Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do I know if I'm making progress?

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I've been meditating for 4 or 5 months. Because of my location, age and inability to drive,I don't have a sanga or a teacher. I know I'm not going anywhere. (Great book. Being Nobody Going Nowhere) But should my experience of meditation be deepening? What would that feel like/ look like?

I find that I believe all the basic Buddhist doctrines. I don't know when that happened. So I guess that's progress.

Comments

• the more deeply you internalize the buddhist doctrines the more progress you will make. it's like getting used to the movement on a boat, at first you have to really think about it but as you slowly get used to what your standing on and the movement it becomes second nature. suffering ends when the futility of craving, impermanence, anatta etc. becomes second nature.

"Lord, is it true what has been said, that good spiritual friends are fully half of the holy life?"
    The Master replied, "No, Ananda, good spiritual friends are the whole of the holy life. Find refuge in the sangha community."
  • edited January 2011
    Practicing it on a daily basis is progress. Why? Because time is progress. :D Sure, someday you might have a revelation and say, "Oh wow! This is really working!" It's very nice but that's not your reward, that's not really why you do it. Would be nice to have a teacher and sangha; eventually that should happen.

IMO? If you are DEcreasing negative thinking and increasing happiness (even a little bit) you are making good progress.
  • Where are you with your meditation experience? For some people, it can take a lot longer than just a few months to succeed in just quieting the mind consistently. And I think the experience is different for everyone. Best not to expect too much too soon, but just be patient, and work on maintaining uninterrupted focus on the breath for a full 20 minutes.
  • I'm able to quiet my mind sufficiently so that I have periods of a minute or 2 with no thoughts intruding. Of course, some sessions are better than others. But when it's going well, I'm happy and peaceful.

I often don't get enough sleep. When that happens, I begin to fall asleep during sitting meditation. So I do walking.
  • I had the same question and my lama said the way forward was to just notice those questions as thinking. Pondering. But that what was more interesting was what my experience in the present was. Rather than if it had progressed. The right touch is to get curious about the experience you are having. Theres a tendency to disempower yourself if you are wondering about if it is the right or wrong experience. It is the right one! Because it is the one your having and my teacher says it has all the seeds you need. Not to say you shouldn't study teachings off the cushion. And seek information.
  • I do a lot of studying, perhaps too much.

I like what you said. Mindfulness of the present moment.

My weak area is lovingkindness. But I'm not stressing over it. I'm just telling myself it will come with effort and persistence. And I consider most anything as significant. Today I came to a community center. Someone had left an empty coffee cup on a table, and I put it in the trash. I notice that I'm making the area more pleasant for others.
  • Yes don't hold yourself up to the standard of the buddha or others in general. Comparison is always a bummer and can be cut by seeing that truth is relative. Such as the truth "they are better" "what they have is better" "what I am doing is not good enough". All of that is just thoughts. Bowing to a statue of the buddha is even lovingkindness. Setting aside time for study and dharma is the most loving kindness of all because you are learning and one day you will benefit beings very greatly!