Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is intelligence genetic?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
Why are some people smarter than others?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    The degrees of earnesty in practicing Buddhism of inherent wisdom of loving kindness in their past life, and also the purification of karmic hindrance. There is only one and only good gene - loving kindness of Buddha nature in all :pirate: Namaste
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Some people got a lot more attention from their parents when they were in infancy and early childhood. Some people were born into a naturally stimulating environment (multi-lingual family members, for example). Some people attended schools that challenged them, rather than bored them. Some people went on to get advanced university degrees, expanding their minds in the process, and others didn't. Some people who were born with high intelligence were traumatized in childhood and never realized their potential. Lots of reasons. To name just a few. The intelligence you're born with is potential, and it may become highly realized, or it may not. You can "grow" your intelligence, increasing your "score" by challenging yourself and learning throughout life.
  • I no longer think anyone is smarter than anyone else. I used to, though.

I just now think people are more skilled than others in certain things they have more practice/exposure to, that's all.

• This is true too; there are multiple "intelligences", many types of intelligence. Everyone makes a unique contribution to the world.
  • edited January 2011
    Well said on both @Dakini, thank you.
  • A very wise psychology professor I have known for many years insists that intelligence is genetic. Usually he is right in his perceptions. He is open minded, but tends to think no nonsense in a balanced approach. However, this is one of his perceptions that I disagree with to an extent.

Perhaps he has taught psychology so long, that now it's just drilled into his brain that intelligence is genetic. Sometimes you do have to think outside of what you're taught, and consider there is a possibility for other factors to be the main culprit of intelligence. Because I don't believe something like this is absolute.

When I went to kindergarten the teachers sort of thought my head was full of rocks. (It was my first year of school). My mind was always in space, or basically doing my own thing. I rarely paid attention to them, and more than anything else I was always looking around the room for inspiration and drawing different objects on the back of my assignment sheets. Sometimes the teacher even hung up my drawings, instead of my completed assignments (which I barely finished any). I wasn't very articulate either. I was quiet and always doing my own thing.

But then, when I was around 14 I went through a thorough IQ test at a hospital. They were checking me for mental disabilities. It was due to the fact that I ditched school so much in middle school (I just didn't like traditional school). I did all sorts of things in that IQ test, from puzzle solving, to ink blots, to math problems, it seemed pretty thorough. The doctor seemed genuinely stunned with the results and just told me that it was extremely high. He never even gave me a number. It's probably in my records somewhere. He made me promise to him that I would finish a higher education after high school. Unfortunately with my dislike for attending several years of school, I never followed through with that. Maybe I will eventually.

But anyways, I never felt like my parents were that intelligent. Maybe average at best. I did not learn too much from them. They did not help me be successful. It was through other mediums and my own efforts that really helped me survive and to learn what I know.

• edited January 2011
    I think so. Not mentioning any names but I know of an extremely smart grandfather (not tested), father (IQ tested=genius) and son (IQ tested=genius). Three times is a charm "proof" wise. There are many forms of intelligence and only one arena of intelligence is measured quantitatively by testing AFAIK, so from that one arena IQ performance is inherited. FWIW.
  • edited January 2011
    But the one type of intelligence that is measured by tests isn't necessarily a static phenomenon. Heredity gives you a starting point, but what you do with that is up to you and the efforts you make. How you score as an adult is due to both nature and nurture.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, but assuming the g-father, father and son mentioned above had roughly the same environment (which they did) they all arrived in the "same" place. IOW, other gf, f and s in the "neighborhood" with similar backgrounds did not.

Again, it's just a test, what's good about it is it's scientific, tells us something (but not that much).

I dunno. I'm no expert. I should have Googled it and forwarded the best possible link, instead I'm just talking and guessing. AWWGGGH Sorry. :banghead:
  • Define 'smart'.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes,many young people think Intelligence is genetic. they try to pass it on to their parents, because as every kid knows, adults are really dumb.
    S+1, If you're having difficulties discerning definition, this may help you.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0783660#m_en_gb0783660
  • I think some people are smarter than others, and there's no reason to believe that genes don't play in. Recently it was proven that intelligent people are prettier than unintelligent people as a general, which strengthens the link to genes, as we all know that beauty is inherited.

However I do not think that intelligence will bring you anywhere in itself. My personal life experience tells me that curiosity and discipline takes you farther - the extra IQ-points may determine the difference between studying 1 or 2 hours, and maybe the difference between A and A+.

An interesting observation is this though: A normal person has an IQ of 100-110. If we meet someone with an IQ of less than 85, we'll notice that they aren't that bright and we'll maybe even tire a little from their rambling. The difference is 15 points form the norm. Now go to 115 - also 15 from the basic norm. That 115 person will experience the "normal" person as unintelligent as the normal person experiences the half-wit.
    An IQ of 30 below normal will mean you are have difficulty being around normies and dealing with society. Now take a 130 IQ - the person has to navigate in a world where everyone seems like drooling monkeys in comparison ;)

That's theoretical anyway :)
  • Federica, I was asking for the definition to make sure we're talking about the same thing. There are many kinds of intelligence and knowledge. It's pointeless to speak of intelligence in general.

It's basic nature vs nurture. Right now, nurture is the bottleneck of human intelligence. Most people are not interested in learning anything new... things just don't fascinate them.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I was being 'smart'..... :rolleyes:
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I guess my definition of smart would be: being able to reason and apply logic to solve problems and think creatively faster than other people in all subjects and spheres of life. I have always been under the assumption that it was 50/50 and it seems from your posts that that's the general consensus here. There have been a few studies done with twins that suggest it's genetic because they have the same amt. of intelligence (IQ test or whatever) more or less. But who knows.. I can't really find much information on this.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yes, but assuming the g-father, father and son mentioned above had roughly the same environment (which they did) they all arrived in the "same" place. IOW, other gf, f and s in the "neighborhood" with similar backgrounds did not.
    The question is, at what stage in life did these different generations get tested? Here's a thought experiment. Ann and Fran are identical twins. In High School they take an intelligence test and both score 110. they each get a 4-year college degree, then Ann gets married and starts a family, to which she's completely devoted. Fran goes on to get an M.A. and a PhD., and has a career as a university professor, doing research, writing books, going to conferences. At age 35 Ann and Fran both take intelligence tests again. Ann's has increased to 120, but Fran's has shot ahead to 135, due to the intense academic stimulation she's undergone for many years.

As Compassionate Warrior so succinctly put it, intelligence measured in adulthood is due to both nature and nurture. And I think there can be an opposite effect; if a child experiences trauma in infancy or childhood, intelligence can stall, or lose points. Trauma really does a number on the mind; it can handicap mental, emotional, intellectual growth.
  • because as every kid knows, adults are really dumb.

you got that right
  • People have different ways of learning, a gross categorization is visual, auditory, verbal (read/write), tactile. People have different personality styles, relating, doing, thinking. Intelligence tests measure mainly in the visual and verbal and thinking areas, so some people are going to be stronger there.

Intelligent people have a bias for valuing invented (unreal) mappings of ideas onto reality, as well as purely virtual (abstract) worlds. We value knowing about relating and doing, instead of actual skills at them. It's cool and gives us a leg up in school and in the knowledge-worker world, but it's just an artificial bias.

On the other hand, some people appear to simply have simpler minds, as evidenced by very low IQs. Some of these people are not particularly skilled in any area.

I guess the real question is, is it important? It's important, to me, that people not suffer, that we keep moving towards freedom and health for living things, away from global warming and calamities of war, famine, disease. Education is important. Finding opportunities to earn a living and contribute are important. Taking care of one's health is important. Freedom from oppressive (fearful, stressing) thoughts is important...

For the IQ genetic/learned question, it's good to inquire into it to use it to learn about ourselves and life and brains, etc. I can't see any value to the answer, though... Now that I say that, having a component of "genetic" means people shouldn't worry that their lack of IQ is "their fault." Having a component of learning means they should keep learning, keep challenging themselves.

IQ seems to be a combination of the two- we live in a perfect world!
  • Yes. Now what?
  • Of course some people are smarter than others.... as some are more beautiful... some are richer...some are healthier..... as the Buddha said when asked why...because of karma.
    The scientists will always look for genes etc. to explain things because they cannot accept the law of karma which is unprovable to them.
    the law of karma merely uses tools such as genetics to bring a result....but the true reason is karma for all the differences and uniqueness of every individual being.
  • There's what we see, what we notice, what various experiments imply about the workings of the world, things about which we must consciously think to understand.

Then there are beliefs and other automatic thoughts. Whether good ideas or not, Buddhism teaches they're of no value. Meditate and you'll see your mind generating them without human input. Karma helps non-thinkers accept life, not rebel that "it shouldn't be so", and to give them a "reason" to be good.

We all have beliefs, but they're all very, very coarse approximations, generalizations about life. They don't tell us about life, they map life onto the rough constructs of language. To pursue intelligence, think. Discover your beliefs and let them go. Discover who and what you are beneath them, in the spaces between the beliefs and words.

Now what? 'Back to life: awareness, intent and actions against the background of sensations and thoughts...
  • I believe your POTENTIAL intelligence is determined by genetics, but one's actual intelligence is a direct result of effort and experience.

For example, I love my parents to death, but they aren't very intelligent. This is going to sound arrogant, but I don't mean to be. I'm light years ahead of them both in the brains department, as is my sister. The conclusion I have come to is that they don't put any effort into it. The knowledge of the world is literally at our fingertips with the internet and books. Instead they sit there and mindlessly watch television.

So ... yaaaaa
  • I wonder what you'll be doing when you're your parents' age, Minty? I'm surprised how many people of all ages "mindlesslsy watch television". I gave away my TV last year, to avoid falling into that trap.
    I agree with your first sentence--I said the same thing in my first post. :D Intelligence is due to both nature and nurture.
  • Mintryfresh0, that's a good way of putting it. "POTENTIAL intelligence is determined by genetics, but one's actual intelligence is a direct result of effort and experience" ... I like it.
  • You know, having an autistic child does give you a different perspective on this. My son is very intelligent, but struggles to access that intelligence in a useful way. For instance, we're trying to teach him biology but he just cannot understand the concept of a cross-section. I've tried every which way to explain it, but he doesn't get it.

My friend's teenage son is also autistic but is mentally disabled (IQ around 60). However, he is able to do a lot of things for himself and talks quite well. OTOH some of the kids at my son's school are intelligent on paper, but non-verbal and very dependant on others.

What I learn from this children I meet is that intelligence isn't as relevant as people imagine. Some people do a lot with very little; others struggle regardless of their raw intelligence.

My experience is that we're all human, regardless of our abilities and we need to accept people who are less able, as well as those who are very able.
  • That's interesting, Beta. I wonder how intelligence in the autistic would be measured, if they're non-verbal and have other difficulties? I think everyone contributes to life in their own way.
  • I've taught a bit. Some kids are enormously bright, but not methodical, so they can think wonderfully, but not answer very reliably. Others are intelligent but just make mistakes, like thinking the answer is 'B' but checking 'D'. Or reading the question and then thinking more about a certain aspect and then answering the wrong question.

And then so many questions are truly ambiguous unless you have good cultural understanding or understanding of test makers. I have a son with Aspergers Syndrome (which the spell-checker says in an error:-) and O.C.D. He'll find the most interesting "errors" and then his OCD prevents him from making an assumption... Tests and scores are vastly overrated...

And how do you take points off for ability to take tests, but not ability to do real-world problems because the physical world is so much messier than a problem on a test sheet?
  • Came across this article today and thought it appropriate: Being Poor Can Suppress Children's Genetic Potentials, Study Finds
    In general, the 2-year-olds from poorer families performed very similarly to one another. That was true among both fraternal and identical twins, suggesting that genetic similarity was unrelated to similarities in cognitive ability. Instead, their environments determine their cognitive success.

Among 2-year-olds from wealthier families, identical twins (who share identical genetic makeups) performed very similarly to one another. But fraternal twins were not as similar -- suggesting their different genetic makeups and potentials were already driving their cognitive abilities.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    My father dropped out of school in 6th grade. My mom didn't make it past high school. I seem to get better grades than my mom ever did. I'm planning on going to college. So... meh.
  • You took your potential and ran with it, MindGate. Your parents didn't. More power to you--I hope you reach your goals, and get to teach in Europe. :)