Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you think if there any common ground between Buddhism and Psychiatry?

2»

Comments

• Yes its like giving someone with an infection a dharma talk instead of an antibiotic!
    yo don't understand pratitya-samutpada... if you follow the biologistic view of citta (mind).
  • Vincenzi is completely out to lunch on this. There is no argument about it. My experience includes plenty of psychiatric treatment and medication for myself, my family and my close friends and their families. Most people know that it is skillful to obtain whatever help is available when you or your loved ones are sick physically or mentally. When my daughter was hospitalized for anorexia, talking about the dharma was pretty far down on the list of treatments. Later on however part of her therapy included basic meditation and mindfulness practice.
    don't jump to conclusions. "out of lunch"... most common italian mudra (2 hands : fingers joined ; saying something like "di che cosa stai parlando" / what are you talking about?) and... will not publish any more information on how i get my information on psychiatry; because i have (and respect other's) privacy.
  • coments in "//"
    federica, what makes you certain that i don't have first hand experience with psychiatry?
    What makes me think you don't? (What makes you think I don't?)Your total and absolute complete ignorance on the subject. As the above posters have confirmed.
    Are you a qualified psychiatrist? Do you have any medical experience involving the study of psychiatry?

// for privacy (and security), 'will not answer this.
    and, psychiatry is not a science not part of medicine. the methods used don't follow the hipocratic oath.
    neither does Chiropractic or Homeopathy (both recognised forms of treatment in the IK) so what's your point?

// psychiatry is a hostis umanis generis (do i have to translate that too? i read it in english... or italian, don't remember)
    "no one shuts me up" from "deviantArt.it"
    I think you'll find I can. So I'd advise you to reconsider your posirtion.
    You keep posting aggressively and trolling, and I'm personally giving you final warning.

// posirtion? oh... moderators... maybe if i "translate" (or paraphrase) what i'm saying you will realize i'm not trolling. freedom of speech. you can silence me here, but not elsewhere. and, as i said before... in this thread, 'will not disclose more private information.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Freedom of speech.
    I am glad you mentioned that.
    Freedom of speech is not the same of freedom from responsibility.
    Sure, you can say whatever you want, go ahead.
    But if it gets you banned - then you will know how irresponsible you were.
  • Vincenzi- if you are unwilling to talk about your experiences with psychiatry and medication for mental illness, you should not be surprised when people take you to task for making a statement like "drugs, torture this is the methods of psychiatry". This view should be kept to yourself unless it is backed up by some example from your life. My own experience of being a psychiatric patient did not include torture. Any pain that I felt I had been living with already.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited January 2011
    habeas corpus (freedom of movement)... at the very least, psychiatry doesn't respect that.
    has someone read the declaration of human rights? psychiatry doesn't respect that.
    samañaphala sutra (discourse on the fruits of the contemplative life), arupa jhåna samåhdi (inmaterial absorption meditation), anågami (non-returner), psychiatry called that "mental disorders".

and now... newbuddhist is the new e-sangha.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Now that - is funny!! :lol::lol:

were you banned on there?
  • Vincenzi will get banned and come back with a new name still speaking all sanskrit :D
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    stop saying all of my posts are ignorant. You aren't even responding to them. i'm not angry at all, your insulting me in another repeatedly, you seem to be the angry one.

Vincenzi, you still haven't answered my question, or any of my post for that matter. how do you deal with a schizophrenic without treating them? last time they tried talking to them it was in ancient times and it usually ended with an exorcism. Science has come a long way, please explain to me what you can do without medication for people with significant mental disorder.

your argument is that I'm ignorant, and that in your anonymous mental disorder you were healed purely with buddhism. I have no way of verifying this, but even if i did, there are neural diseases where people can't even speak, your argument is ridiculous and I think you know it.

hahahaha i saw your last post - freedom of movement lol. my freedom of movement stops when i drive to your house and move my hand into your face. But even besides that issue, people with mental disorders suffer often. Schizophrenics would suffer tremendously without medication. It doesn't take their freedom away, it gives them freedom. Go ask one.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    "It doesn't take their freedom away, it gives them freedom. Go ask one."

As a schizoaffective person I give that an AMEN brother or sister
  • brother
  • Thanks friends, i m learning so many thing from your discussions.
  • (...)

your argument is that I'm ignorant, and that in your anonymous mental disorder you were healed purely with buddhism. I have no way of verifying this, but even if i did, there are neural diseases where people can't even speak, your argument is ridiculous and I think you know it.
    (...)
    ignorance from my personal experiences (do i have to clarify each, and every step?!). neural diseases are cured by neurobiology, i was speaking of psychiatry hocus pocus.
  • well how about you read the testimony of the schizophrenic about medication?
  • (...)
    hahahaha i saw your last post - freedom of movement lol. my freedom of movement stops when i drive to your house and move my hand into your face. But even besides that issue, people with mental disorders suffer often. Schizophrenics would suffer tremendously without medication. It doesn't take their freedom away, it gives them freedom. Go ask one.
    i was diagnosed as one, you samsåraputra (note : this term is not an insult, and i have already translated many times)... in part because some practices of the Dharma are considered "hallucinations" (arupa jhånas i guess). i will prove psychiatry wrong... samsåraputra "happy" nihilist.

congratulations, you make me disclose more personal information. happy but angered nihilist.
  • nope I'm not angry, just talking. I can't really prove that to you and I don't really care whether or not I do
    I really think we're done here. This has gotten beyond quarrelsome.
This discussion has been closed.