Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where to begin??...

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I have looked through some of the posts and have not seen any question like mine so I'll ask it and I hope I'm not repeating old posts.

I'm currently looking into Buddhism and one of the main hurdles that I keep running into is Meditation.

I have no problem with it, during my once a week meditation class. But at home, it's a different story.
Any suggestions as how to get past the distractions of my home, so I can practice there?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Oh how I empathise! It has taken me years to install a routine of meditation at home on a regular, daily basis. It is, I believe, one of the hardest things to do: with a group, we are supported (and shamed) but alone? No way!

My own experience is that it comes with rigourous practice, strict self-discipline and a commitment to it as a way of life. After a while (only a decade or so) it becomes the "line of least resistance".
  • edited November 2005
    I'd agree with Simon. I'd also add that it's a good idea to bring the target up close, so to speak. Try starting with around 5 minutes per day and let it build naturally. Also, bear in mind that Buddhist meditation is not about shutting ourselves off from what is happening around us, so 'distractions' become part of the whole process.
    edited November 2005
    I should like to add that just because you may smile more and be an kinder, more easy-going person on Buddhism does not mean that your own practice is actually any easier. In fact, the contrary is true.

It is a mistake that is common to the early stages of any spiritual path to se it as easy. It may look easy and very attractive but it is also a slow, hard grind. I know that the idea of discipline is an alien one in many modern contexts but the spiritual journey demands high levels of discipline. This is also true of just about anything worth doing: making a garden, becoming a stand-up comic, writing a book, learning an instrument. They all need application and discipline.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    ....Perhaps folks would like to look in on the 'Eightfold Path' thread, as this week's 'Spoke of the Wheel' is 'Right Effort......? What a very appropriate topic! :)
  • edited November 2005
    Thank you all!
    I think my excuse was that I was required to start at home and meditate for an hour, which was disheartening to think of. I'll do it in steps to get practice.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    ...."From the little acorn, the might oak doth grow...."

Or to put it another way, which suits my sense of humour..

"Don't worry if the going's rough,
    And the rewards seem few,
    Remember: Once the might Oak
    Was just a nut - like you!"
    edited November 2005
    Ejoty wrote:
    Thank you all!
    I think my excuse was that I was required to start at home and meditate for an hour, which was disheartening to think of. I'll do it in steps to get practice.

I have found it more fruitful to go for quality rather than quantity, Ejoty.
  • edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    "Don't worry if the going's rough,
    And the rewards seem few,
    Remember: Once the might Oak
    Was just a nut - like you!"

:lol::lol: Oooo...I've only been here for a day, and my personality has already been pegged!

Thank you two! I'll just keep reminding myself to relax and slowdown and not to expect instant results.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    As they say regarding "time"...

It's not what ya got, but how you use it.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    I don't know how some more seasoned buddhists will react to this, but I went out and bought one of those "nature sounds" cds and listen to the water trickling in the brook track. It helps me to stay focused.
    edited November 2005
    As you are probably aware... we're pretty militant Buddhists here.

If any of us find out you've been listening to a cd to meditate by - you're going to be kicked out of the club.

-bf

P.S. I think listening to a cd when meditating is just fine.
  • edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    As you are probably aware... we're pretty militant Buddhists here.

If any of us find out you've been listening to a cd to meditate by - you're going to be kicked out of the club.

-bf

P.S. I think listening to a cd when meditating is just fine.
    :rockon: As you can probably tell...I'm in the habit of stepping on eggshells when speaking.
    edited November 2005
    Actually, I think more seasoned Buddhist may tell you that maybe you shouldn't listen to a cd while you are meditating. Since meditation is being aware of the moment and focusing. And that maybe having an external noise isn't allowing you to focus inwardly.

But then meditation is also to be aware of what is going on around us - as with people that practice walking meditation - being mindful of each step and what it takes to accomplish each step.

I think that it is fine to start off with something that possibly allows you to enter a peaceful environment for meditating. I mean, what about the people that live next to the ocean when they meditate? They certainly can't turn the volume down.

You may even find - in the future - that you no longer wish to listen to something when you are meditating. I'm sure as you progress - you will change in many ways.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Nothing wrong with listening to a CD of nature sounds. It's not meditation as such, but it certainly won't do you any harm.
  • edited December 2005
    Oooo...even more great advice! Thank you all!
    That was my next problem of wonderings "do I or don't I use a CD?"
  • edited December 2005
    All of the students in my martial arts class (including my self) have an opportunity to sit in meditation before we begin our warm-ups. Sometimes we use a CD, other times we don’t use the CD. I always remind the students (and myself) not run off your feelings during meditation. Instead I ask them to consider what they are feeling. "Will it be a hard work out tonight?" "What's for dinner?" "This is boring!" I also ask them to consider the quiet. With this practice I feel that I am able to "consider the quiet" more and more. Sometimes a student will tell me they feel like they had a “sucky” performance during class or during meditation. I tell them it was "sucky" only because they called it such. It is hard not to get attached to results! Sometimes I tell my self “Tonight’s class is going to be awesome! I have a killer lesson plan; all of my students are coming what could go wrong?” Well guess what? Only two will show up on time, halfway during our meditation another two will show throwing the whole class off of kilter. My attachment to what I wanted the class to be caused me dukkha. It is the same way for meditation. If I go into it expecting to become more something or getting rid of something my grasping and yearning mind will find dukkha. Meditation has become the practice of being aware to me. When I work on the farm, drive my car, play with Amaya, eat lunch, I use awareness as a type of meditation. Are there distractions? Sure, there will always be distractions! For me simply being aware of my condition (even if my mind is bouncing all over the place) is the purpose of meditation.
    Mike
    edited December 2005
    We used to do meditation ~after~ hellacious sparring sessions.

I remember our instructor used to tell us to relax and bring our breathing down - while I was sitting there gulping huge amounts of air just trying to get my heart-rate back down.

I don't think I did much in the way of meditation as much as I was just trying not to pass out!

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    Great Food-for-Thought. Thanks!
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited December 2005
    I too empathize with you Ejoty. I have carefully gone to great lengths, possibly too many, to build a small shrine/altar in my home for offering and meditation but a shrine does not always automatically make a great meditation place. My home is a itsy-bitsy 660 square foot victorian cottage and I share it with a roommate and two delightfully perky pug dogs. Every time I try to meditate I am constantly distracted by prancing Pugs and the many other hazards of living in such close quarters.

I wish I had the answer to your question about eliminating distractions at home but it would seem that as newcommers to this practice we are so easily distracted. Arghh! What does the Buddha say about ear-plugs?
  • edited December 2005
    Distractions are not to be eliminated.
  • edited April 2006
    I vanished for a while, but I thought I would pop in and let you know how things have been going for me meditation wise. I still have not got my act together and sat down at home and meditate, yet I do feel that I'm getting it together to do it. I have been struggling with my identity and even though I wanted/want to meditate, I was and am doubting that I was going the right way. I do feel more confident that I am doing the “right thing” and I read what you said to me before and where I “thought” I understood what you all were saying to me, I realize that was not true, I read it now and it really makes sense now! I just want to say thank you all again for the advice.
    edited April 2006
    Ejoty wrote:
    I vanished for a while, but I thought I would pop in and let you know how things have been going for me meditation wise. I still have not got my act together and sat down at home and meditate, yet I do feel that I'm getting it together to do it.

As I'm often drawn to say -

" 'Do' or 'Do not' - there is no 'Try'. "

Nice to see you back with us Ejoty.... :)
  • edited April 2006
    Thank you, Federica.
    I'll try to not vanish again, now that I'm feeling more comfortable with where I am heading spirituality wise.
    edited April 2006
    Cool!! Pop kettle on.... :)
  • edited April 2006
    Ejoty,
    While meditating I look at what I'm thinking and let it pass. Grasp at nothing and be attached to nothing.

esau

Opps to a lie, I grasp at my stupid internet connection that now sometimes works and cry out in despair!!!!! WHY!?