Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do speak ill of the three treasures !

zenffzenff Veteran
edited January 2011 in Sanghas
On this link http://buddhism.about.com/od/theprecepts/a/preceptsintro.htm I found: “The Ten Grand Precepts”
1. Not killing
2. Not stealing
3. Not misusing sex
4. Not lying
5. Not abusing intoxicants
6. Not talking about others' errors and faults
7. Not elevating oneself and blaming others
8. Not being stingy
9. Not being angry
10. Not speaking ill of the Three Treasures

When at some point (quit a few years ago) I joined a Buddhist group, I took ten precepts which were identical or similar to these quoted here. So I think they are still in use in Buddhist groups.

Three times they say roughly the same thing:
- don’t talk about others errors
- don’t blame others
- don’t speak ill of the three treasures.

Now my question is, if someone takes these precepts seriously, how on earth can he/she let people know when something is seriously wrong?
Where does the whistleblower fit in?

These precepts ensure that if something abusive is going on in your sangha, the world will never know. The organization is more important than the victims. The approach is similar to that of the Catholic church (in the past).

Isn’t it a damaging attitude to wish to protect the good name of the sangha in general or of your Buddhist community in particular?
Isn’t it much better to be open to criticism and to be transparent, so abuses can not persist?

Comments

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2011
    These are the traditional "Ten Grave Precepts" of Zen, so yes they are still in use. They don't prevent "whistleblowing" so to speak. Six is intended to prevent gossip, slander, and other wrong speech. The intent of seven is to discourage pride and arrogance and to encourage modesty. The last does not ensure abuse will be covered up since abuse is not part of the three treasures. If someone is engaging in abuse in the sanga, they themselves, are breaking this precept. There are several different versions of these precepts but they all mean the same thing and have the same intent. One version that I like is this:

6. Not to speak of others’ faults but to speak out of loving-kindness.
    7. Not to praise self at the expense of others but to be modest.
    10. Not to do anything to diminish the Triple Treasure but to support and nurture it.

One could even argue that doing nothing about abuse in a sanga is actually breaking number 10.
  • I fully agree with that.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    The Buddha himself taught a little differently, as follows:

Potaliya, four kinds of people exist and can be found in the world.

What four kinds? The four kinds are:

(1) Some people blame those who should be blamed, according to the truth, at the proper time, but do not praise those who should be praised, according to the truth, at the proper time.

(2) Some people praise those who should be praised, according to the truth, at the proper time, but do not blame those who should be blamed, according to the truth, at the proper time.

(3) Some people do not blame those who should be blamed, according to the truth, at the proper time, and do not praise those who should be praised, according to the truth, at the proper time.

(4) Some people blame those who should be blamed, according to the truth, at the proper time, and praise those who should be praised, according to the truth, at the proper time.

Potaliya, these four kinds of people exist and can be found in the world. Of these four kinds of people, that kind should be the most fair and right, the most refined, to you?

"Venerable Lord Gotama, of all those four kinds of people, the kind of person who does not blame those who should be blamed, according to the truth, at the proper time, and does not praise those who should be praised, according to the truth, at the proper time; is the kind of person who is the most beautiful and refined to me. What is the reason for this? Because this is fair and right with upekkha (equanimity)."

Potaliya, of all those four kinds of people, whichever kind of person blames those who should be blamed, according to the truth, at the proper time, and praises those who should be praised, according to the truth, at the proper time; this kind of person is the most beautiful and refined of these four kinds of people. What is the reason for this? It is fair and right because such a one knows the right time in those circumstances.

http://www.suanmokkh.org/archive/rtspch1.htm
    :)

• I fully agree with that...I think.
  • Once again, DD to the rescue! Thanks for that, DD. Where were you when I was blowing the whistle on "lama abuse", and was accused of wrong speech? I needed you.
  • These are the traditional "Ten Grave Precepts" of Zen, so yes they are still in use. They don't prevent "whistleblowing" so to speak. One could even argue that doing nothing about abuse in a sanga is actually breaking number 10.
    How is doing nothing about abuse in a sanga actually breaking number 10?
  • Basically, if everyone takes these precepts seriously, how on earth can they not realize bodhi, and would there be anything seriously wrong in them! :thumbdown:
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Wilfred, yes, if everyone keeps the precepts, things look a whole lot better and there isn’t anything to blow the whistle on.

This however might not always be the case.
    Gurus can turn out to be unable to handle the blind adoration from their followers and start abusing them. The group can turn out to be unable to correct him/her and things get worse.
    It happens everywhere so it happens in Buddhist groups too.

My point is that these precepts seem to discourage whistle blowing and may prevent people to speak up when things are going wrong.
    Seeker 242 pointed out that the intention of these precepts is certainly not to cover up abuses. And I agree.

These precepts (or their undesirable interpretation) limit peoples’ sense of responsibility.
    They could be misread saying our responsability does not stretch to what other people do as far as this concerns the direction our group is taking.
    One may -incorrectly – argue that our own behavior is our only concern and that it even is wrong to interfere with others faults (even when they happen under our eyes and affect the group we belong to).
    The law of karma may get drawn in. Speaking ill of a bodhisattva or of a stream-enterer is extremely bad karma. If you do that you will go to some Buddhist hell for a kalpa or two.
    Such attitudes make Buddhist groups vulnerable to losing direction and allow abusive practices to continue.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Outside (misunderstood) precepts and threatening with the law of karma there are other factors, potentially helping a Buddhist abuser to get away with it.

One such factor is the (wrong) idea that the teacher is so advanced in his/her practice that our silly dualistic standards of moral behavior do not apply.
    It is our limitation that makes us see abuse; when all there can be (coming from such an advanced teacher) is compassion and wisdom. It’s simply beyond our understanding. It is all empty anyway.

Don’t believe it.

Another factor is secrecy. If some “advanced” types of practice are to be kept secret for the outside world and even for fellow practitioners, something is probably wrong.

There’s nothing in Buddhism that’s unfit to bo out in the open.

• Sometimes, the most loving thing to do is point out another's errors. Any good parent knows this, as does any child with awareness and good parents.

However, before we launch into a potentially hurtful criticism of someone else, we really need to consider our words, try to empathise with how the person might feel and be certain our advice is based on genuine compassion, not on a sense of superiority or anger.

Like surgery, if you are going to cut into someone's heart you'd better make sure you're skilled and it's for a good reason.
    These are the traditional "Ten Grave Precepts" of Zen, so yes they are still in use. They don't prevent "whistleblowing" so to speak. One could even argue that doing nothing about abuse in a sanga is actually breaking number 10.

"The only way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing". By doing nothing about something that is destructive to the Sangha, you are not nurturing or being supportive of the Sangha. By doing nothing about something that is destroying it, you are in effect, condoning it's destruction thereby violating number 10. This all assumes that something can be done to begin with.
  • Outside (misunderstood) precepts and threatening with the law of karma there are other factors, potentially helping a Buddhist abuser to get away with it.

One such factor is the (wrong) idea that the teacher is so advanced in his/her practice that our silly dualistic standards of moral behavior do not apply.
    It is our limitation that makes us see abuse; when all there can be (coming from such an advanced teacher) is compassion and wisdom. It’s simply beyond our understanding. It is all empty anyway.

Don’t believe it.

Another factor is secrecy. If some “advanced” types of practice are to be kept secret for the outside world and even for fellow practitioners, something is probably wrong.

There’s nothing in Buddhism that’s unfit to bo out in the open.
    Very important advice--I've heard there's a fair amount of that ("our silly dualistic standards of moral behavior do not apply") going around, and secrecy as well.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    These are the traditional "Ten Grave Precepts" of Zen, so yes they are still in use. They don't prevent "whistleblowing" so to speak. One could even argue that doing nothing about abuse in a sanga is actually breaking number 10.

"The only way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing". By doing nothing about something that is destructive to the Sangha, you are not nurturing or being supportive of the Sangha. By doing nothing about something that is destroying it, you are in effect, condoning it's destruction thereby violating number 10. This all assumes that something can be done to begin with.
    Thanks for the clarification. I agree, but #10 could be open to interpretation, there's the rub. All the more reason to check out sanghas carefully before getting involved. How would you (Seeker, or zenff) recommend responding to people who say it's "wrong speech" to blow the whistle?

What's the source of your quote? Here's a fave of mine, along the same line:
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    --Albert Einstein Rinpoche ;)

edited January 2011
    Most Buddhists take "Sangha" to be those in robes or some kind of lineage holder, including lay teachers.

But originally, the Sangha referred exclusively to the "Noble" or "Enlightened" Sangha.

In some traditions, the meaning is retained.

If a teacher gives great sermons on 'Emptiness' but practises sexual misconduct, they are not enlightened (imo); they are not "Sangha" (imo).

Yadidaṃ cattāri purisa-yugāni aṭṭha purisa-puggalā:

i.e., the four pairs — the eight types — of Noble Ones:

Esa bhagavato sāvaka-saṅgho —

That is the Sangha of the Blessed One's disciples.

• If a teacher gives great sermons on 'Emptiness' but practises sexual misconduct, they are not enlightened (imo); they are not "Sangha" (imo).
    Interesting definition you have. It does eliminate the dilemma of speaking ill of the sangha. :)

Where do you practice? Traleg Rinpoche is in Australia, do you have any experience with him?
    BTW, the message you sent me got erased, somehow. :-/
  • Precepts are not meant to measure on people, it serves as a tranquilizer for peace within. Once your peace is tranquilized and inherent bliss emerges, the precepts of sangha achieves its intended result, and congratulations! :clap:
    edited January 2011
    Buddha made 227 rules for his monks. Sangha are in a position of trustworthiness & safety.

• If the zen precepts are reasonable and bring you peace of mind then it doesn't matter if they are in the Pali Canon. DD does his thing and you can do yours. We have separate karma. Peace to us all.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Dakini said: “How would you (Seeker, or zenff) recommend responding to people who say it's "wrong speech" to blow the whistle?”

And Beta noted: “Like surgery, if you are going to cut into someone's heart you'd better make sure you're skilled and it's for a good reason.”

It is difficult.
    In an open and transparent community criticism is tolerated and taken seriously. But then, in such a community abuse is unlikely to happen anyway.
    More likely is that abuse happens in a community which has some mechanisms facilitating it.
    I think those mechanisms have been discussed on this forum.

In such a group I have seen only two scenarios.
    The general outcome is that the whistle blower gets isolated, he /she will be ignored, slandered and despised and he /she ultimately leaves. The group strengthens its sense of exclusiveness.
    The other outcome is that the whistle blower finds informal leaders and is able to make an alliance with them. It is a serious thing, and indeed like in heart surgeory, the patient may die. In our case it did. The group fell apart.

Again in a group of wise (or just reasonable) people issues can be solved.
    And the key is to prevent serious abuse from happening in the first place.
    So emphasize from the beginning the benefits of sincere criticism. It’s a contribution to the wellbeing of your sangha and all its members. It is not “wrong speech”.

• edited January 2011
    Zenff, on behalf of those who are concerned with this issue, could you discuss the signs to watch out for that a lama may have a hidden agenda, or may be covertly taking advantage of students? I was in a couple of sanghas where some of the women had to fend off unwanted attention, and I've heard that there have been cases where the problem develops much farther than that. How would you suggest preventing any problem from developing? Although it seems to me that once such a lama has arrived at the sangha, it's already too late. This brings up the question: how to screen for this type of problem when selecting a lama? Sangha members never have input into who the administration chooses to invite for a residency. I wonder, have you heard of any cases where a lama was dismissed, and sent home before the end of his term had arrived, due to misconduct? I can't help but notice that many centers (and center admins) still aren't aware of this pernicious problem, and have no guidelines in place for teacher conduct. You may be interested to know that there is a "progressive" (for lack of a better word) movement among dharma centers on the West Coast that implemented guidelines for teacher behavior approx. 15 years ago. But my impression is that many other centers are unaware of this development, and are vulnerable to problems developing . It would be great if all dharma center could get up to speed on this, but I wonder if maybe some aren't interested, and their leadership prefers "business as usual". Do you have a read on this?
  • I'd like to add that it can be difficult in screening lamas, because if they have any history of misconduct, they'll most likely have succeeded in keeping it secret. In many cases the only way you could find out about it is to access a women's grapevine (not that there is one in the formal sense) to see what the women say, and check the internet. Sometimes lamas with no prior sangha experience get plucked from the crowd in the monastery, and invited to teach in the West. One only finds out what type of person he is after he arrives at the sangha. In situations like this, the sangha should have a code of conduct in place and brief him on it.
    edited January 2011
    How would you (Seeker, or zenff) recommend responding to people who say it's "wrong speech" to blow the whistle?
    [3] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. — MN 58

Is it beneficial to expose abuse so that it stops? Yes, of course it is. You tell them that the Buddha disagrees. Then explain what "right speech" actually means. If they are saying that, then they have a misunderstanding of it. I would think the Buddha has a better understanding than they do, of what right speech is. Rely on the scriptures of what right speech is and isn't, because they clearly show that it is not wrong speech.

I found this interesting too:

How to admonish another skillfully

"O bhikkhus, a bhikkhu who desires to admonish another should do so after investigating five conditions in himself and after establishing five other conditions in himself. What are the five conditions which he should investigate in himself?

[1] "Am I one who practices purity in bodily action, flawless and untainted...?

[2] "Am I one who practices purity in speech, flawless and untainted...?

[3] "Is the heart of goodwill, free from malice, established in me towards fellow-farers in the holy life...?

[4] "Am I or am I not one who has heard much, who bears in mind what he has heard, who stores up what he has heard? Those teachings which are good alike in their beginning, middle, and ending, proclaiming perfectly the spirit and the letter of the utterly purified holy life — have such teachings been much heard by me, borne in mind, practiced in speech, pondered in the heart and rightly penetrated by insight...?

[5] "Are the Patimokkhas [rules of conduct for monks and nuns] in full thoroughly learned by heart, well-analyzed with thorough knowledge of their meanings, clearly divided sutta by sutta and known in minute detail by me...?

"These five conditions must be investigated in himself.

"And what other five conditions must be established in himself?

[1] "Do I speak at the right time, or not?

[2] "Do I speak of facts, or not?

[3] "Do I speak gently or harshly?

[4] "Do I speak profitable words or not?

[5] "Do I speak with a kindly heart, or inwardly malicious?

"O bhikkhus, these five conditions are to be investigated in himself and the latter five established in himself by a bhikkhu who desires to admonish another."

— AN V (From The Patimokkha, Ñanamoli Thera, trans.)

If blowing the whistle on (admonishing) another is wrong speech, then why do the scriptures contain advice about how to do it skillfully? The scriptures contain advice on how to engage in wrong speech skillfully?? I don't think so!

• Thank you for the reference, Seeker242. Raising the abuse issue for discussion here in the past brought "wrong speech" accusations, and quotes about not finding fault in others, but to examine oneself for faults. The impression I got from observing exchanges like that was that Buddhism developed in order to suppress dissent. But I see now from your textual quote, that this was an impression I got from incorrect interpretations of text. This stresses the importance of textual study. Unfortunately, Vajrayana teachers don't teach the Pali Canon. I can see my education is lacking. I've learned a lot on this site.
  • there's only 5 precepts, those 10 sound like rules... which encourage dogma, which is one of 10 fetters than ties samsåriputra (samsaric beings/wandererers) to dukkha (suffering).
  • Quote compassionate warrior:
    "How would you suggest preventing any problem from developing? Although it seems to me that once such a lama has arrived at the sangha, it's already too late. This brings up the question: how to screen for this type of problem when selecting a lama? Sangha members never have input into who the administration chooses to invite for a residency."

My experience is not in Tibetan style Buddhism, but the problem is probably the same in any Buddhist group.

I don’t think unfortunate accidents can be avoided. But I do think structural abuse can be prevented.
    Taking the problem seriously is a good start.
    Don’t expect teachers to be perfect and don’t interpret every one of their farts as an expression of ultimate wisdom.
    Keep your feet on the ground.

Don’t give all the power to one person. Keep the control over the money away from the spiritual teacher.
    Get some lay people in charge of the organization who can fire the teacher when he makes a mess.
    It’s probably all in the guidelines you mentioned.
    I would be interested in reading them.

Also create a culture of transparency. Welcome people to participate in talks about the way things are going in the group. Don’t leave it all up to the teacher.
    Abuse happens when too much power is given to a person who is unable to handle it.

Recognize unrealistic ideas about the person of the teacher as a danger.
    Speak up when “dissidents” are being humiliated and ridiculed.

When I look back this is what embarrasses me the most.
    People were humiliated in public and the lot of us thought that such behavior from the teacher was probably very wise in some deep hidden way.

• edited January 2011
    i'm pretty sure zen and lay zen especially allows a lot of flexibility in moral uprightness or whatever you should call it. these are guiding principles, but breaking them whether out of a real and sincere weakness or situational ethics or one's own sense of subjectivity or whatever is necessary. we should always stay true to the heart. if this includes dissing the three treasures as three pleasures then we ask pardon and move on and keep eating.
  • edited January 2011
    It sounds like you learned a lot from the experience, zenff, so at least something positive was gained. The importance of speaking up, especially when part of the group is trying to silence someone, is key. I'd prefer to establish an open atmosphere from the start, but we're not always in a position to do that, if we join a group that's already been underway for some time.

My guidelines didn't delve as deeply as yours, but you can see them on the "The Teacher-Disciple Relationship: How to Get It Right, What TO Do When It Goes Wrong" thread. Not all my questions went answered. What we got was the best we could do given the climate here at the time. If you feel you have something valuable to add, you could revive the thread.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Morale discipline is a must do ! :)
  • Pietro said:
    “i'm pretty sure zen and lay zen especially allows a lot of flexibility in moral uprightness or whatever you should call it.”

I think I understand what you’re saying.
    There’s no need to be overly moralistic between zen-practitioners and I don’t think I’m being narrow minded.
    So what exactly is abuse?

For me it comes down to taking advantage of people who think you are something like a living Buddha.
    Or taking advantage of the fact that people think their relationship with you (no matter what you do to them) will bring them closer to enlightenment.

People who get abused are on unknown territory when they are with their spiritual teacher.
    The teacher is not.
    This should make him/her very reluctant to do anything that could be seen as taking advantage of the student. Don’t you agree?
  • Compassionate Warrior,
    I will look for that thread and read it soon; but this weekend I ‘m busy with the family.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    In the past, members here have said that the student has 50% of the responsibility; if they allow the abuse to happen, why put all the blame on the teacher? The concept of professional responsibility and ethics, vulnerability of the student for the reasons you mentioned, and the principle of fiduciary trust were not commonly-held concepts. It wouldn't be a bad idea to educate not only visiting teachers about these basic principles, but also sangha members.
  • Yes, absolutely.
    Sangha members need to wake up.
  • The root of all the precpepts and guidelines is to relieve suffering and destroy the cause of suffering. Promote happiness and equinimity. It is unfair to tell yourself that you will never dissent. That can't be right. Because in some cases it is compassionate. That being said it does take skill and until we are buddhas and bodhisattvas we will continue to make mistakes with regularity.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    zenff, one of my ideas was for dharma center staff to brief visiting teachers on principles of sexual harrassment, professional ethics, etc. when they pick them up from the airport, i.e. before they begin teaching. To have sort of an orientation for them. I think that would open their eyes, and would be an unusual enough occurrence, that they might end up telling others about it when they return to Asia. Word would start to get around that the situation in Western sanghas isn't as loosy-goosey as rumor (and reports of Chogyam Trungpa's and others' exploits) would have it. What do you think? I think it's not enough to get the word out to students and prospective students that they need to check out their teacher and their sangha thoroughly before committing. Teachers need to be educated, as well. Some come over here with certain expectations that aren't appropriate.
  • edited January 2011
    I'd like to see all sanghas adopt Jack Kornfield/Spirit Rock's guidelines for teacher ethics. If visiting teachers (as well as regular teacher staff) had to read and sign a contract committing to abiding by the requirements, that would be a big step in the right direction, and probably would send signals back to Asia. It couldn't hurt, that's for sure.
    Yes, absolutely.
    Sangha members need to wake up.
    And lamas, yogis, roshis, teachers need to be educated about ethics, possible legal ramifications of misconduct, etc.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I just found this online:

"When teachers break the precepts, behaving in ways that are clearly damaging to themselves and others, students must face the situation, even though this can be challenging, criticize openly, that's the only way." HH the IV Dalai Lama

More on the meeting between Western dharma ctr leaders and HHDL on the subject of teacher abuse of students here: http://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy-controversial-teacher-group-center-questionable.html

• I found an analysis online of the rules regarding sexual misconoduct, and on the list of women with whom it's improper to have sex (married women, women under the care of their parents/underage women, etc.), students are included. Because in the old days, students actively studying under a teacher were supposed to be celibate while undergoing the course of study. But the rule still holds, from back under the Servastavadins.
  • In the past, members here have said that the student has 50% of the responsibility; if they allow the abuse to happen, why put all the blame on the teacher? The concept of professional responsibility and ethics, vulnerability of the student for the reasons you mentioned, and the principle of fiduciary trust were not commonly-held concepts. It wouldn't be a bad idea to educate not only visiting teachers about these basic principles, but also sangha members.
    The ethical standards of the Sangha should be superior to those of the world.

However, in the world, if a school teacher, doctor, manager, etc, transgress their fiduciary trust responsibilities, they generally cop 100% of the repercussions.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    The ethical standards of the Sangha should be superior to those of the world.
    Good point. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Legal responsibility is not what I mean by responsibility. I don't mean it in the sense of who is to blame. If someone sends there personal information to the liberian e-mail saying they won 10 billion dollars the sender of the e-mail is to blame in the sense you are saying. But the person who fell for it is stupid. Not a direct correlation to the case of teacher and student of course.

If it were made a law that selling heroin is illegal but shooting it is legal. And someone dies of an overdose. Then technically 100% of the legal blame is on the seller. Yet at the same time it is unreasonable to say the user played no causitive role in the outcome.

That being said it doesn't mean that the user or dupee is 100% causitive either.

When I was in highschool the classroom was very naughty and abusive to one of my teachers. They did nothing legally wrong but they were jack asses. Eventually the teacher snapped and threw his desk at one of the students. He was a big guy. Now the teacher is to blame but the students had a causitive role. That teacher switched to teaching prison inmates and those people treated him with respect and he enjoyed it.