Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

anyone play chess?

aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
i've recently started playing online chess, it's fun, but even better it is a great tool to help your concentration and ability to "control" your mind. Chess.com, check it out.

Comments

• Thanks! I haven't played in awhile.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I'll play you.
  • ok Mindgate, have a Chess.com account?
    Just made one. MindGate.
  • prepared to be challenged.
  • your not online?
    I am... whats your account name?
  • your not on list of members?
  • "justsomechess"
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    hmm, maybe we aren't high enough rank to show up

we could keep searching and quitting games until we found each other search 15 minute game on the find game thing, i'll make one and quit till i find you
    Sent a challenge.
  • wow you know how to use this site better than me and i've used it for a month :o
  • i accepted challenge.
  • this is laggier than live chess though.
    Add me as a friend so we can play live chess...
  • good games
  • taking all challenges :O
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Ever play Go? Chess is for chumps! ;)
  • I do! I am not very good:/ Been playing for years onloine on itsyourturn but recently moved to chess with freinds on the iphone:)

If anyone wants a game on there drop me a pm.

Go I have played too, much harder to play i reckon.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Go will probably make even a seasoned chess player feel dumb.

There's a decent program by the name of GoKnot (which is open source if anyone is worried about price or piracy) if anyone would like to test their wits.

Some useless trivia: the word for chess in French is echecs (with an acute accent on the first e as ATT in a great decision of entrepreneurship apparently isn't inclined to accents found even in Spanish) which is the plural of echec meaning failure or defeat.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    Anyone want to play my account is BattleRager
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    I can't find you in the members list MindGate...
  • I play at www.chess.com

same nickname.

so if u wanna play...send me a message/challange me
  • Can you buy 'go' as a board game?
  • i prefer wesnoth.org
    ...if it is on the cloud (net).

but i do play chess, and have the vincenz'ian start...
  • alright I'm justsomechess on Chess.com i'll challenge you guys who said your username.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I don't really know all that much about playing chess, but I signed up (username: Anysbryd) and played a game against the computer last night. Suffice it say that I didn't win. :D
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Played a couple of more games today. Did better the third time around, but still lost.
  • Ah..., yes. I sure miss playing it. Was addicted in college.

FWIW, Here're my favorite artist's comments on chess:

“The chess pieces are the block alphabet which shapes thoughts; and these thoughts, although making a visual design on the chess-board, express their beauty abstractly, like a poem... I have come to the personal conclusion that while all artists are not chess players, all chess players are artists.”

“I am still a victim of chess. It has all the beauty of art -- and much more. It cannot be commercialized. Chess is much purer than art in its social position.”

"All this twaddle, the existence of God, atheism, determinism, liberation, societies, death, etc., are pieces of a chess game called language, and they are amusing only if one does not preoccupy oneself with 'winning or losing' this game of chess."

— Marcel Duchamp
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    play me roger, make a chess.com account.

by the way, use live chess, not online chess. online chess is really slow you make like one move a day. live chess is like.. actually playing chess
  • edited January 2011
    play me roger, make a chess.com account.

You are very kind aHN, but no thank you. :) I played a long time ago. I suspect my brain is now shot AND de-chess-ified memory-wise. I especially don't want any conclusive evidence of the former. :D

• ok ok if you ever get the desire then just make an account and challenge me on live chess, i'm justsomechess
  • did you have a FIDE ranking or something like it?