Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

possible epiphany during meditation? - best meditation guidebook?

edited January 2011 in Meditation
I had this possible epiphany during a meditation this morning (I sound a hippy there?!?) Now that I am studying and implementing buddhism in my life im noticing how my life is so much better. Im deattaching from so many things its interesting how i've managed to control my anger and frustration at being tossed out of a job that i worked hard in. Am i the only one who thinks yoga and meditation should be introduced into schools to enrich kids lives? (not with the intention to convert them though!)

What is the best book on meditation?

Comments

• I think introducing meditation into schools is a great idea. And congrats on using your practice to overcome the setback of losing a good job--that's impressive.

• What is the best book on meditation?
    A good book is "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Ven Henepola Gunaratana. It's available for free download in many places including here: http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Turning Your Mind Into An Ally - Sakyong Mipham, was excellent.
  • I really like How to Meditate by Kathleen McDonald.
  • Yes, meditation should be part of education.
    But don't study books on the subject.
    Because there is no roadmap.

There is no road map for meditation, and descriptions of various stages of meditation are useless, in my opinion.

It is going to be different for us anyway.
    Knowing how other people experience their meditation will only make us uncertain about our own experience. Are we doing something wrong, if it feels different for us? Or maybe we will try to copy their experience instead of having our own, and wouldn’t that be a shame!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I disagree. I think instruction on meditation is absolutely essential for most people. I don't think it's about trying to experience meditation the same way someone else does, or trying to have experiences at all.

The Buddha taught various meditation practices for a reason. Skilled teachers and practitioners have been sharing those teachings with people for thousands of years. There is a benefit in reading and studying meditation.
  • Maybe we disagree (and that’s okay!)

We need some practical information about the position and about the “technique” of it.
    The rest is practice not study.

• I agree that any meditation teachings must actually be put into practice for it to be effective, rather than just studying techniques and never sitting down to try anything. I just think it's beneficial to study methods of meditation, expanding ones knowledge, even if one only engages in one type of practice. Reading and studying the dharma plants positive seeds in the mindstream.
  • awesome man, meditation definitely increases creative thinking.

http://mindfulnessinschools.org/
    http://www.mindfulschools.org/

fortunately, such beneficial programs are in place already and if you live nearby maybe you can get involved.

i've had the same results with meditation and mindfulness. seeing reality as it is, is truly freeing.

:)
  • edited January 2011

Because there is no roadmap.
    1. The Noble Eightfold Path to Perfection

2. The Visuddhimagga

• Am i the only one who thinks yoga and meditation should be introduced into schools to enrich kids lives? (not with the intention to convert them though!)
    Schools encourage physical exercise, so I don't see why mental exercise shouldn't also be promoted. It would probably have to be stripped of any reference to Buddhism, however.

Maybe they could call it "watchful focusing" or something.

What is the best book on meditation?
    A good book is "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Ven Henepola Gunaratana. It's available for free download in many places including here: http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf
    Great book, free or not.