand the "middle" part of the middle path.

Nihilism is not the belief in one life, it is the belief that there is no value. The buddha showed this is wrong, there are values, they arise from the three foundations and are realised in experince by sukka.

>>>>>In the suttas the Buddha talks about rebirth

A trio of points on this claim:

1) Rebirth is very rare as a concept in the suttras, especially the one's generally cited as predominate, like the first sermon.

2) Rebirth doesn't have a role in the four noble truths or the noble eightfold path.

3) On the hypothesis that Buddha's teachings were influenced by the hindu culture after his death it should be expected that rebirth will augment the teahcings. The solution to this is given in the Kalama Suttra.

>>>This sort of wrong view is being perpetuated in a number of Buddhist forums with no basis whatsoever.

I disagree. I think there is a huge basis for this view, scriptural, spiritual, dharmic, historic and philosophical. Private Message me if you would like to discuss this, I am done discussing it in public as it only leads to strife for all:)

>>>>>In fact, when you talk to accomplished monks, ones that can attain jhana, there is no question of whether rebirth occurs and they talk about it openly.

I have done this, in person, the answers I had were one of the turning points in my belief on this issue. Even were this not the case, I believe I should not go "by the thought, 'This monk is our teacher....'" (Kalama Suttra).

>>>>They don't relate their own past lives, however, they do say it's possible to recall past lives and have taught people how to do this.

And Christians experience the holy spirit, and shamans the spirits of the jaguar, and spiritualists the spirit of Uncle Albert... what makes the Buddhist right and these others wrong?