Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Perception: Meditation = Weird, Weak-Minded?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today

How do people respond when they find out you meditate?

Do they think you're a New Age nutcase? Do they think you're on the brink of a nervous breakdown? Do they think it's just a time-wasting hobby?

In your response, be sure to indicate the contexts, such as whether or not you tell then you are Buddhist (very important!), and also what your relationship was to these people.

Comments

• In my experience, I've never met anyone who has looked down upon me for meditating. At least they never seemed to. I usually get a response like, "oh gosh I could never do that!" As far as saying I'm Buddhist...I often times talk about Buddhism, but I don't really consider myself a Buddhist so that particular doesn't come up. Relationship to people...I've told doctors, my friends, my family, coworkers, random people on the internet. From my experience, it's all good. Meditation has so many well documented benefits now-a-days, it's really not that weird.
  • If people think I'm weird for meditating, they're too polite to say so. It's my devotion to Perl and homeopathy that makes them shake their head.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The vast majority of my friends love it and want to learn. In fact I was able to teach two of my friends to meditate, both of them said that they felt very relaxed and wanted to incorporate it into their daily lives. If we approach it coming from a scientific POV a lot of people get really into it, it isn't so mystical anymore because it does have tangible results.
  • How would anyone find out? No one ever asks. But plenty of MDx recommend meditation, for health reasons. It's not "New Age" anymore. It's been proven scientifically to have positive health results.
  • I stayed in the "closet" so to speak in regards to my meditation and spiritual development from age 13-23... I'm still wary in declaring anything other than I meditate.

But, even still... The only times I declare anything is when someone actually notices my mala (which is usually tucked in my shirt). Then I tell them it's just a Buddhist rosary. I have no reason to hide it, and I have no reason to declare it :)
  • edited December 2010
    It's not unusual for people to wear malas simply as jewelry.

I don't think it's a matter of being "in the closet" with one's Buddhist beliefs. In my experience, people simply don't talk about their religion. Unless they're "born again" or something. It's a personal matter, and just doesn't come up in day-to-day conversation. Unless you're living in the Bible Belt, I suppose. Plenty of people simply aren't religious, and so aren't interested in others' beliefs.