Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

growing up is hard to do.

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
hello all,
i am currently going through a very exciting and terrifying time in my life, lol. you see, i am 25 and have just quit one of my jobs in order to pursue a real career whose success and failure depends squarely on my shoulders. at times, i feel elated and very excited, but mostly, i feel panicked. i did not actually WANT to quit my other job, but they were not willing to work with my new availability so it was the only option left for me. the job i left was working in retail that involved an hourly pay rate (stable), the new job is working as a massage therapist which is unstable and depends on my clients. while the pay may fluctuate, i typically make 3-4 times as much per week working as a MT, so monetarily speaking, the choice was pretty clear for me.

what am i looking for here? i suppose, just some sort of advice on how to handle these fears. while i have been a registered massage therapist for 5 years, i have never solely depended on it for my income. a part of me is sad to realize that i am growing up, lol. i've been used to crappy jobs that didn't care if i called in or not and now i have to take my life so much more seriously. the only comforting thought i have is something my grandmother told me regarding her business endeavors, she said, "i've always lived by the belief that if you take care of the business, the business will take care of you." and in her case, it did.

i think that what i am finding here is that change is nearly as difficult for me as it is to actually believe that i can support myself. life just seems so much easier when you have someone else setting your shifts for you and telling you what to do. why is it that every morning i worked my retail job, i dreamed of calling in. and yet, now that it's gone, i long for its stability? i know i have made the right decision, but why does it seem so terrifying? surely someone can offer some sort of insight for this stepping stone in my life.

edit: this probably should have been in general banter, sorry mods!

Comments

• growing up is tough. i just turned 21 and i'm beginning to realize that i have to find a job soon, start a career.. all that stuff. honestly all it is is a matter of confidence.. i started a mindfulness meditation practice not too long ago and from this i've gained a grounding in reality and thus i can accept the changes that reality bring. i've also seen that this entire world is based on intelligence and that most can use their brains to work. so instead of creating this drama for yourself, accept reality. we grow up inevitably, we have to work to support ourselves (and it's smarter to work for more money), and reality is just as it is. everything that happens here is just as it is unless you create something out of it. just go with the flow you're not a kid no more. :)
  • I understand what you mean. I am quitting my retail job this week(ish) since I don't feel that I belong there any more.

I'd have to agree with your grandmother. If you're good at what you do and treat each client as a human being rather than a stream of income, you'll be fine. Seems like it's a word of mouth sort of business you're in, that can be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you go about it.

While you have this income stream, save up some 'screw you' money. Normally 'screw you' money is money you save up so that you don't have to be afraid of being fired or put up with workplaces which mistreat you. In your case it would be money that you have saved up so that you don't have to fear a shortage of clients.

If your fear is more-so about the 'next step', then that's just normal. You could channel it into excitement... the only people I know who claim to be happy with their jobs are those who work for themselves. You've got a good future ahead, I'd say.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    why is it that every morning i worked my retail job, i dreamed of calling in. and yet, now that it's gone, i long for its stability?
    You know what they say, the grass is always greener...
  • Good heavens guys... I'm 48, nearly 49, and have just embarked on the career field I *hope* is what I want to be when I grow up. I'll let you know if I ever do grow up. But that seems highly doubtful at this point. Don't worry too much about what's going to happen for the rest of your life when you're only in your 20s. If you'd told me when I was 25 what I'd be doing when I was about to turn 49 I'd have called the looney squad to come pick you up. And I will tell you that quitting my current job to go back to school full time (yet again) in the current American economy was *damn* scary. You just have to hold your nose and jump into the deep end sometimes.

:)

• Fear arises because most of the times one thinks too far over themselves. The success and wealth of beings are governed by past deeds of kindness and generosity, coupled with diligent, it bears fruits either very easy or very hard to come by depending on the degrees of kindness and generosity. You should explore Buddhism to understand your mind/heart so that you are not manipulated by economy but instead manipulate economy through frugality and simplicity. Youth is great, buddhism is helping you to maintain youthful mind/heart. Spared some times everyday to meditate on Om Mani Padme Hum or Buddha Amitabha :om:
  • Good for you =) Keep working hard and create your own structure based on your new independence. It's important to be self-motivated and to have faith in the choices that you've made. Remain mindful, kind, generous, loving, and energetic in all your endeavors. Good luck
  • edited January 2011
    My simplistic advice: You don't have kids. You're in good shape. That way the fear is manageable