Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism, dogma's and reincarnation

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Greetings,

I've always been someone that doesn't accept dogmas, Buddhism has always been very appealing to me because there aren't (m)any dogmas in the teachings. However one point I've always found a bit dogmatic is the idea of reincarnation. I'm rather "agnostic" to the notion of returning as anything after I die. Now I'm reading the novel "Siddartha" by Hermann Hesse, in which Siddartha (not Siddartha Gotama) has a moment where he is planning to drown himself because he wants to end the suffering he inflicted upon himself. But at that moment he hears an "Om" and sees everything clearly, instead the old suffering Siddartha dies and he is now "Self-awakened". In this aspect he is still alive yet reincarnated.

Should I see reincarnation like this? How do you see reincarnation and how do you respond to dogmas?

Comments

• Hi there. Reincarnation is the topic most often troubling people who are beginning to explore Buddhism. It doesn't help that the Buddhist sect most people are familiar with in the West, Tibetan, is unusual in their literal transmigration teaching. That's not how most Buddhists of the world practice.

The answer is, there's no creed that insists people believe in literal reincarnation. Many Buddhist do believe, and that's OK. Many Buddhists, especially in the West, don't. Talk of reincarnation is in the old Sutras, after all. But, for Buddhists, the concept that actually needs to be understood is rebirth. This is part of the second scene you describe.

• Hermann Hesse's Siddartha has little in common with Buddhism. I was very disappointed with that book. I suggest if you want to understand Buddhism, seek reputable sources. A good place to start is www.buddhanet.net.
  • Before worrying about dogmatism about rebirth/reincarnation (which has been flogged to death), why not worry about a much more fundamental proposition, i.e. that there is a way out of dukkha, the Third Noble Truth. Does no one else notice that it is a presupposition that has to be accepted before we have any chance of calling ourselves 'Buddhist'.

Time and again I read people asserting that the Noble Truths are self-evident. Are they?
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Siddhartha is a nice novel, but not much to do with Buddhism, as Vangelis said.

Regarding dogmas, I never felt Buddhism was dogmatic in the sense that "you must believe this or else...". But there are some teachings which may be difficult to accept (like rebirth). Personally I try to keep an open mind, see how it fits with the rest of the teachings and how it affects my practice. There is no proof whether rebirth happens or not (though there's been some compelling research done by Dr. Ian Stevenson). I think believing in one life is as much a "dogma" as rebirth. But I simply don't know, and I don't see the issue as essential to the practice.

P.
  • As I'm not a real practitioner of buddhism, rather someone that's interested in it, I don't know how Siddartha has little to do with Buddhism. I know the protagonist isn't a buddhist but aren't a lot of the things he experiences and thinks related to buddhism and in some cases even exactly the same?

I'll definately check out the link you suggested tho, Vangelis, but every now and then I prefer to read a novel instead of teachings. :)

Cinorjer, how do the people that believe in it, believe in it? It seems to me that reincarnation is used for people to live a good and honest life and that's the reward, kind of like heaven for christians. But in my opinion to live a good and honest life is something that's a reward in itself, isn't it? Why do people need that "reward"?

Simonthepilgrim, I think the fact that people are suffering less by following the eigthfold path makes it so that it is believable that there's a way out of dukkha. This to me seems more a "see for yourself, then believe" thing than a "believe and act accordingly and then you'll never find out" thing. :)

Either way, my view about the issue is the same as you sattvapaul, I'm rather agnostic in all these things. :)
  • @supertramp: The fact that Buddhists suffer less by following the Noble Eightfold Path can be deemed 'anecdotal'. After all, I know Christians who assert that their faith reduces their suffering and anti-Buddhist atheists who claim that their suffering is less since they took up belief in science. We also probably all know people who have reduced their suffering by the use of prescription (or recreational) drugs.
  • edited January 2011
    That's very true, when a christian suffers less by following their dogmas I don't see myself in a position to contradict it. I wouldn't see fact that they suffer less any more a dogma than the fact that buddhists suffer less when they follow the noble eightfold path. It's more the reasons why they suffer less that I consider dogmatic or even untruthful.
    The same goes for drugs for that matter, was it not Karl Marx that said religion is the opium of the people.
  • And what about counter-examples? What about those who have tried the N8FP and found no reduction in suffering? We don't hear from them here but I'll bet they are out there.
  • The Noble 8-Fold Path:
    Right View
    Right Intent
    Right Livelihood
    Right Speech
    Right Action
    Right Effort
    Right Mindfulness
    Right Concentration

In what way POSSIBLE could adhering to such noble and encompassing virtues lead a person to greater suffering? I can understand doubt or apprehension toward the validity rebirth, as only personal insight and wisdom can illuminate the nature of such a process, and doubt leads to analysis, leads to wisdom and understanding. But to doubt the virtues and effects of living a life led by the 8-fold path, is to doubt the human potential for change, liberation, self-realization, happiness, and enlightenment. No wise person could ever doubt the virtues of such a path.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Cinorjer, how do the people that believe in it, believe in it? It seems to me that reincarnation is used for people to live a good and honest life and that's the reward, kind of like heaven for christians. But in my opinion to live a good and honest life is something that's a reward in itself, isn't it? Why do people need that "reward"?
    :)
    The thing to realize about reincarnation is, it was never seen as a reward then or now but as a trap that one should desperately try to escape from. Even being reborn as a higher caste human just meant you were in for another life of suffering. Pain, heartbreak, fear, sickness, old age and death knows no caste restrictions.

And a person still faced a struggle for liberation, with failure the most likely outcome. Think of reincarnation as an unending series of tests, and one failure takes you back to where you started. On top of that, each failing grade remains on your record and is factored into your future lives. Given this, the ultimate goal is to free oneself from the wheel of reincarnation entirely. To graduate. That was the reward.

Against this backdrop, Buddhism substituted the concept of rebirth. We are, in a real sense, being constantly reborn minute by minute. Birth, life, and death are all part of this constant change. Instead of concentrating on the death part of existence like other religions, we focus on the life part, and see little distinction between birth and death and the life between. So where do you go to after death? The same place you came from before you were born. It doesn't matter what you believe, in Heavens or Hells or Reincarnation or Nothing, all anyone can change is their actions right now. In Buddhism, eliminating suffering in this life is our focus, its own reward.

Hope this helps.
  • Cinorjer, how do the people that believe in it, believe in it? It seems to me that reincarnation is used for people to live a good and honest life and that's the reward, kind of like heaven for christians. But in my opinion to live a good and honest life is something that's a reward in itself, isn't it? Why do people need that "reward"?
    The thing to realize about reincarnation is, it was never seen as a reward then or now but as a trap that one should desperately try to escape from. Even being reborn as a higher caste human just meant you were in for another life of suffering. Pain, heartbreak, fear, sickness, old age and death knows no caste restrictions.

And a person still faced a struggle for liberation, with failure the most likely outcome. Think of reincarnation as an unending series of tests, and one failure takes you back to where you started. On top of that, each failing grade remains on your record and is factored into your future lives. Given this, the ultimate goal is to free oneself from the wheel of birth, death, and reincarnation entirely. To graduate. That was the reward.

Against this backdrop, Buddhism substituted the concept of rebirth. We are, in a real sense, being constantly reborn minute by minute. Birth, life, and death are all part of this constant change. Instead of concentrating on the death part of existance like other religions, we focus on the life part, and see little distinction between birth and death and the life between. So where do you go to after death? The same place you came from before you were born. It doesn't matter what you believe, in Heavens or Hells or Reincarnation or Nothing, all anyone can change is their actions right now. In Buddhism, eliminating suffering in this life is our focus, it's own reward.

Hope this helps.
  • Well said Cinorjer
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, I didn't think about the part that the goal is to break the cycle when I wrote the post (eventhough I knew this, it seems it escaped my thoughts). Eventually however it doesn't matter to make my point, the "reward" with reincarnation in the old sutras was that you could break this cycle. I still don't understand why they had to (perhaps) "invent" this reincarnation and breaking from the "invented" cycle as a reward to lead a good and honest life. It seems like inventing "hell", introducing it to a bunch of people that will say "oh gosh what a miserable idea!" and then say "but hey, we have a solution so you won't go there!" (I hope I don't offend anybody by saying invent or comparing to christianity, it is just that I'm not sure if reincarnation exists or not and I don't see how anybody can be sure about it).

The new concept of rebirth however I can find myself in completely. However this does seem a bit like how even the catholic church is saying "don't take the bible too literally" just so they can keep having followers or keep them from looking bad for believing. I hope I don't seem too criticizing, it's not my intention to criticize but to understand.
  • edited January 2011
    Simple, if you can understand what the clinging ego is, you can understand why reincarnation is tough to understand.

Simple put: reincarnation means "I" will be reborn. Explanation-wise, we expect more than that (darn that ego! ;) ).

What da heck does that mean? What is "I?" What does the small print in the contract say about the nature and composition of _I_?

Nobody knows the small print. It's beyond our ability to comprehend, because, of course the universe and beyond is so incredibly HUGE how can we expect to comprehend the fine print?

I think it's enough to say some kind of continuity exists over time having to do with the current existence of this "I" we all individually perceive.

Want that continuity to be a positive experience? Want that continuity to be one with more understanding and less suffering? Well then.., the Law of Karma might be a good one to stick on your refrigerator. :D

Oh, practice meditation, the answer to this question of R, the "fine print" if you will, might become clearer. That's just a ____guess_____ I'm making based something I heard from a guy who heard it from a guy who read something. :D

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Question to Zen Master: What happens after you die, are you reborn or reincarnated?
    Zen Master: I don't know I haven't died yet. It's dinner time, where are the potatoes?
  • Yes, I didn't think about the part that the goal is to break the cycle when I wrote the post (eventhough I knew this, it seems it escaped my thoughts). Eventually however it doesn't matter to make my point, the "reward" with reincarnation in the old sutras was that you could break this cycle. I still don't understand why they had to (perhaps) "invent" this reincarnation and breaking from the "invented" cycle as a reward to lead a good and honest life. It seems like inventing "hell", introducing it to a bunch of people that will say "oh gosh what a miserable idea!" and then say "but hey, we have a solution so you won't go there!" (I hope I don't offend anybody by saying invent or comparing to christianity, it is just that I'm not sure if reincarnation exists or not and I don't see how anybody can be sure about it).

The new concept of rebirth however I can find myself in completely. However this does seem a bit like how even the catholic church is saying "don't take the bible too literally" just so they can keep having followers or keep them from looking bad for believing. I hope I don't seem too criticizing, it's not my intention to criticize but to understand.
    Well, yes, it's strange to you because your mind is finding it doesn't make sense of the world as you understand it. Part of being human is the ability to create imaginary constructs and metaphores in our minds. But that's not good or bad, only an intelligent, conscious mind trying to make sense of the world. Confusing the imaginary with reality is a pretty much universal problem. It's also how our minds work, but some people are better at it than others. Belief in reincarnation is no different from being able to believe in a multitude of things without proof. UFOs, or ghosts, or ESP, or whatever.

Our minds insist on making sense of the world. When a parent looks at the miracle of a new baby, we know where the physical body came from, but for most of our history, we had no idea of genetics or cell division or how that baby began to form. So, our mind's imagination filled in the blanks. So where did the person in that body come from? And when the baby grows up and develops a unique personality, where did that come from? Our minds fill in the blanks. Reincarnation is one possible answer. A person's ability to believe what seems to make sense does the rest.

The metaphysical and mystical elements are there, since it is an ancient religion, but Buddhism also makes a statement about the human experience and how to find purpose to our lives that is unique. As suggested, focus first on the Noble Truths and see if that makes sense to you. From there, it's up to you.

• Hi all,

I recommend that you take a few moments to read "Anatta and Rebirth " by Ajahn Buddhadasa for an excellent teaching about these matters.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books7/Buddhadasa_Bhikkhu_Anatta_and_Rebirth.pdf

with kind wishes,

D.

• However one point I've always found a bit dogmatic is the idea of reincarnation.
    Should I see reincarnation like this? How do you see reincarnation and how do you respond to dogmas?

An afterlife itself isn't a dogmatic idea. Nor is a singular life. It is when these ideas are attached to or pushed as essential, true or obvious that they become dogmatic. Skeptics and athiests are often just as dogmatic as those who believe in an afterlife.

Why care how others see rebirth?

I guess the only time we should care is when views are pushed, dogma.

A method you may use with any question of dharma, rebirth, sex, drugs, rock and roll, is to see if it fits. Start with the three marks, move through the four noble truths and the eightfold path and then into your pure experience, unfettered by anything external. If all along it belongs, then I would imagine it is dharma. This to me is the essence of the dharmic method of enquiry.

namaste

• Question to Zen Master: What happens after you die, are you reborn or reincarnated?
    Zen Master: I don't know I haven't died yet. It's dinner time, where are the potatoes?
    LOL, that is pretty much what my Tibetan teacher said "I expect when I die I'll find out" :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I have practised buddhism for some years and rebirth & reincarnation have never played any role in my faith, understanding or practise.

The Buddha taught believing in reincarnation is not a factor of the path to liberation.

The Buddha taught reincarnation belief promotes morality or harmlessness.

Therefore, if you are not inclined towards reincarnation belief, then simply drop it (rather than wasting time distracting oneself).

Kind regards

This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

Sabbasava Sutta
  • edited January 2011
    This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

Sabbasava Sutta
    Its absolutely pointless speculating about past or future lives,pay attention to to the here and now, because this is the lifetime that's the important one.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

Sabbasava Sutta
    Its absolutely pointless speculating about past or future lives,pay attention to to the here and now, because this is the lifetime that's the important one.

I agree Dazzle the time for practise is now, Future lives are yet to come speculate on them no futher then of the suffering they shall bring if we do not make the effort now. :)
  • Abandoning Possessions & Views

"Monks, you would do well to depend on a view-dependency (ditthi-nissaya), depending on which there would not arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair. But do you see a view-dependency, depending on which there would not arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair?"

"No, lord."

"Very good, monks. I, too, do not envision a view-dependency, depending on which there would not arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair.

"Monks, where there is a self, would there be [the thought,] 'belonging to my self'?"

"Yes, lord."

"Or, monks, where there is what belongs to self, would there be [the thought,] 'my self'?"

"Yes, lord."

"Monks, where a self or what belongs to self are not pinned down as a truth or reality, then the view-position — 'This cosmos is the self. After death this I will be constant, permanent, eternal, not subject to change. I will stay just like that for an eternity' — Isn't it utterly & completely a fool's teaching?"

"What else could it be, lord? It's utterly & completely a fool's teaching."

Alagaddupama Sutta: The Water-Snake Simile