Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have A Cup Of Tea

Have a Cup of Tea

One time long ago in China there was a white-haired priest famous for his greeting. As students would arrive for Zazen he would say to them, “Have a cup of tea.” When an old monk would come to his room, the greeting would be the same. Often strangers would stroll by the temple gate, and after asking them to come in and seating them on tatami near the Buddha, he would have a cup of tea with them. Eventually his young assistant grew weary of the repetition of “Have a cup of tea” night and day, and so said to the priest: “Why do you have to keep repeating the same thing over and over again?” Looking into the young man’s eyes the old priest replied: “Have a cup of tea.”

Zen monks are unique people—fanciful and bizarre, spontaneous action comes naturally to them. They are full of whimsy and surprise. Though conventional people consider them eccentric and strange, they sail on though, oblivious to the world’s opinions and judgments, like ships keeping an even keel on high seas. I am one of these strange monks; I too like to say, “Have a cup of tea.”

Once you have lifted your cup, turn it twice and bow. Something happens in the taking of tea that is more than tea and more than politeness. Two can turn to one and the taste be filled with wonder.

One day at dusk an American tourist dropped some coins into a box at the entrance to a Japanese Buddhist shrine. After pulling the cord, to which a bell was attached, she bowed before the Buddha. A priest came out from the shadows and, bowing in turn, beckoned to her. As she went toward him he said, “This is the first time I have ever seen a tourist bow. Won’t you come in and have a cup of tea?” They sat together on tatami behind the huge bronze Buddha. He lit some incense and a candle, and placing them on a low table close by, began to talk. He had been to America ten years before. He wondered how life was there now. With television and highways, all of that speed and power, he wondered what effect such things were having on the individual citizen. Speaking with affection of Whitman, Thoreau and James, remarking how Zen they were, he said: “American youth will learn from them.” Then in silence he whisked the tea—young leaves from old trees grown in the shade, old leaves from young trees grown in the sun. The sun had gone down; dark shadows moved across the paper door. As his guest prepared to leave, he placed a bundle in the palm of her hand. Prayer beads. His own. “These beads are old. I am old. Please take them to America and keep them near you.” She looked up at him and bowed.

Yes, it is the taste that matters—the flavor of the moment, of people and places. When I make a cup of tea for a guest, I become a servant; when my guest receives the cup with naturalness and ease, he becomes the host. This is the taste of tea and the essence of ceremony.

Most Zen monks are indifferent to formal skills, styles and techniques. They prefer to improvise, in accordance with place, mood and people. Once a friend of mine—a monk from another temple—took five Zen students to the country, where they walked in the woods, rode bicycles, swam and danced in the moonlight. When the air became chilly and darkness descended, they lit lanterns and retired to a rustic shelter. In a cluster of pines, facing a walled—in garden, they picnicked around a low wooden table next to a burning stove. When the water began to boil it sounded like a soft breeze coming though a pine forest. The night was shadowy and still. My friend the priest turned to his hostess and asked her to bring him the largest bowl she had. She went to the kitchen and returned with a vegetable dish made of clay in the shape of a giant cup. Sitting at the head of the table, my friend looked out into the night, smiled a quiet smile to the guests—most of whom had been trained in ceremonial tea; one was even a teacher from Tokyo—and bowed. “I will now present a most presumptuous bowl of tea,” he said. With precise gestures and a gentle elegance he folded paper napkins and placed one in front of each person. The student next to him picked up her sandwich, breaking the bread into small pieces which she passed around the table. With a simple but courtly grace the priest picked up a tin spoon and scooped out seven portions of powdered green tea. Then he poured boiling water into the bowl, whisked it until a jade-green froth appeared on the surface. He turned the bowl twice, putting the most beautiful side away from himself and toward his guests—some of whom were old, some young, some Eastern, some Western, some Jewish, some Buddhist and some Christian. Each in his turn took the bread and ate. Each one drank from the same cup. Then the priest began to chant, the soft tones of his voice flowing through the very blood streams of the assembled guests. At that moment, everybody was nobody. Like the table. Like the bowl and sky. A sip of Zen. A sip of tea. Or was it wine and a wafer?

Nyogen Senzaki was the first great Zen master to live and teach in the United States. Trained in both the Zen and Shingon traditions, he worked at mostly menial jobs for the first 17 years after his arrival in 1905, giving occasional Zen talks when he could afford to hire a hall. In 1931, he established the Mentorgarden Zendo in Los Angeles; from 1942-1945 he was interned as an enemy alien. Nyogen Senzaki died in 1958. These talks and poems are from Namu Dai Bosa: A Transmission of Zen Buddhism in America, by Nyogen Senzaki, Soen Nakagawa and Eido Shimano. ©1976 by The Zen Studies Society.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    There's that wonderful story about the Monk who's enteretaining someone who's come for instruction and counsel, but is already so full of himself that, when the monk pours him a cup of tea, tjhe tea just flows and flows.... The astonished guest tries to stop the Monk, but he merely replies, 'My friend, this cup is like you.... already so full of what you believe you know, that anything else is just superfluous.....
    I've always tried to remember that lesson for myself.....:)
  • edited November 2005
    The full story, for those who might not be familiar with it, is about the encounter between a Zen teacher and someone who's largely only read about Buddhism, in fact an academic, who came to see Master Nan-In, a Zen teacher who died in 1912.

The visitor was full of ideas about what Buddhism was and couldn't see that his ideas were just that and not Buddhism. He somehow thought that Buddhism and Zen practice was something that you made up as you go along. Nan-in responded directly and compassionately to the state of mind of the visiting professor, refusing to indulge his speculations about what Buddhism was.

Nan-in served Tea. He poured until his visitor's cup was full, and then kept right on pouring. The professor watched the tea cup fill and then begin to overflow, until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

:winkc:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I don't think any of us should - or could - exclude ourselves from the lesson, Reverend.... ;)
    For my part, my process is embryonic but sincere.... and each time I am confronted by a new Truth, the process of throwing out the dregs and beginning again, means many trips to the loo to get rid of that which frankly I can do without....
    the allegories are endless - !! :lol: :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    Glad to hear it. In the meantime, I'll keep pouring. :tongue2:
    edited November 2005
    ....And drinking, I trust......?
  • edited November 2005
    I like, as much as it can be done, to do one thing at a time, with complete attention, whether pouring or drinking. In reality, and this is one reason why the tea ceremony came about - the whole process of taking tea, especially if done as an aspect of practice, involves the realisation that there is fundamentally no seperation between preparing, pouring and drinking. Just as there is no seperation between host and guest in the tea ceremony.

Have a cup of tea. :lol:
    edited November 2005
    Cheers and bottoms up!;)
  • edited March 2006
    How wonderful the tea stories are. Thank you for sharing.

Peace
  • edited March 2006
    You're most welcome Iambeatle.
  • edited March 2006
    The tea is refreshing. Thank you.

May I have more? :)
    edited March 2006
    The tea is never-ending.... the flavour refreshing, the heat just right...

(But you'll always find one who wants sugar with it....!! ;) )
  • edited March 2006
    And cake ..... you should always share your home made cake out with the tea .... there's no point making a cake if you don't share it.
  • edited March 2006
    Exactly so.