Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I am that I am

edited January 2011 in General Banter
The only way that you can really describe reality is to say "there is what there is." Any attempt to expound upon what is takes away from what is, and therefore is an imperfect description. When you understand that "what is" is simply you, then there is another way of describing it. "I am that I am." Sound familiar? If not, it's what God says his name is in the bible. Very interesting. It really is the truth. But it's not some external God. It's you. It's me. It's all that there is. I am that I am.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You're also not what you're not.
    I think the concept of self/Not-self makes the "I am that I am" (sorry, can't help but think of Popeye!)too simplistic and overly inaccurate.
    The Buddha, upon enlightenment saw things as they really were, and they were what they were, because they were what they were.
    This is entirely different to your thread title....
  • You are what you are sure. But you are not what you think you are. Thats the whole point of emptiness.

"Things aren't as they seem. Nor are they otherwise"
  • You're also not what you're not.
    I think the concept of self/Not-self makes the "I am that I am" (sorry, can't help but think of Popeye!)too simplistic and overly inaccurate.
    The Buddha, upon enlightenment saw things as they really were, and they were what they were, because they were what they were.
    This is entirely different to your thread title....
    What is inaccurate about "there is what there is?"

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Nothing at all. As I pointed out. Your thread title, which reads "I am that I am" is debatable, however.

• edited January 2011

Nothing at all. As I pointed out. Your thread title, which reads "I am that I am" is debatable, however.

Imo it's just the logical consequence. Think about it. Let's start with the point that we both agree on. There is what there is. If all there is is what is, then what am I? Based on the initial statement, I can not be separate from what is, or else I would be what is not. And there simply is what there is. Therefore I am what there is. Therefore "there is" in "I am what there is" can become "I am". Therefore I am that I am, as the bible states.
  • If not, it's what God says his name is in the bible. Very interesting. It really is the truth. But it's not some external God. It's you. It's me. It's all that there is. I am that I am.
    AHIH is the name rendered as "I am that I am". The similarities with the Holy Name YHVH are obvious. If the Bible is viewed through the lens of the Qabalah, one can see the parallels with Buddhism. One has to look no further than the Ain Soph to discover shunyata in another guise.

"I am that I am" definitely refers to a mystical state. In the Hindu system of tattvas, this is Sadashiva.

Imo it's just the logical consequence. Think about it. Let's start with the point that we both agree on. There is what there is. If all there is is what is, then what am I?
    A composite of the 5 skhandas, as opposed to uncontrollable occurrences, events, incidents and happenings orchestrated or haphazard.
    Based on the initial statement, I can not be separate from what is, or else I would be what is not. And there simply is what there is. Therefore I am what there is. Therefore I am that I am, as the bible states.
    Well, if you're going to get biblical or theistic, I don't see the point of continuing. I gave that book up as largely fiction years ago, and frankly, what it says no longer concerns me. But I deem your statement inaccurate, according to Buddhist concepts.
    And as this is a Buddhist website, I tend to lean towards that side of discussion....
  • edited January 2011
    I'm just trying to find the truth within all religious traditions. Am I what is, or am I not what is? I feel like you're not even reading what i'm saying. What do the aggregates have to do with anything? Why do you feel the need to mindlessly say key buddhist terminology as if you have no idea what they mean. People that feel the need to use the same terms that buddhists everywhere throw around over and over show their lack of understanding. They're just repeating what they have heard, afraid to say anything of their own. Have your own thoughts! You don't need to be a recorder set replaying things you have heard. I can record a dharma talk if that's what I want. I want to talk to YOU, not a tape recorder.
    :whatever:

Trust me - you're talking to me. I know and understand the kalama sutta. I am giving you my opinion. if you don't like it, I really don't care. I'm not really bothered about saying what you want me to say, or what you want to hear. I've said what I've said, and am happy with that.
    If you're not, then that's your problem.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    The only way that you can really describe reality is to say "there is what there is." Any attempt to expound upon what is takes away from what is, and therefore is an imperfect description. When you understand that "what is" is simply you, then there is another way of describing it. "I am that I am." Sound familiar? If not, it's what God says his name is in the bible. Very interesting. It really is the truth. But it's not some external God. It's you. It's me. It's all that there is. I am that I am.
    Hey, TheJourney, interesting thoughts. Let me just offer a couple of things for you to think about that may help you state them more solidly, and that may help you to fend off future criticisms if you feel so inclined.

To me, the above statement seems to not only assume existence, but of a 'I' in relation to that existence. From a logical point of view, it might be a good idea to provide some kind of justification for the premise that 'what is' exists, and then another justifying that there exists an 'I' in relation to that existence. As it is, it relies on the tautology 'what is, is.' This doesn't make it invalid, but it doesn't make it very convincing either.

Next it might be helpful to address how the above works in relation to Buddhism. It may be argued, for example, that the above is a form of metaphysical subjectivism that conflicts with certain aspects of Buddhist philosophy.

For example, Descartes cogito (a type of metaphysical subjectivism) conflicts with the commentarial tradition of Theravada in that Descartes assumed thoughts imply a thinker, whereas Buddhaghosa drew the opposite conclusion, based upon the teachings on dependent co-arising and not-self, that there's no thinker independent of thoughts (see The Path of Purification, pg. 513 and What the Buddha Taught, pg. 26).

It may not seem like a very big distinction, but without establishing some basis for the knowledge of existence, or for the need of an 'I' in relation to existence (or a mover in relation to movement, a thinker in relation to thoughts, etc.), it'll be harder to defend.
  • That is one of the troubles i'm finding. I feel like the only way I can make someone see what I see is for them to have lived my life and had all of my experiences and thought all of my thoughts. That is impossible. So, I simply say what I think and hope that some people are on a similar place and they can understand and be helped by what I say. I guess I just need to find that special place that fully justifies what i'm saying without having to give my whole life story.
    edited January 2011
    I guess I just need to find that special place that fully justifies what i'm saying without having to give my whole life story.
    Naw, it's just that the way you state things often resembles syllogisms and other types of logical arguments, and since I've been reading about philosophy lately, I thought I'd give you some tips that may help you express your thoughts in a more 'convincing' way.
  • Yea, I appreciate it. I'm trying to write a book so any help on being more convincing is good. It's funny, I used to want so bad to be convincing so people would see. Now I must force myself to be more convincing, because I don't care to make people see if they don't want to.
    TJ, honestly - I wish I could say that statement makes sense, but I can't...

I think what may work for you is to completely stop wanting to be so convincing, and just go with the flow. There is no need for force, there is no need to be convincing. the only one who needs to be utterly convinced, is you. speak plainly, don't be cryptic, because truly, it's articulate, but it's not clever. Speak your truth simply, and let things ride smoothly.
    You're trying too hard.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I saw on youtube someone sort of explained why God said I am that I am.

She said I am was God's name or something. I think the scripture is God is who the prophet or whomever is to say sent them. And God said I am that I am has sent you or something like that.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Our infatuation with such things, such as "I am that I am", is testament to our mind's spiritual realisation.

When we do not know the Buddha & the Dhamma, our mind's ignorance & self-grasping falls back on these religious books & phrases.

Instead of discerning them with wisdom, our mind discerns them with ignorance & infatuation. Our mind gets all excited with whatever religious notions it reads.

Our mind bounces off concepts, from concept to concept, imagining similarities between quite discordant ideas.

I must confess, my mind has been through this. It is best described as "drunkenness"

When I reflect back on it, it was like my mind was very deluded. It is quite embarrasing.

We are yet to see "what is what".

Take care with inter-faith.

:-/
    edited January 2011
    What is the best way to iron out or get rid of our interfaith delusions?

Visit various religious groups, especially various Christian groups.

Generally, these people & groups will have absolutely no interest in what we are raving on about.

:)
  • edited January 2011
    I desire to see the truth in all faiths not because I believe it is ultimate truth, but because it can help people who are inspired by that faith to see higher truths than what they are aware of currently. But you can say i'm deluded if you want, I don't care :)
    edited January 2011
    Your post seems illogical & contradictory.

Your post states: "I desire to see the truth in all faiths".

You use the words "the truth". The impression gained is your description of your intention is not flawed. It is indicative of the nature of your posts on this thread.

The impression gained is you desire to see "the truth", that is, "one single truth", that is, what you personally subjectively regard as "the truth", in all faiths.

The impression gained is you do not desire to see the various truths in various faiths but desire to see "the same truth".

In reality, each faith has its unique truths or truth. Also, many faiths (religions) share similar truths.

In interfaith inquires, we must be careful to discern the mutual truths and discern the non-mutual truths.

All the best

• Let me be clear up front that I am simply sharing my views. I don't care to convert you, and I hope you don't care to convert me.

All that is is what is, and what is is everything. Therefore everything is true. Yet because it is all true, none of it is true.
  • Well, the Bible, to my knowledge, states:

Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

[Alternatively: "I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE"]

edited January 2011
    To me, the term "I AM WHO I AM" is a statement of authority.

The Buddha also used a statement of authority. This authority he called 'Dhamma Niyama' or 'The Law of Nature'.

It follows both religions share assertions of authority or lawfulness. This 'truth' is the same.

But their respective basis of lawfulfulness are different.

The Buddha said:
    "Monks, whether or not there is the arising of Tathagatas, this property stands — this steadfastness of the Dhamma, this orderliness of the Dhamma: All processes are inconstant.

"Whether or not there is the arising of Tathagatas, this property stands — this steadfastness of the Dhamma, this orderliness of the Dhamma: All processes are unsatisfactory.

"Whether or not there is the arising of Tathagatas, this property stands — this steadfastness of the Dhamma, this orderliness of the Dhamma: All phenomena are not-self.

"The Tathagata directly awakens to that, breaks through to that. Directly awakening & breaking through to that, he declares it, teaches it, describes it, sets it forth. He reveals it, explains it, & makes it plain."

Dhamma-niyama Sutta

The I AM of the Bible imparted moral law. That is all. To me, I AM WHO I AM is not intended to be a transcendent notion. It is simply like a father or school teacher laying down the moral law to children.

Thinking about it some more, what you said also reminds me of a type of monism in that it could also be saying that existence can be viewed as a unity (or perhaps even a single substance a la Spinoza). This is quite similar to the underlying concept behind Shankara's version of Advaita Vedanta (assuming 'I' = atman and 'what is' = Brahman).
  • edited January 2011
    Ummm...there pretty much is a unity. But, the unity is no set thing. The unity is ever changing. That's really what it is, is change. And change is everything. Therefore everything is the ultimate, but it is simply an expression of the ever-changing. It's a unity because within every expression is the totality of what is.

• "I AM" Concept From Moses to Ken Wilbur [to TheJourney]

edited January 2011
    Ummm...there pretty much is a unity. But, the unity is no set thing. The unity is ever changing. That's really what it is, is change. And change is everything. Therefore everything is the ultimate, but it is simply an expression of the ever-changing. It's a unity because within every expression is the totality of what is.
    Sounds a bit like Heraclitus' universe—composed of fire (unity of substance) and always in flux (ever-changing).

The problem with asserting that everything is a unity or oneness is that one has to account for change and the appearance multiplicity. For example, Shankara (as well as Heraclitus to some extent) did this by asserting that the appearance of change and multiplicity was ultimately and illusion, that everything is Brahman and Brahman alone is real (or, in the case of Heraclitus, all things are simply a manifestations of fire).

The Buddha, on the other hand, took a more pragmatic approach, side-stepping the metaphysics of cosmology in favour of his unique contribution to Indian thought, dependent co-arising (SN 12.48).

• See I don't believe that there is a set thing that everything makes up. The change IS the only real thing. There is nothing aside from change that is real.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Our infatuation with such things, such as "I am that I am", is testament to our mind's spiritual realisation.

When we do not know the Buddha & the Dhamma, our mind's ignorance & self-grasping falls back on these religious books & phrases.

Instead of discerning them with wisdom, our mind discerns them with ignorance & infatuation. Our mind gets all excited with whatever religious notions it reads.

Our mind bounces off concepts, from concept to concept, imagining similarities between quite discordant ideas.

I must confess, my mind has been through this. It is best described as "drunkenness"

When I reflect back on it, it was like my mind was very deluded. It is quite embarrasing.

We are yet to see "what is what".

Take care with inter-faith.

:-/
    ... posts like that keep me coming back.
  • You're also not what you're not.
    Love it! :D

• See I don't believe that there is a set thing that everything makes up. The change IS the only real thing. There is nothing aside from change that is real.
    Indeed, so where is the I? If there is only change and awareness is not separate from change, then 'I' is simply a label on the ever-changing happenings.

For you to say 'I' you would also need an 'other.' Without an other, 'I' doesn't make much sense. If there is no other then there is no I. Of course, the tendency to grasp is very strong, so what many traditions do is identify with awareness and say I am That. But, who is identifying? There is nobody.

• Interesting that no one, not even DD with all his knowledge of the Tanakh, has suggested that the Hebrew statement heard by Moses has been mistranslated for centuries. The text makes it clear that the voice from the 'burning bush' is giving Moses its name, and the Hebrew (Eyah asher eyah) can be translated as "I am (Eyah) he who is named (asher) Ea (Eyah)". "Eyah" is then, here, the West Semitic (i.e. Hebrew) variant of Ea, one of the names of Enki (cf. the Epic of Gilgamesh). Enki is, as we all know, don't we?, the Sumerian god who created humanity and who warned Utnapishtim/Noah of the upcoming flood. This also serves to explain why the Flood narrative is included in Genesis.

• Pesky mistranslations.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2011
    On one occasion the Blessed One was staying in Saketa at Kalaka's park. There he addressed the monks: "Monks!"

"Yes, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said: "Monks, whatever in the cosmos — with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, its generations with their contemplatives & priests royalty & common people — is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, pondered by the intellect: That do I know. Whatever in the cosmos — with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, its generations with their contemplatives & priests, their royalty & common people — is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, pondered by the intellect: That I directly know. That has been realized by the Tathagata, but in the Tathagata it has not been established.

"If I were to say, 'I don't know whatever in the cosmos... is seen, heard, sensed, cognized... pondered by the intellect,' that would be a falsehood in me. If I were to say, 'I both know and don't know whatever in the cosmos... is seen, heard, sensed, cognized... pondered by the intellect,' that would be just the same. If I were to say, 'I neither know nor don't know whatever in the cosmos... is seen, heard, sensed, cognized... pondered by the intellect,' that would be a fault in me.

"Thus, monks, the Tathagata, when seeing what is to be seen, doesn't construe an [object as] seen. He doesn't construe an unseen. He doesn't construe an [object] to-be-seen. He doesn't construe a seer.

AN 4.24

Saying "I am that I am" is construing a seer, is it not?
  • edited January 2011
    "I am that I am?" That means "I am because I am," right?

That would mean, "I exist because I exist," which is the same as saying, "Red is the color red."

Extending this it could mean, "I'm meat because I am meat." IOW, I am just a piece of meat to a carnivore literally (red meat) and figuratively (the lion does not care about my good personality).

Double meanings abound but that does not mean the person who makes the statement has any intention of expressing those meanings or even understands that s/he's implying them.

Could be a mentally retarded..., er..., I mean..., mentally challenged or ingenious answer depending on the question that is asked.

WOW. Look at how much "computing power" these human brains have compared to the vagaries of language! No wonder things get out of control, meaning-wise, so quickly.

Oops! Sorry. Too much coffee! :D

:coffee:
  • People have a hard time understanding my words because they still see the world through the lens of duality. My words imply no seer. The seer is the seen, and the seen is the seer. Anything is everything.
    edited January 2011
    See I don't believe that there is a set thing that everything makes up. The change IS the only real thing. There is nothing aside from change that is real.
    I see. In that case, this kind of reminds me of something I read in Bertrand Russell's A History of Western Philosophy. While discussing Heraclitus' doctrine of perpetual flux [which is similar to the Theravadin samsara, literally 'wandering on'], he goes to discuss how:
    Science, like philosophy, has sought to escape from the doctrine of perpetual flux by finding some permanent substratum amid changing phenomena… Unfortunately it seemed that protons and electrons could meet and explode, forming, not new matter, but a wave of energy spreading through the universe with the velocity of light. Energy had to replace matter as what is permanent. But energy, unlike matter, is not a refinement of the common-sense notion of a "thing" [which can be compared to the notion of selfhood (atta)]; it is merely a characteristic of physical processes (emphasis mine). It might be fancifully identified with the Heraclitean Fire, but it is the burning, not what burns. "What burns" has disappeared from modern physics.
    (Compare that with what the Buddha says in SN 12.35.)

But reifying this change still raises questions of its own like, What changes? Energy? If yes, then to be consistent, you'd have to modify your position that there isn't a set thing. Or, at the very least, you'd have to add an additional proposition equating energy with change, making it simply the characteristic of material processes (a thing that's no-thing).

However, even if we don't introduce energy into the equation, the question of, What changes? can still arise. Or, Why is there change in the first place? And, if there's an element of self-identification involved in this change (e.g., 'I am what there is'), How does one escape suffering (How does one escape from change)?

For example, Buddhism has the concept of elements (MN 115) in conjunction with this/that conditionality (SN 12.61), so in that sense, it recognizes the reality of change. Conditioned phenomena, which are inherently void of self, arise and cease dependent upon conditions, and persist for only as long as the conditions for its existence persist. Suffering arises due to ignorance and self-identifying with selfless, changing phenomena.

But at the same time, Buddhism doesn't commit itself to a metaphysical cosmology of oneness or manyness, nor does it reify change, leaving open the possibility of the mind abandoning ignorance and turning away from conditioned phenomena towards the deathless element (MN 64), the permanent stilling of fabrications and stressful qualities that's said to lie at the end of the path (Iti 37).

This conception of nibbana as an actuality — variously described as an element (dhatu), a base (ayatana), a reality (dhamma), a state (pada), etc. — implies the reality of an absence of change as well. However, if change is the only thing that's real, that doesn't seem to leave much room for the Buddhaghosan nibbana.

But this isn't a very big problem if we limit nibbana to its practical, psychological effects: the cessation of attachment to changing phenomena, the self-identification of changing phenomena and the elimination of the desire for changing phenomena to be other than it is.

So in the end, I think your 'truth' that change is the only real thing can lead to the abandonment of the mental components that give rise to suffering by pointing out the inconstancy of phenomena (anicca), and by consequence, their selfless nature (anatta). The only hang up I see is the seeming reification of change as a 'real thing,' and the possibility of identifying with it (I am change/changing phenomena).

It's a more subtle form of self-view for sure, but a self-view nonetheless—one that could potential prevent the mind from fully liberating itself from clinging to phenomena that are neither fixed nor stable by making the unfixed (anicca) stable (atta).
    edited January 2011
    People have a hard time understanding my words because they still see the world through the lens of duality. My words imply no seer. The seer is the seen, and the seen is the seer. Anything is everything.
    Yes, non-duality can be notoriously hard thing to explain or point to verbally. Again, a lot of what you say reminds me of Vedanta in that it's coming at this from a non-dual perspective, essentially saying there's no distinction between self (atman) and reality (Brahman). The main difference is that you take the opposite route when it comes to the appearance of change and multiplicity, saying that it alone is real/reality (Brahman) whereas Vedanta would say it's only an illusion (maya).
  • I appreciate the discussion.

My whole thing is that I urge people not to get caught up in my words. You are right, if you view change as some sort of thing than you still have a view of self. But change is no thing. Nothing changes. "Change" is everything. It is just a word used to describe everything. But really "change" is no real thing, it is just the best way to describe how there is no lasting self, imo.
  • People have a hard time understanding my words because they still see the world through the lens of duality. My words imply no seer. The seer is the seen, and the seen is the seer. Anything is everything.
    Yes, non-duality can be notoriously hard thing to explain or point to verbally. Again, a lot of what you say reminds me of Vedanta in that it's coming at this from a non-dual perspective, essentially saying there's no distinction between self (atman) and reality (Brahman). The main difference is that you take the opposite route when it comes to the appearance of change and multiplicity, saying that it alone is real/reality (Brahman) whereas Vedanta would say it's only an illusion (maya).
    I prefer to look at it as reality. But really, reality and illusion are just words that have no true meaning when speaking of the ultimate nature of things. I believe reality is a better way of describing the ultimate, but really neither reality nor illusion are perfect descriptions.
    edited January 2011
    I appreciate the discussion.

My whole thing is that I urge people not to get caught up in my words. You are right, if you view change as some sort of thing than you still have a view of self. But change is no thing. Nothing changes. "Change" is everything. It is just a word used to describe everything. But really "change" is no real thing, it is just the best way to describe how there is no lasting self, imo.
    I totally understand. The only hang-up for me is when you say things like 'I am what there is,' which can be mistaken for 'I am change' (I = change). This leaves the door open for self-view, or at least the misperception of self-view on the part of others.

I totally understand. The only hang-up for me is when you say things like 'I am what there is,' which can be mistaken for 'I am change' (I = change). This leaves the door open for self-view, or at least the misperception of self-view on the part of others.
    Yea I see what you're saying. I guess i'm just trying to create a self-view that solves the problems of having a self-view. What I say can satisfy our innate desire for their to be a self, as well as get rid of the problems of believing in a self.
    edited January 2011
    Yea I see what you're saying. I guess i'm just trying to create a self-view that solves the problems of having a self-view. What I say can satisfy our innate desire for their to be a self, as well as get rid of the problems of believing in a self.
    It's not a bad tactic. This is, in a sense, the Buddha's approach as well; except that he doesn't start from a non-dual point of view, but a pragmatic one of refining our sense of self to a point where we see that self-identification, even of the most refined sort, is a form of clinging and that the only skillful thing to do at that point is to let it go.
  • I'm entertained at the different ways we try to say the same thing.
  • edited January 2011

Actually there are several different viewpoints within Vedanta on this. The mayavada or vivartavada approach of Adi Shankara is just as you have outlined. However, there is also the parinamavada approach of Ramanuja that views appearances as real transformations of Brahman and it is perhaps to this that the OP's viewpoint has most similarity. Midway between the two in a sense is the abhasavada approach of Vidyaranya that looks at the world as being a sort of pale reflection of the fullness of Brahman.

Vedanta is tremendously rich, as it has accommodated the conversation with Samkhya on the one side and buddhist philosophy on the other. As with most of other aspects of what we call Hinduism, there is more of a continuum of beliefs than any monolithic, definitive central ideas.
    I'm entertained at the different ways we try to say the same thing.
    Me too. :)
    Actually there are several different viewpoints within Vedanta on this. The mayavada or vivartavada approach of Adi Shankara is just as you have outlined. However, there is also the parinamavada approach of Ramanuja that views appearances as real transformations of Brahman and it is perhaps to this that the OP's viewpoint has most similarity. Midway between the two in a sense is the abhasavada approach of Vidyaranya that looks at the world as being a sort of pale reflection of the fullness of Brahman.

Vedanta is tremendously rich, as it has accommodated the conversation with Samkhya on the one side and buddhist philosophy on the other. As with most of other aspects of what we call Hinduism, there is more of a continuum of beliefs than any monolithic, definitive central ideas.
    Excellent points, @karmadorje.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I appreciate the discussion.

My whole thing is that I urge people not to get caught up in my words.
    If that is the case, then wouldn't a good solution be, to stop talking so much? :p If ultimate reality cannot even be spoken of, then why continue speaking? This is why Zen Masters say things like: "shut up and just eat breakfast". This is also the reason why they say things like "Nothing that I can say can help you". The only thing that can ultimately help someone is for them to do their own practice and find the wisdom it brings. You can't give people wisdom no matter how hard you try.

I think what some people are trying to point out, in other threads also, is that a non-dual point of view, is still a point of view regardless. While the Buddha simply did not harbor any view to begin with. Neither dual, nor non dual, both would simply not be applicable. As it says in the above post "but in the Tathagata it has not been established"

My whole thing is that I urge people not to get caught up in my words.
    If that is the case, then wouldn't a good solution be, to stop talking so much?

:p
    What fun is that? And if I do then they will simply cling to another persons words, at least my words help people to not cling.
  • anatman means a negation ("a") of the hindu view of soul ("atman")...
  • How is this related to the currently in-vogue phrase "it is what it is"? I find that to be one of the more irritating things I've heard people spouting recently. Of course it is what it is. That's redundant. If it were something else, it would be that, right? So everything *has* to be what it is. Otherwise it would, by definition, be something else. Right?
This discussion has been closed.