Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation with ear-plugs.

edited January 2011 in Meditation
Dear friends,
How are you? I wish you all a very "Happy New Year"!

I was wondering if it's possible to meditate while wearing ear-plugs. The fact is that, there is too much noise
when I meditate, and this makes it hard for me to concentrate!!! Would it be better, in your experience, to use ear-plugs? Please help as I'm loosing my grip on meditation because of this problem.

Thank you all!!!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm sorry, what did you say? :D

Blocking out sound is a resistance and aversion.
    meditate on the sound.
    Let it come to you, don't fight it, and instead, pick it to pieces... discern every single different note making up that sound. Let it be an aid to meditation, not a hindrance.

I have constant tinnitus in my ears. I am never in complete silence, ever.
    Ever.
    Occasionally, it is extremely intrusive, but I've learnt to live with it, and use it to my advantage.
  • I'm sorry, what did you say? :D

Blocking out sound is a resistance and aversion.
    meditate on the sound.
    Let it come to you, don't fight it, and instead, pick it to pieces... discern every single different note making up that sound. Let it be an aid to meditation, not a hindrance.

I have constant tinnitus in my ears. I am never in complete silence, ever.
    Ever.
    Occasionally, it is extremely intrusive, but I've learnt to live with it, and use it to my advantage.
    Dont't you think that outside noise can inder you meditation session, and only get annoyed and just stop meditating?

• I am with federica on this one. In reality, it's very rare even for monasteries to be in quiet surroundings. If you only learn to meditate without noise, you won't be able to meditate in realistic situations. Tibetan lamas can meditate despite cymbals, loud noises and having their feet plunged into cold water, unlike Western mediators. So yeah, sound isn't anything to avoid.
  • I try to surround myself with as many distractions as I can... When I go to a retreat center to truly study, it'll seem so easy compared to meditation with TV, loud neighbors and roommates, barking dogs, etc etc.

Gets easier and easier to "tune out" the background noises and distractions, while still being aware of them...

• Ewww... I disagree with the posters hear (hear... get it? ;) )

Find as distraction-free of an environment as you can. There is more than enough "noise" going on in your own mind to keep your practice busy. Ultimately, it is the noise in your mind that is more important to be mindful of, rather than the random noises in the environment! So silence the external noise so you can listen to the internal ones.

The practice of being mindful of external distractions has its uses, but the principle of diminishing marginal benefits apply in a greater way.

Besides, you will have plenty of time to be mindful in a noisy environment in your normal, non-meditating life.

Using earplugs or ear muffs (like the ones used at gun ranges) was a standard part of my practice when I lived with other people. The downside of ear plugs is that you will hear your heart and breath more, which you may not like. Neither ear plugs nor ear muffs work that great against loud talking, though. If you want extra silence, use both plugs and muffs simultaneously.

• Ewww... I disagree with the posters hear (hear... get it? ;) )

Find as distraction-free of an environment as you can. There is more than enough "noise" going on in your own mind to keep your practice busy. Ultimately, it is the noise in your mind that is more important to be mindful of, rather than the random noises in the environment! So silence the external noise so you can listen to the internal ones.

The practice of being mindful of external distractions has its uses, but the principle of diminishing marginal benefits apply in a greater way.

Besides, you will have plenty of time to be mindful in a noisy environment in your normal, non-meditating life.

Using earplugs or ear muffs (like the ones used at gun ranges) was a standard part of my practice when I lived with other people. The downside of ear plugs is that you will hear your heart and breath more, which you may not like. Neither ear plugs nor ear muffs work that great against loud talking, though. If you want extra silence, use both plugs and muffs simultaneously.
    Heresy!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I personally only use earplugs when the neighbours are fighting.. I can be gentle to all kinds of sounds, but this particular one is still a bit too hard. :p

Because of this topic, next time I will not use them and sent my neighbours some loving kindness instead. :crazy: < is a funny guy
  • The sutras tell us to retreat to a quiet place to meditate. If the only quiet place you can find is between 2 ear plugs, I say sit there.
  • Hi Neko_74,

Posters on both sides of the issue are correct imo. While it is healthy to have a routine and non-distracting place to meditate (particularly for those who have a hard time with distractions), it is also true that distractions can offer us a good opportunity to practice.

If the noise is so distracting as to cause you to consider no longer meditating, then I strongly suggest you find an alternate location for your regular meditation practice. This could be: a Buddhist center, a general meditation center, a library, an isolated nature preserve, a good friend's quieter apartment/home, anything that is at least a significant improvement. Earplugs could work too, try it. But if you're focusing on how annoying the sound of your heartbeat is, or are still hearing some noise and getting annoyed by that, then better imo to find a better location. Once you have this security, you will then be better able to also practice meditating amidst the distractions you've mentioned, as well as any other distractions we can easily find throughout the day.

Yes, I said security. There is of course no security, other than perhaps the ground of being. But having a routine and secure setting is necessary and productive for someone who has that much difficulty meditating amidst distractions. In time, perhaps you will outgrow the need for such security and be able to meditate amidst even a hurricane. But for now, I think it is certainly necessary for you to have this.
  • edited January 2011
    My 2 cents? (can I write a check?) Breathing is very impt in meditation at least for us beginners.

Attention to breathing is a form of biofeedback - helps the meditation process (?). Hearing protection (those big "headphones") makes me more aware of my breathing AND **heart**beat** when I wear them so I'm thinking, biofeedback-wise, that's a good thing. :confused:

Just like training wheels on a bike maybe? Eventually I'd get good enough at it where I wouldn't need such equipment. :)
  • edited January 2011
    I personally only use earplugs when the neighbours are fighting.. I can be gentle to all kinds of sounds, but this particular one is still a bit too hard. :p

LOL. :D:D:D WOW! That's a good excuse to watch "Jerry Springer!" Is it still on TV?!

Test your meditation abilities while turning it on in the background. ;)