Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

True Self

edited January 2011 in General Banter
I'm in the process of writing my book. Let me show you guys a paragraph from it that I thought may interest you, or lead to an interesting discussion.

Hindu thought prior to the Buddha claimed that there was a true, lasting self, which merged with Brahma, or God. The Buddha rejected that claim, and said that there was no lasting self, just impermanence and not self. Here’s the trick to understanding. Your true self IS the impermanence and not self. That is who you truly are. But who you truly are has no one lasting nature. When you get into ultimate truth, words lose their meaning. This is just another example of that. Is there a true self? No words can describe the answer to this. Yes, there kind of is a true self; but that true self has no lasting nature, and there is nothing which you can say is that self. Yet everything is that self, but just an expression of it, and no given thing can be found which is the true lasting self.

You are the process of impermanence and not self. All things are not self and impermanence. That is who you are. You are the process of life. You are all things. But "all things" has no set meaning, for it is in flux.

These ideas transcend words. But I am trying my best. It's a learning process, trying to word these things.

Comments

• aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    want a little writing advice? I've done a lot of writing.

a couple of sentences there with odd phrasing, but more broadly you seem to explain it a bit strangely.
    "Is there a true self? No words can describe the answer to this." that's a yes or no question, maybe what you meant to say is "what is the true self?"

also "yes there kind of is a true self" awkward phrasing and it is also not explained further and when you just state it, it contradicts with your other arguments.

what you seem to be going for is that there is no true self but then you say there kind of is a true self, I don't see that there is, but if you want to argue that there is explain what it is, the "everything is that self, but just an expression of it" doesn't seem to make sense.
  • want a little writing advice? I've done a lot of writing.
    Sure. This isn't a final draft or anything i'm still just trying to get the ideas out there but i'm open to whatever.
  • edited January 2011
    want a little writing advice? I've done a lot of writing.

a couple of sentences there with odd phrasing, but more broadly you seem to explain it a bit strangely.
    "Is there a true self? No words can describe the answer to this." that's a yes or no question, maybe what you meant to say is "what is the true self?"

also "yes there kind of is a true self" awkward phrasing and it is also not explained further and when you just state it, it contradicts with your other arguments.

what you seem to be going for is that there is no true self but then you say there kind of is a true self, I don't see that there is, but if you want to argue that there is explain what it is, the "everything is that self, but just an expression of it" doesn't seem to make sense.
    You are the process of impermanence and not self. All things are not self and impermanence. That is who you are. You are the process of life. You are all things. But "all things" has no set meaning, for it is in flux.

this perhaps explains a bit better. It's difficult to word these things, as it transcends words.
  • edited January 2011
    Here’s the trick to understanding. Your true self IS the impermanence and not self. That is who you truly are. But who you truly are has no one lasting nature. When you get into ultimate truth, words lose their meaning. This is just another example of that. Is there a true self? No words can describe the answer to this. Yes, there kind of is a true self; but that true self has no lasting nature, and there is nothing which you can say is that self. Yet everything is that self, but just an expression of it, and no given thing can be found which is the true lasting self.
    This is very hard for me to understand. Perhaps you can put in an example, a touchstone, when you say,

"Your true self IS the impermanence and not self. That is who you truly are. But who you truly are has no one lasting nature,"

I find myself scratching my head because I'm not clear what you are referring to when you use..., say..., for example, "True self."

Perhaps you could say, "Your true self, [which is the self that etc etc etc] is the impermanence and not self [which is the self that etc etc etc]... ." IOW, fill in the "etc" with some definitions or examples.

I do resonate with the belief that language is a seductive formulaic misleading narrow straw which we nevertheless try to drink up and communicate profound experiences through. Sometimes using poetry does a good job/better job.

Good luck! Language is a slippery little sukkr! Gotta nail it down. :thumbsup:
  • I tried to clarify in a post a couple up. Maybe that will better explain.
  • aHappyNihilist, you want a little advice on giving advice?

Right then, maybe wait for an answer first ;)

Ok, ok....no one likes a smartypants
    edited January 2011
    \You are the process of impermanence and not self. All things are not self and impermanence. That is who you are. You are the process of life. You are all things. But "all things" has no set meaning, for it is in flux.

Again, I'm with you until you said all things. I am not all things. I would define myself as a piece of matter, and in five seconds I would define myself as a different piece of matter. I am not all things, in no way could I put in my definition of self the wood making up a tree in Australia.

I would define the "true self" as the physical matter making up my body at the current moment and the mental state I am in at the current moment. As for a self existing separate from time, that self doesn't exist at all.

The self isn't impermanent, there is no self. The closest thing to self is your physical body and experience confined to an instant in time.

I think we probably mean the same thing and are phrasing it differently, that doesn't make it ineffable though, just hard to say.
  • And you're free to your opinion. I'm simply sharing my views.
  • you don't want to discuss them at all?
  • It is ineffible. You can try to describe it, but your words fail. The buddha himself taught this. He only taught what the ultimate reality was not. Because you can't say what it is. It is beyond words.

And I really only like discussing with like minded people anymore, to be honest. I don't care whatsoever if people disagree or don't like what I have to say, I just get bored with continued conversation with them because it invariably at least appears to turn into a debate or trying to convince one another that they're right. And that bores me. Because I don't care if anyone thinks i'm right. There is no real reason to talk about this stuff. The only reason I do is cuz I enjoy discussing with like-minded people.
    edited January 2011

edit: actually the more I look at it the more our difference disappears. We are both trying to point to something indefinable, it can't be defined because it is never the same from one instant to another.

Defining something requires it to be something that exists over time as the same thing. The self doesn't fit this so it is undefinable. I'm pointing towards what it is by taking out the element of time, defining it within an infinitesimal span of time, and you are defining it taking out the element of it being the same thing, saying it does exist over time but not as the same thing.

We are both right, just taking two different approaches on defining that which can't be defined.
  • Who we are that is defined within an instant is one expression of the ultimate. The ultimate is all that exists. You are the ultimate. Any given expression of the ultimate contains within it the entirety of it. I am not the only person who says this. I have read about all this stuff. Not that it makes me right, but I get frustrated when people on buddhist forums disagree with me on stuff that I have read over and over in buddhist literature. I have read a lot. I don't just make stuff up. Sure, I have my own insight, but it doesn't contradict the great teachers of the past. It's the inevitable conclusion of what they say. And much of it they specifically said. Very little of what I say goes beyond what has already been said. Within any given thing is contained everything, because all things are interdependent. Any actions echoes throughout the universe, and in a way any action creates a universe. Everything is contained within any given thing. Like I said, i'm not making this stuff up, I just don't have sources of other people who have said it off the top of my head.
  • I edited my post, I think you will like it more

• edit: actually the more I look at it the more our difference disappears. We are both trying to point to something indefinable, it can't be defined because it is never the same from one instant to another.

Defining something requires it to be something that exists over time as the same thing. The self doesn't fit this so it is undefinable. I'm pointing towards what it is by taking out the element of time, defining it within an infinitesimal span of time, and you are defining it taking out the element of it being the same thing, saying it does exist over time but not as the same thing.

We are both right, just taking two different approaches on defining that which can't be defined.
    Right. When you step beyond conventional into the ultimate words can no longer define it. We can simply use words to the best of our ability to help people see the truth that is beyond them.
  • Yes, for something to be definable it must exist in time as the same thing. The self can't be defined no matter how awesome you are because it changes constantly, never does it exist as one thing over any span of time.

So to point to it you have to take away one of the elements of definability. You can either take away the time element and describe it within an infinitesimal instant, or you can take away the same thing element and describe it over time as something changing.

Both of those definitions are right, and wrong.
  • edited January 2011
    Everything is simply an expression of the indescribable. Therefore, everything is right in its not being right. That's why I don't debate anymore. We're all just trying to get at the same truth.
  • edited January 2011
    Sorry to be picky, but Hinduism did not precede Buddhism. Vedic Brahmanism preceded both Hinduism and Buddhism, as well as Jainism and a few other sects.

Siddhārtha Gautama was an adherent of Vedic Brahmanism before he became an Enlightened Buddha. A lot of his beliefs before Enlightenment bore significant resemblance to modern Hinduism, but he radically changed many of his views once he became Buddha and began teaching the Dharma.

Wikipedia is actually quite good on this matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha
  • edited January 2011
    Everything i've ever read says that hinduism is the oldest religion that exists today, and definitely older than buddhism.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Same here Journey.

However there another Buddha who taught the Dhamma on this planet apaprently.
  • Everything is simply an expression of the indescribable. Therefore, everything is right in its not being right. That's why I don't debate anymore. We're all just trying to get at the same truth.
    Just because there exists an ineffable concept about the nature of the self doesn't mean there is no correct interpretation of reality. The sky is blue. And actually I'm going back when i said that those definitions were right and wrong, they are actually both right, but aren't sufficient.
  • The ultimate truth is ineffable. It contains everything. Everything is an attempt at describing the indescribable. None of them suffice. But they are all accurate in their own way.

The buddha himself taught that he couldn't teach about the ultimate nature of reality. He could only say what it was not.
  • Emptiness is the closest thing to describing it, but you have to see it for yourself; the concept alone is just a pointer.
  • Emptiness is the closest thing to describing it, but you have to see it for yourself; the concept alone is just a pointer.
    To me, the key lies in seeing how all of these concepts relate. They're all saying the same thing. As you say, you just have to see for yourself what they're all saying.
  • It's about the most hilarious thing I can think of that we humans, who claim ourselves to be so very intelligent, have to work so hard at seeing the simple truths that are right in front of us. :D
  • It's so simple. It's all so very simple. Our intelligence works against us, in some ways. It's right there. There's nothing to grasp at. By grasping we are making something to grasp on, and by so doing separating ourselves from the truth. Seeing the truth and experiencing nirvana and being in line with the tao is the easiest thing we could possibly do. But we don't like easy, for some reason. We want to complicate things.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    That we "want" is all. If we were born seeing the truth, that wanting wouldn't arise; but we're born ignorant and are taught a different truth (which is also based on ignorance). It's really tradition, what human society holds onto, that conditions the "self".
  • edited January 2011
    I'm reading a thich nhat hanh book and he just mentioned something that i've talked about and been met with skepticism on so I figured i'd post the quote to prove i'm not making it up lol.

"In the world of the dharmadhatu, the father lies inside the child and the child is inside the father. We're in the buddha, the buddha is inside us. Garbage is inside the flower, and the flower is in the garbage.
    ...any element, no matter how small, contains within itself the totality of its universe. Every element contains the mind, and the mind contains every element."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Your true self IS the impermanence and not self. That is who you truly are.
    Buddha said "all things whatsover without exception are not-self" (sabbe dhamma anatta ti). This is ultimate truth. In ultimate truth, there is no "true self" and no "who". In ultimate truth there is only "what", namely, the elements or five aggregates.

However, on the conventional level, "who" we are is those causes & conditions that have made us, such as our mother, father, teachers, education, experiences, etc.

The Buddha taught right view on two levels, mundane & supramundane (ultimate).

Mundane right view is "there is gift, offering, sacrifice, mother & father". What this means is our life is the result of what has been given to us by our benefactors. But this is mundane right view rather than ultimate truth. Buddha said this mundane right view sides with merit (goodness) but is tainted by asava (mental impurity) and attachment (self-view). Buddha said this mundane right does not in itself lead to liberation.

This is why on the level of ultimate truth, the Buddha advised in the Dhammapada "to kill one's mother & father".

But right now, instead of killing our mother & father, we have blind sheep followers of thich nhat hanh, attempting to create their own religious cult, who are advising us to kill the Buddha.

The Buddha provided us with the correct understanding. The Buddha said to kill our mother & father rather than to create a "true self" from them.

But on the level of conventional truth, sure, visit our mother & father at Xmas and thank them for their contributions & sacrifices.

All the best

DD

:)
    "And what is right view? Right view, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]; and there is noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the other worlds. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously born beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the others after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The wisdom, the faculty of wisdom, the strength of wisdom, analysis of dhammas as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

Maha-cattarisaka Sutta: The Great Forty

Having killed mother & father,
    two warrior kings,
    the kingdom & its dependency —
    the brahman, untroubled, travels on.

Having killed mother & father,
    two learned kings,
    &, fifth, a tiger —
    the brahman, untroubled, travels on.

Dhammapada 294-295

• I don't really know what point you're making, but to be clear i'm not trying to repeat everything the buddha said. The buddha had his methods for teaching, I have mine. I see what the buddha is saying, but sometimes I may choose to express it differently. I see it in the way that it makes sense to me. I speak for people who will benefit from hearing it my way. If not, then they have the buddha. I am not the buddha. It's all just fingers pointing at the moon. People need to realize that. Stop clinging to buddhism. It's an attachment, just like any other.
    edited January 2011
    Stop clinging to buddhism.
    And do what? Follow the "true self" & other ignorant notions you post here.

:eek2:
  • I think both points are valid.

TheJourney says "Your true self IS the impermanence and not self."
    This is basically saying that what you are is empty/emptiness.

Dhamma Dhatu says (the Buddha said) "all things whatsover without exception are not-self".
    This is basically saying the same thing; you're not any "thing", because you are empty.

Namaste
  • edited January 2011
    Stop clinging to buddhism.
    And do what? Follow the "true self" & other ignorant notions you post here.

Calling people who disagree with you ignorant. You must be so wise.
  • I...i'm...I...mine... I...I...I...me... I...my...I am.... It's all just fingers pointing at the moon...
  • edited January 2011
    You're so cute

edited January 2011
    Calling people who disagree with you ignorant.
    Your personal truths are contrary to natural truth.

The Buddha did not point to the moon.

The Buddha pointed to the nature of natural reality.

The word the Buddha used for not-knowing 'not-self' was ignorance (avicca).

• You must have such a fulfilling life to talk down to people who you've never even met and you know nothing about and who didn't even try to talk to you. Surely there's no self esteem issues there. Wanna talk about it, champ? I'm here for you. I feel bad for you. Maybe one day you can be at peace. But not with that attitude.
  • Learn more about buddhism bud. I will quote the buddha directly.

"The truth is like the moon, and all of my teachings are like the finger pointing to the moon. The finger is only to point to the moon."

Learn before talking. It's helpful. For being such a fundamentalist buddhist who claims to know everything you don't even know one of his most famous lines. It's laughable. Your ignorance and arrogance is astounding. Now leave my thread.
    edited January 2011
    This is basically saying the same thing; you're not any "thing", because you are empty.
    Not sure I agree here.

Buddha said the five aggregrates & the elements are empty.

Buddha did not say "you" are empty.

How can "you" be "empty" when emptiness is empty of "you"?

Buddha said the terms "you", "me", "mine", "I" are merely worldly conventions for communication.

That is all.

"No knots exist for one with conceit cast off;
    For him all knots of conceit are consumed.
    When the wise one has transcended the conceived
    He might still say 'I speak,'
    And he might say 'They speak to me.'
    Skillful, knowing the world's parlance,
    He uses such terms as mere expressions."

(KS I, 21-22; SN 1:25)

• I thought you weren't going to do this anymore.
  • You must have such a fulfilling life to talk down to people who you've never even met and you know nothing about and who didn't even try to talk to you. Surely there's no self esteem issues there. Wanna talk about it, champ? I'm here for you. I feel bad for you. Maybe one day you can be at peace. But not with that attitude.

:rant: :banghead: :bawl: :eek2:
  • Debate your views
  • This is what I mean Dhamma Dhatu. There is no you, really. Reality is an indivisible whole, empty of "things" that have independent existence. Only trying to reconcile what both of you are saying; it doesn't seem to be very skillful to argue if it's all really the same thing that's being taken different ways. Right?
  • I will quote the buddha directly.

"The truth is like the moon, and all of my teachings are like the finger pointing to the moon. The finger is only to point to the moon."
    Please provide the link to the actual sutta.

Thanks

:clap:
  • Debate your views
    I'm not debating anything. What I can't talk anymore. God i'm getting so sick of the internet it's like I can't even talk. I come here solely for my entertainment in discussing things. I haven't debated anything recently. I have no desire to debate. I do enjoy discussing. That is why I am here, to discuss. You will not see me going in anyone's thread and tell them they're wrong and try to convince them of what I believe. It is other people who do that to me.
  • I will quote the buddha directly.

Please provide the link to the actual sutta.

Thanks

:clap:
    Google it. I'm now doubting even more your "knowledge" of buddhism. It's a hugely well known saying. I just read about it in a thich nhat hanh book, but I already knew about it. I thought every buddhist knew about it. Just google it and you'll find it all over. Clearly you're not as knowledgable as you think. I was only a buddhist for like a couple of months and yet I know this and you don't. Yet you act like you know everything. I'm bored with you now, leave my thread, please.
    edited January 2011
    I have googled it. All I found was "Tich Nhat Han said so".

Are you sure Buddha said it or just a Zen dude?

• ...my thread...
    15. "There are, monks, these six grounds for false views.What are the six?

There is here, monks, an uninstructed worldling who has no regard for Noble Ones, who is ignorant of their teaching and untrained in it; who has no regard for men of worth, who is ignorant of their teaching and untrained in it: he considers corporeality thus: 'This is mine, this I am, this is my self'; he considers feeling... perception... mental formations thus: 'This is mine, this I am, this is my self'; and what is seen, heard, sensed, and thought; what is encountered, sought, pursued in mind, this also he considers thus: 'This is mine, this I am, this is my self'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.022.nypo.html

:wave:

:om:
  • edited January 2011
    "I'm bored with you now, leave my thread, please".

Woo, I didn't realise threads were owned by members here!

This discussion has been closed.