Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does buddha say about forgiveness?

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
a few years ago I made a really bad mistake and I told my parents and they forgave me even though it was really really bad but I cant seem to forgive myself. Can anyone tell me how I can forgive myself so I can move on with my life?

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Yes, stop trying so hard and meditate every day, even for just a few minutes. Meditation helps us to realize that our thoughts and feelings about ourselves don't need to drive or define us, that we can release them and move on.
  • edited November 2005
    a few years ago I made a really bad mistake and I told my parents and they forgave me even though it was really really bad but I cant seem to forgive myself. Can anyone tell me how I can forgive myself so I can move on with my life?

Well, not being able to forgive yourself is a good example of a harmful attachment. Take a good look at the results of the action - good and bad. Ask yourself if there is anything further you can do to better the bad stuff and appreciate whatever good came of your mistake even if it is just a lesson learned. Also take inventory of the results of your current problem. How is not forgiving yourself harmful to yourself and others? Is there anything good coming of it? I guarantee the harm is outweighing the good and your energies would be better served helping yourself and others. Remember that. It's easier to forgive yourself when you don't see it as selfish.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Your parents have.

I have (even though I never held this mistake against you).

Why can't you forgive yourself? Is there something to actually forgive? Is it an act that you regret you had done? That you don't like remembering? Is there a step you can take to repair what damage you might have done?

I believe like DK said, not being able to forgive yourself is a good example of harmful attachment. Right now, you are not the person that made that mistake, Buddhistically speaking - you have changed. Even if you were to repeat the same mistake over again - it would be a different person making this mistake. You've changed - you've grown - new experiences and changes have wrought changes within you.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Yes, stop trying so hard and meditate every day, even for just a few minutes. Meditation helps us to realize that our thoughts and feelings about ourselves don't need to drive or define us, that we can release them and move on.
    I like that. Very interesting.