Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

George Best

edited December 2005 in General Banter
In Tibetan Buddhism is there any way of guessing if George Best will have a human rebirth?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    In the normal run of events, I don't believe there are any guarantees, HH.... But if we're thinking specifically of Mr. Best, without being judgemental, he's got quite a mixed bag of Karma, there.... no doubt he will be greatly missed by many.
    We're actually watching a tribute programme on TV as I'm writing......
  • edited November 2005
    Sorry federica,
    I am just playing. I felt sorry for Best as he seems to be a product of wealth and greed. I do not doubt his gift on the pitch but this support network as a young player at MUFC was sadly lacking.
    He must of been a lonely man. I hope he comes back as the next Best but without all the crap that he had to endure. Maybe that is a contradiction in terms.
    As I knew someone who grew up to be a proffesional soccer player and play at the top level of the game. I truth he wasn't the brightest and had little regard for fame until it came his way.
    He is now a deluded monster.
    As for George Best maybe he will come back as something more positive.

If you don't mind I would like to say I am always grateful to you for your kindness in replying to my posts
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Thank you HH.....:o :)
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2005
    SPeaking of MUFC.... It's sad to see it just crumble... Glory glory Man United!!!!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I used to meet George Best at his son Callum's sports days as the lad was at school with No.2 son. My own impression was of a delightful man who was remarkably at ease with his own skill and, even more astonishingly, with his own weaknesses. He was a "breath of fesh air" in those Maidenhead surroundings of English nouveaux riches and snobs - he made the tedium of sports day bearable.

May he rest in peace and rise, to whatever is to come, in glory!
  • edited November 2005
    Simon,
    Thanks for that insight. I am of the impression that being a pro footballer is a bit like joining the Armed Forces. You don't have to think for yourself and the manager rules the team like the Great Dictator. The only difference is you are on a least $15,000 at top flight these days. It must really screw up your mind. But in truth I have little or no sympathy for them, most professional soccers player I have met are vain beyond belief and socially disfunctional.
    Why can't we celebrate our teachers, doctors or road sweepers.

Whats needed is a wage cap and the end on Murdoch's monopoly.Oh and the Red Brigade to take out FIFA and the G16 elite.

Give the game back to the masses...comrades
  • Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
    edited November 2005
    A tribute to Georger Best for the joy he brought to many..
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Simon,
    Thanks for that insight. I am of the impression that being a pro footballer is a bit like joining the Armed Forces. You don't have to think for yourself and the manager rules the team like the Great Dictator. The only difference is you are on a least $15,000 at top flight these days. It must really screw up your mind. But in truth I have little or no sympathy for them, most professional soccers player I have met are vain beyond belief and socially disfunctional.
    Why can't we celebrate our teachers, doctors or road sweepers.

Whats needed is a wage cap and the end on Murdoch's monopoly.Oh and the Red Brigade to take out FIFA and the G16 elite.

Give the game back to the masses...comrades

Being ex-military myself (12 years ago-pre Buddhist days for me) I take exception to the comment made about the armed forces. just because you are in the military does not mean you don't think for yourself, quite the contrary, important decisions are made instantaneously and hopefully correctly, every day.
    My own experience was in pushing-the-boundaries of military thought, much to the chagrin of many of my superiors, in fact, I made it my business to do so for the entire 9 years that I was in.

Not all of us are mindless automatons.
    I'm tattooed as well, does that make me a criminal biker?
  • edited November 2005
    I would say you sadly you might be the exception, if I am wrong I apologise.There is as you know an element of physic and mental conditioning which takes place when you join the forces sometimes and it depends of what regiment you join it can be ritualised. I have a hunch you would of had to follow a chain of command in which orders are delt to soldiers. I think I am right in saying as a soldier you have duty to follow orders.
    This is exactly like many Soccer teams but the have someone from the club to cut their lawn for them.

However if I recall songwriter Billy Bragg was also in the military and look at him now. In fact the former Italian Soccer International Roberto Baggio was a Buddhist. He played in the America World Cup final. Some of you might recall Diana Ross opening the competition. So I guess you could rightly say I am guilty of making sweeping generalisations.

Xrayman you have had the vision to see though my unfocused arguement. I must admit I don't know any tattooed criminal bikers never the less I don't doubt you are a soulful person.

Forgive me, I have made a spectical of myself.

HH

PS.What tattoo do you have?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Herman,

I understand. I am not offended by what you say, It's just that sometimes we all say/write things that don't "gell". I think I've been on a personal vendetta for a while to show that (strange as it may seem) some military types care a great deal about human life-Who is more likely to be killed in a war, a Soldier or civillian?

Consider this, at one time perhaps we will be called upon to save our lives/our team's "life", or "its him, or me"it is our job. In the military, not all of us want to be "Lean, Mean fightin' machines" (STRIPES).

From my own personal history, I used the Air Force to provide me with the best radio/Radar Training in Australia-not once did I want to go to war-My days were when the Iraq/Kuwait 90-92 situation arose-I put my hand up to say I was a concientious objector-Boy, did that go down well-NOT!

I certainly appreciate your reference to Billy Bragg (I'm actually a keen fan of his), have you ever heard the song "Like Soldiers Do"? It's about the Falklands war.

"I never thought that I would be,
    fighting Fascists in the Southern sea,
    Saw one today and in his hands,
    was a weapon that was made in Birmingham".

Billy Bragg.

But I digress, I like the banter that this site produces and encourages-so keep up the good work. all is okay.
    you have not made a spectacle of yourself-maintain the rage -as they say.

PEACE-and I really mean that!

P.S.
    since you asked, I have an eight-spoked Celtic Knot that is similar to the DharmaChakra that I use for my avatar.
    And a chinese character that says "Earth", down to Earth is my interpretation of it
    edited November 2005
    I also have two 'Buddhist-oriented' tattoos - and I am a Criminal Biker. Once, when I was a little girl, I was pedalling through a park, and I saw a small sign, that said "do not step on the grass". So I did.....
    Boy, I tell you, when I'm bad, I'm really bad......:p
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2005
    maybe I should stop replying
    edited November 2005
    ....Now wouldn't that be a shame....?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Xrayman,

It has been my pleasure to meet quite a number of senior army officers over the years. I have yet to meet one who is in favour of war!

My best experience was on a singing workshop. One of the other members, Colin, and I got chatting. He turned out to have been a very senior soldier: Downside, Sandhurst, etc. After he had finished his years in the army (and fighting in a number of our wars), he 'retrained'. When I asked him about his 'retraining' he told me that he was now a Catholic priest. I asked him how the two careers fitted for him and he replied: "A unquenchable thirst for justice."

Any soldier who wants to go to war should be cashiered immediately!