Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's the point of having emotions?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
We don't necessarily need them to survive do we? I can see how we're survival machines, but emotions seem to be unnecessary. Your thoughts?

Comments

• aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Emotions are just ways of motivating us. Just like any feeling. When human beings (and other intelligent animals) gained the ability to think at a higher level the intelligence came with the downside of being able to act contrary to our survival. Feelings motivate us to act in ways that help our survival.

For example anger motivates you to focus on destroying things you perceive as threats just as hunger motivates you to eat when your body needs nourishment.

The issue with these feelings is that although following them leads to short term satisfaction they will have consequences beyond the momentary. it might feel good for a few moments to get revenge and satisfy your anger but you will likely suffer for it later.
  • Because i'm aliiiiiiiive
  • edited January 2011
    There is this inherent emotion of loving kindness, benevolence and serenity :rarr:
  • edited January 2011
    We don't necessarily need them to survive do we? I can see how we're survival machines, but emotions seem to be unnecessary. Your thoughts?
    They essential for the arts, music and literature, otherwise, for example, I'd probably scrap the Mozart, Bach and Beethoven I have. It would make no sense to listen to it. Would it? I dunno.

:rocker:

BTW, some emotions have names, most of them don't and can't even be described: only experienced. They're just a given. I'll take 'em. Besides getting me conceived, emotions probably built Stonehenge and the Pyramids, BTW.

• Emotions, as said above, move us. Which direction would you like to go? Towards a safe direction, a place of refuge? Or round and round again?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Of course we need them to survive! Emotions help us bond with each other, so we can cooperate to help each other survive, and so we can raise those pesky, demanding creatures called "children", so the human race won't die out. Emotions are what make us human. Emotions are what inspire us.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Gotta agree with da Dakini

If human beings & animals did not have emotions (such as lust), they would not reproduce. Further, if human beings & animals did not have emotions (such as love), they would not look after their children.

IMO, the point of emotions are for them to be refined, from lust, to love, to compassion.

Kind regards

DD

:)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2011
    To have the desire to run away from the tiger stalking you in the jungle. Natural selection filtered out people who did not have these feelings a long time ago. :)
  • People are underestimating the value of emotions? Art? Children?

Emotions are a way to make decisions, just like thoughts.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If you didn't have Emotions, you would have no Motivation.
    They are closely connected, and not only through process, but also etymologically. They both come from the Latin root 'Emovere' which means to put outwards, to propel externally.
  • True. They do motivate you. I feel very apathetic and lazy, in these states there are hardly any emotions. Therefore I don't do anything.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Friend: you have a problem then..... :skeptic:
  • I feel like Buddhism places a lot of emphasis in dulling your emotions. Not too happy not too sad. Stay the middle path and don't get attached. If you really want to follow the path give up all attachments. Give up your possessions your family stop having sex. Sleep in a jail cell, think of one thing all day. don't consider the idea that your bored because that would cause suffering. Isn't suffering a emotion? Sounds like were trying to do away with that one. I'm pretty sure this thread was created because of these very conflicting views. For a bunch of Buddhist you all seem to really love your emotions. Shouldn't we all be concentrating on our breath right now instead of discussing this? A Buddhist forum seems like a oxymoron. It is helping to create a self identity. My connection with my ego is larger. Why? Look I am expressing Myself to the world. I am important. I have ideas. People want to read them. I have lots of emotions and I am never going to detach from them cause they keep me alive. The title of this thread should be, Is there a point in having emotions while trying to attain Nirvana?
    I feel like Buddhism places a lot of emphasis in dulling your emotions.
    Incorrect. It places a lot of emphasis of not holding on to emotions. Nowhere does it say you have to dull them, or not have them at all.
    Not too happy not too sad. Stay the middle path and don't get attached. If you really want to follow the path give up all attachments. Give up your possessions your family stop having sex. Sleep in a jail cell, think of one thing all day. don't consider the idea that your bored because that would cause suffering.
    Wow, where to start?/
    You have some pretty messed-up perceptions. That's where I'll start....
    The above is so wrong, it's hard to know what to address first....!
    Isn't suffering a emotion?
    No, it's a condition.
    Sounds like were trying to do away with that one. I'm pretty sure this thread was created because of these very conflicting views. For a bunch of Buddhist you all seem to really love your emotions.
    Sure, don't fight them - embrace them!
    Shouldn't we all be concentrating on our breath right now instead of discussing this? A Buddhist forum seems like a oxymoron. It is helping to create a self identity. My connection with my ego is larger. Why? Look I am expressing Myself to the world. I am important. I have ideas. People want to read them. I have lots of emotions and I am never going to detach from them cause they keep me alive. The title of this thread should be, Is there a point in having emotions while trying to attain Nirvana?
    This forum is also a Sangha to many. In the absence of a real, convenient or local sangha, many come here for community discussion. Simply because we're Buddhists, it doesn't mean we have to detach from everything, particularly if it is a useful attachment....
    There is every conceivable point in having emotions. It's what keeps the wheel-turning real....

• HHDL says to experience your emotions at appropriate times, such as during times of loss, happiness, etc. Experience them, then let them pass naturally. I've read that some teachers use Dzogchen and other methods to stifle or eliminate the emotions, but this is wrong view. It's a good way to create sociopaths, if you ask me--eliminating the emotions.
  • I feel like Buddhism places a lot of emphasis in dulling your emotions. Not too happy not too sad. Stay the middle path and don't get attached. If you really want to follow the path give up all attachments. Give up your possessions your family stop having sex. Sleep in a jail cell, think of one thing all day. don't consider the idea that your bored because that would cause suffering. Isn't suffering a emotion? Sounds like were trying to do away with that one. I'm pretty sure this thread was created because of these very conflicting views. For a bunch of Buddhist you all seem to really love your emotions. Shouldn't we all be concentrating on our breath right now instead of discussing this? A Buddhist forum seems like a oxymoron. It is helping to create a self identity. My connection with my ego is larger. Why? Look I am expressing Myself to the world. I am important. I have ideas. People want to read them. I have lots of emotions and I am never going to detach from them cause they keep me alive. The title of this thread should be, Is there a point in having emotions while trying to attain Nirvana?
    I'm sorry my friend but I'm going to have to disagree with almost every single sentence you just wrote, and I'm afraid I won't force myself to be too gentle.

You are completely misrepresenting Buddhism. Whether you are a prankster, a dissenter against Buddhism, or someone who is generally confused maybe what I'll say next will help you.

1. The middle path is not about staying between happiness and sadness, it is about staying between asceticism and indulgence. Being happy is never a bad thing. EVER. It could only be construed as bad when it has the effect of causing you to have attachment. But you can still be very very happy and not attach to the happiness. In fact the only way you will be very very happy is by not attaching to that happiness.

2. Giving up all your possessions is not necessary. In fact it could cause suffering. Giving up your possessions is something you do to help decrease your attachment to possessions. It is not the having the possessions that causes suffering however, it is attaching to them. You could be the richest man in the world and be less attached than the poorest man in the world. Its not about what you have, its about what you crave or fear to have.

3. No where was it said you should suppress emotion. You should do the opposite. You should feel your emotions, exquisitely and mindfully. But you should keep separate from them and keep unattached to them.

4. No where is it said you should only focus on the breath. The breath isn't even necessarily important. It is about mindfulness, it is about feeling all sensation and emotion. It is absolutely not about suppressing anything, it is about letting go of attachment. You can still feel emotions and sensations and not be attached or averse to them.

5. You have a completely incorrect understanding of the concept of no-self. It is not about shutting yourself off from the world. It is not about having no ideas or feeling no feelings. No-self is about not having a concept that you are an unchanging entity separate from the universe. You still exist. Understanding no-self doesn't make you go poof. You are something, you are a body and a mind. What you are NOT is a separate unchanging entity.

6. No, attachment to emotions does not keep you alive. You can be influenced by emotion without being attached to it. In fact attachment to emotions will cause you to be totally influenced by emotions alone, probably increasing your chance of death.

Your entire misunderstanding comes from a misunderstanding of craving, attachment and aversion. Which I turned out to have just made a thread on. Check it out maybe.
  • aHN, as I recall, has had several threads related to this, all helpful. I'd suggest beginning with his 1st thread about attachment.
  • Thanks for your thoughtful response. I am just a confused person who has worked hard at confusing myself. Buddhism is dangerous and should come with a warning label. Try to imagine what happens to a person who moves to Thailand and follows those views to a extreme for years. Made myself crazy and am trying to come back to reality.
    edited January 2011
    A different reality.
    you have been presented with much information put forward as 'Truth', but now you are discovering that there are more angles to this Truth, than you at first thought. And that's fine. We are encouraged to examine and discern for ourselves. What worked before, does not work now.

Actually, you're telling us it didn't work before....Ok, well....consider yourself a seeker of Wisdom. It's fun trying, it's good to learn. It's fine to change a PoV, and it's perfectly ok to change your mind....:)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Emotions help us learn. A computer robot cannot drive a car because if a random event outside its programming comes up its program is thrown off.

Like what would the computer chess game 'deeper blue' do if you said "this game paws can move diagonally even when not capturing... It would have to be reprogrammed. For that matter what if you asked deeper blue what its goals were in life?

We have pavlovian conditioned behaviour. But we are also aware. Unconditioned mind outside of time. (that part may not relate to emotions)