Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hippie talks about the universe

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy

Thoughts? Does this guy have it figured out?

Did the Buddha say the sky isn't blue? I've heard a zen monk say the sky never said it was blue. Did he say phenomena and observer are one?

What do you think the deep meaning is?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Sure. Qualities do not exist in the object inherently. If the air was a different chemical composition, if the light was a different wavelength, if your eyes had different cones and rods, the sky would not appear blue.

The blueness is dependent upon all those conditions.

An oft quoted metaphor in the sutras is that of a person with jaundice or glaucoma: everything they see is either yellow or blurred.
  • LOL - I thought you were joking when you said you were going to post a thread with this title ;)
  • I think he made a bit too much of a jump at 3:56. The frames per second at which we paint the image is very low, so that's definitely not at the speed of light. The amount of processing from what goes into our eyes, to what's rendered in our minds is massive. So, we're only seeing a little bit at a time then our brain paints the picture to give an illusion of continuity and clarity.

I guess my point is that we don't have to keep up with the speed of light in order to perceive light.
  • You want to know how much of Reality your brain fills in for you? This might be a good place to start:

• upalabhava, that's a new one to me. Thanks.
  • That whole series is good. Shows how much we rely on sight over all the other senses.
  • edited January 2011
    IMO? This "Hippie" and most people should:

Understand that language is faulty. It does some things very well and yet, regardless of one's persuasive locution, it does most other things with great vagueness and imprecision.

Everything we experience is the product of human invention. That's it. We're trapped. With death as the exception, there's no going outside human experience for us.

What's "behind" what we experience is HUUUUGE. One may be able grab a teeny bit of direct experience of this HUGE-OSITY but one will never be able to _communicate_ anything about it.

Borrowed references from modern day physics are very misleading when used to make a point like the "Hippie" above. The physics lay people hear about and can understand are simplifications and rough analogies that come from the implications of arcane mathematics.

Need proof?

When they talk of what will happen to you when you reach the event horizon of a black hole? It's ridiculous because no human being will ever ever be able to experience such a thing! It makes sense -mathematically- but when you put it in lay people's terms you have meaningless images like those which promise that great supernatural mystery is about to unfold. In fact such non-mathematical interpretations have about as much relevance as good fiction like _Alice in Wonderland_.

I'm still working on it. That's what I have so far. FWIW. :bowdown:
  • I am curious about your justifications of the black hole arguments. As an amateur astronomer and Buddhist, I can safely say that black holes play a very important role in your life. There is a supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, in which we live! Without it, there would be no Milky Way, and no us.
  • Buddha7, I don't think roger said otherwise.

I think the point was that a lot of science takes form of equations, but for us to understand it, we need visuals and 'car analogies'.
  • edited January 2011

Thoughts? Does this guy have it figured out?
    Did the Buddha say the sky isn't blue? I've heard a zen monk say the sky never said it was blue. Did he say phenomena and observer are one?
    What do you think the deep meaning is?
    Is a skillful way of Buddhas applying the dogmatic wordings and identification of naming it "sky and blue" in the mundane world for wisdom and loving kindness!!! Blackhole is liken to Buddha nature that without it, nothing can possibly standalone or either enter nihilism.
  • ShiftPlusOne,

Maybe I misunderstood. However, we can see the effects of a black hole! Look at our universe, and how it rotates around the central point. You can also see how other stars interact with a black hole.
  • Buddha7, yup, I understand. I don't think Roger was saying black holes doesn't exist or that we can't see the their effects. I don't want to speak for Roger, so I am not going to elaborate on what he may or may not have meant.
  • edited January 2011
    Hi guys. What I mean is this (I think :D ). Black holes do what they do and they do exist.

OTOH, People ("hippies" especially hahaha! just kidding trying to be funny referring to guy in video above) like to get all amazed by them (and MANY other facts of modern physics). For instance they like to marvel "spaghettification," what will happen to you if you interact with a black hole, you will go into another dimension, time will stand still(?) etc etc.

That is all well and good except for the fact that no human being will EVER experience a black hole like that. They will be killed. Same thing with going the speed of light and not aging. How will the human body deal with it's near-infinite mass which it will gain when approaching c? It won't. These are impossible things so nothing supernatural will come from them. It's like becoming and angel and wondering if coca cola will still have that fizzy feeling as you drink it down.

IOW, modern physics implications stated in lay terms really is all sizzle and no steak. Therefore I was suggesting don't get mystified by implications expressed in these terms.

When I said everything is a human creation, I mean it. The universe is still an extremely marvelous place, but whatever __we__ experience will have zero supernatural content.

The closest to supernatural we can experience is a sensation of profound infinite "hugeness" and wonder and awe when deep in meditation. Of course trying to communicate that experience will be impossible. HUMAN attempts to interpret the "meaning" of that experience or speculating on it's significance WILL be possible. But except for the direct experience of the ineffable everything else is the something and the everything WE created as human beings. We as this teeny tiny little pinprick of mind which is stuck in this brain and body with sense organs for approx. 80 years.

Just my limited POV. I'm not totally sure of this. I just am wondering. I'm not saying other POVs are wrong. :)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I doubt that the guy is a practicing buddhist or anything.
  • @Roger My partner is an applied mathematician (aka physicist). She says exactly the same thing you do, and also that lay peoples understanding of quantum physics is completely inadequate. I like your Alice in Wonderland analogy.

My partner and mathematician friends used to like to collect books which tried to learn spiritual lessons from physics. They used to laugh at them and sometimes posted choice sections on the Cambridge University maths department notice board.

Many of my partner's friends have spiritual beliefs. They just don't base those beliefs on physics.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Sorry I found this interesting thread so late.

The correct Zen saying is, "First sky is blue and grass is green. Then sky is not blue and grass is not green. Finally, sky is blue and grass is green."

Sometimes mountains are mountains and trees are trees is substituted.

What does this mean? It is a riff on "emptiness is form, and form is emptiness" from the Heart Sutra. A very deep teaching. Sky does not have an inherent "blueness". Sky is not always blue, and in fact is not independent of the sun and atmosphere and position of the planets and even your eyesight. So sky is not blue. The concept of blue sky is empty of form. "Form is emptiness" seems to be the stage that the man is stuck at.

And stuck he is, as he goes on to riff about physics and duality and such. Because while there is no inherent, independent, permanent form, there is perceived, transient form. This morning, when I walked outside, sky was white, ground was white. It was snowing. So tomorrow, maybe clear sky and blue sky. Emptiness is also form. That is the second half of the statement.

So is the sky blue, or not? I would say to him, "Is the sky blue? Answer the question, "Yes" I will pick up a stick and hit you. If you say, "No" I will pick up a stick and hit you. Now, what do you say?

That is Zen.
  • edited January 2011
    @Roger My partner is an applied mathematician (aka physicist). She says exactly the same thing you do, and also that lay peoples understanding of quantum physics is completely inadequate. I like your Alice in Wonderland analogy.

My partner and mathematician friends used to like to collect books which tried to learn spiritual lessons from physics. They used to laugh at them and sometimes posted choice sections on the Cambridge University maths department notice board.

Many of my partner's friends have spiritual beliefs. They just don't base those beliefs on physics.
    YAY Beta!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I too like science and math and think its great. It results in technology which can improve the lives of billions. Science reveals great mysteries which create delight and wonderment and will never cease to amaze us. Alas, science/math can never answer "ultimate" questions.
  • Woah. Really liked the video. Just a different way of looking at what many of us have already been saying, in regards to the illusory nature of time.
  • Alas, science/math can never answer "ultimate" questions.
    Neither can religion/spirituality, for that matter.
  • edited January 2011
    Alas, science/math can never answer "ultimate" questions.
    Neither can religion/spirituality, for that matter.

Absolutely. :thumbsup:

It's a reminder perhaps for some people drawn to rely on Science (upper case 's') as a venue into "ultimate" Q&A activity. :D