Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'd love to...

edited January 2011 in General Banter
meditate in this room! Haha!

http://audiojunkies.com/forum/blog/4335-quietest-place-earth-orfield-labs.html

Here is a small reading from the article. "Silence is a truly rare thing. All reverberation is removed? all sounds that aren't coming from your own body disappear. After a few moments in the anechoic chamber, you'll begin to feel a touch jumpy. Hearing your heart beat, your blood pulse, the sound of your own ear buzzing and your body functioning like you've never heard before has a tendency to be a bit unnerving. And in complete silence, you lose all sense of space and surroundings. The absence of reflected sound and reverberation makes "feeling out" the room impossible."

Comments

• In the latter days of the Beatles, George Harrison used to go into an "isolation booth" at the EMI Studio on Abbey Road to meditate. He said it helped him get through some of the tensions that would arise within the band during that time.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    A Beatles fan! Hi, Chari rama. I take it you're new here; welcome. :)

I've had my most unusual/profound meditation experiences in soundproof rooms.
  • Sounds a bit overwhelming to me! Personally I enjoy meditating in loud or distracting environments, it's good practice. It makes meditation in silence that much more enjoyable.

I even meditated in the mall while my girlfriend was shopping. I just sat straight in a chair outside the store and practiced calm abiding :)
  • All I can think of is the cone of silence from "Get Smart!" :)

How about this? Meditate under a palm thatched palapa situated at the end of a long dock that juts out into the turquoise blue waters of the Caribbean, with no sound but the water lapping under you and the gentle trade winds blowing past you. That's how I spent new years week meditating :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    All I can think of is the cone of silence from "Get Smart!" :)

How about this? Meditate under a palm thatched palapa situated at the end of a long dock that juts out into the turquoise blue waters of the Caribbean, with no sound but the water lapping under you and the gentle trade winds blowing past you. That's how I spent new years week meditating :)

OK, Mts.--we know you were in Belize. We're envious. Happy? ;)
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I've read a story of a master who could not meditate in a city, so he went into a retreat up a mountain. Then he was disturbed by birds, so he plugged his ears. So he was disturbed by his heartbeat.

Don't know what happened next. I guess he let go.. Still, he stayed in the retreat for some years. :)