Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

just when my practice starts improving...

edited January 2011 in Meditation
i start trying to attain a state of mind when i sit. i know it is there because i have started to experience it. but a couple of hours ago while meditating i could barely get "here" because my mind was constantly trying to get "here". i know it's very paradoxical but for anyone who understands this problem...

any thoughts? or words of encouragement?

and to anyone doesnt know what i mean by this state of mind i talk about. i can describe it as the place where breathing is all that i need

Comments

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    Don't try to do anything or attain any state... if it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't... Let go of your need for expected results... you only cause yourself suffering.... Buddhism is about letting go... don't cling to anything... our meditation should be in alignment with our practice...

But I'm only a beginner and this is only my humble opinion...
  • Johnathan is exactly right-- your expectations are disturbing you. The "here" you are trying to get to is just a thought. Let go of it. I would reframe the whole exercise as simply relaxing and being with yourself. Just say, "I am just going to sit here and be me quietly for the next ten minutes."

That's it. Thoughts will come up, so just gently remind yourself what you are doing and just return to watching the breath or focusing on a point on the ground, whatever you are comfortable with. Initially, it will seem like your mind became very busy all of the sudden. What is really happening is that you have become quiet enough to see the constant activity of your mind. This is likened to a waterfall. With repeated familiarity, this will lessen and eventually become like a wide, slow moving river but don't force things. Just let things take their course very naturally and non-aggressively.

Keep your sessions short and pleasant and repeat them rather than trying to sit for long stretches at one time. Above all, enjoy your own company and relax. It should not be a hardship to just be yourself.
  • Relax from the need to get anywhere. Try letting go instead. :)
  • I had exactly the same thing happen to me. When I had a great experience, the next time I sat down on the cushion to meditate I wanted to replicate that experience but I never could again.

Experiences arise when you let go. When you come to the cushion with expectations, you are not letting go so you will not see any experiences arise. Just let go and whatever happens, notice it.

It's only when I let go that experiences arose again but they were different experiences. So, just let go.

• I know exactly what you're talking about.

Focus on establishing the foundations of a good meditation session, and let the rest unfold naturally.
  • Dear dr_arpie,

This is an encouraging step, as you are now noticing a deeper level of thought, and now that you have named and seen it, it should dissipate with practice and time. In the meanwhile, think about what it is you are trying to achieve by trying to attain a state of mind, as enlightenment is not a special "state of mind". BEING is on the money... and so are the others... AND eventually you will find that what you seek has been there with you all the time: everyday is a good day! Every breath has unfathomable beauty... all you have to do is sit there and enjoy the show (As Sylvia Boorstein says: It's easier than you think!).
  • To me, it is important that there is nothing to achieve or attain that you do not currently have. If you can understand this, then there is no longer a need to strive for anything.
  • Get interested in your experience as it is. Not sure what state you are talking about but it might be a dull state meaning you are not open to the world. That would not be a state conducive to gaining incite and cutting through ignorance.