Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

whats the buddhist take on tattoo's?

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
sorry if this has previously been posted but out of sheer curiousity i've looking for opinons! I was channel hopping and came across this tattoo programme which is my favourite (i've wanted a tattoo for years now!!) to watch but in the programme this man walks in and has a thai buddhist tattoo done on the back of his leg. Is that not disrespectful?

Is it even allowed in buddhism?

Comments

• Which precept would it break? Disrespectful to who? I don't think there's any problem at all, though I personally don't feel the need for a tattoo.
  • I guess it depends on the tattoo. :D
  • Or just check out the Buddhist tattoos of many of the newbuddhist members here: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/3131/buddhist-tattoos/p1
  • it was the face of a Thai Buddha surrounded by Flowers. I normally notice say a lotus or a knot but thought that the buddha face was an odd choice.
  • I have a small tattoo on my chest, gothic letters about 4 cm high each. The one is next to the other, but a bit lower. They represent my girlfriend and I.
    But I warn you - once you get a tattoo you'll want more ;)

Allowed? There are no rules you know. Against any teaching? Not any I know of :)
  • edited January 2011
    I'd look into ego-attachment.

Over here everybody's trying to personalize and individuate with tattoos; how does that reinforce the illusion of the ego?

It can be like getting breast implants, wearing Polo shirts, or Dockers pants, or buying a Porsche? To a large part people get them in an effort to attract people of similar ___preferences___, right?

Buddhism is not about superficial individual preferences; many preferences are based more or less on faulty assumptions and willful ignorance.

Of course some cultures have tattooing as an integral aspect of their value systems and culture and they are not based on superficialities and mere embellishments like our western culture seems to be.

PLEASE PLEASE understand I don't necessarily believe what I wrote above (I have nothing against tattoos, b-implants, fancy cars). I'm just trying to create a basis for a plausible counter argument.

Like people said above: the Buddhist argument FOR tattooing would be: if doesn't hurt anybody (hahaha they DO hurt) and it makes you happy: go for it.
  • buddhism doesn't really get offended. this is partly because its members actually practice what they preach and partly because it's so founded in rationality and relies on nothing irrational and so doesn't have the constant need to prove issues of irrational faith.
  • Buddhism is super emptiness of loving kindness. Unlike mundane perception that may despise and discriminate people even with a little scar on its body :sawed: