Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

rebirth in light of the tao

edited January 2011 in General Banter
Here's something I just thought of. So nirvana is the ending of rebirth within the cycle of samsara. The attainment within taoism is simply aligning yourself with the tao. So, let's bring these two notions into one coherent idea. Every time you do an action which is not aligned with the tao, you are bringing something into existence which doesn't naturally exist within the flow of tao. You could say you cause "birth" to happen, and each action which is not in line with tao is rebirth. So, when you enter nirvana, your actions are always in line with the tao, thus there is no rebirth, because you're simply going with the tao.

Comments

• If going against the tao means self grasping then yes. Or even other grasping.
  • 養生主 - Nourishing the Lord of Life (v. 5) - When the Master came, it was at the proper time; when he went away, it was the simple sequence (of his coming). Quiet acquiescence in what happens at its proper time, and quietly submitting (to its ceasing) afford no occasion for grief or for joy. The ancients described (death) as the loosening of the cord on which God suspended (the life).

大宗師 - The Great and Most Honoured Master (v. 5) - Wherever a parent tells a son to go, east, west, south, or north, he simply follows the command. [...] We are born as from a quiet sleep, and we die to a calm awaking.

知北遊 Knowledge Rambling in the North (v. 5) - [T]heir coming leaves no trace, and their going no monument; they enter by no door; they dwell in no apartment: they are in a vast arena reaching in all directions. They who search for and find (the Dao) in this are strong in their limbs, sincere and far-reaching in their thinking, acute in their hearing, and clear in their seeing.

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    TheJourney, where can I read up on taoism?
  • edited January 2011
    TheJourney, where can I read up on taoism?
    unfortunately there's not a ton of information on taoism readily available. Read the tao te ching, it's like the central text of taoism. You can find it for free online. And beyond that just some google searching or go to your local library and find books.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I heard the tao te ching is full of riddles and metaphors, neither of which I am good with. :(
  • Hmm. Maybe. I've only read it once, but I don't recall having a hard time understanding it. I'd give it a read if I were you. It's great.

Taoism isn't as much about reading as other religions/philosophies. Let me sum up taoism for you very simply. It is not complicated.

Act in line with nature. Don't try to "do" anything. Simply go with the flow. Act in a way that it seems there is no other way to act. Be like a child. Don't set out to be anything, simply be. There is no need to complicate things. Just be. Easiest thing ever. Yet we don't do it.
  • edited January 2011
    Laozi is the author of the daodejing. Zhuangzi (aka Chuang Tzu) is another author/book. And Liezi too.

Neidan and zuowang are methods.

There is a secret in the Golden Flower.
  • the Chuang Tzu is also a good book on taoism..
  • the tao and arupa-dhåtu nirvåna are one and the same? *ops, guess i will be quickly and efficiently censored for not translating to english.
    Here's something I just thought of. So nirvana is the ending of rebirth within the cycle of samsara. The attainment within taoism is simply aligning yourself with the tao. So, let's bring these two notions into one coherent idea. Every time you do an action which is not aligned with the tao, you are bringing something into existence which doesn't naturally exist within the flow of tao. You could say you cause "birth" to happen, and each action which is not in line with tao is rebirth. So, when you enter nirvana, your actions are always in line with the tao, thus there is no rebirth, because you're simply going with the tao.
  • edited January 2011
    This also is consistent with the idea that upon enlightenment/nirvana you no longer accumulate karma. How can you accumulate karma when you're simply going with the tao?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Vincenzi,

Ja du ist bald 'censored' geworden. Kann ich dich fragen warum musst du etwas merkwurdig Sprache benutzen? Die niemand verstehen kann. Macht es als ob du wichtig und guile, denkst du? Oder willst du dass Leute haben keine Verstandung von was du gesagt hast.