Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

polish buddhist

edited January 2011 in General Banter
Hi! I'm student from Poland and I'm writting essay about polish buddhist, how buddist from other countries see them + their opinion. So I was wondering if you've ever met any of them? If yes I'd like to know what's your opinion about them. I'd be really thankful and I hope you'll help me;). Greetings from Poland;)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Are you intending to join the forum as a regular member, or have you joined just to ask us some questions?
    What is the main topic of your essay?
    is this for your school education?
    How old are you?

I live in the UK. We have many Polish people here, but I don't know if any of them are Buddhist.
    Is Buddhism very popular in Poland?
  • Hello Patrycja. How fascinating to have a Polish member. I have no idea how far Buddhism has spread in Eastern Europe. Do let us know what you find out.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yes, I met some Polish zen-people, but that was maybe 16 years ago.
    They were nice people.
    But we were doing sesshin and we hardly spoke at all.

A year later I got pretty drunk on red wine with a Polish Buddhist on the evening before my taking refuge.

There's a Polish zen-teacher, Malgosia Braunek.
    www.kanzeon.pl

• I'm 21 and I'm intrested in buddhism and also I study international relationships;) In Poland buddhism is quite popular, but I wanted to know if there are any difference between buddhist from other countries, because of their origin. Buddists in Poland usually don't anwser any of my questions ;p so I wanted to try find them out on this site ;)
  • What makes you think there could be a significant difference?
  • zen is zen, the types of buddhism that come from certain parts of the world for example the differences of theravada, mahayana, tibetan, pure land, etc. is relevant but i suppose it just depends on what type of buddhism is being practiced in Poland. i would guess zen therefore it does not make a difference
  • I don't say that it is or must be, I'm just asking if psyche of some nations have any influence on their religion on this case buddhists;) I also wanted to know how important for buddhists in general are buddhism centers, could you anwser me ?;)
  • well the availability of buddhist communities at least in the west is important because it gives those who want to find out more or try meditation a chance to do so with the support of others
  • I don't say that it is or must be, I'm just asking if psyche of some nations have any influence on their religion on this case buddhists;) I also wanted to know how important for buddhists in general are buddhism centers, could you anwser me ?;)
    Whilst the majority here would maintain, I think, that their particular brand of Buddhism is somehow immune to contexualisation, there is ample evidence that various cultural and other contextual elements have entered the Buddhisms as practised in the West. Perhaps the most extreme example of which I have heard is "Celtic Buddhism" (http://www.celticbuddhism.org/).

I, for one, would be very interested to learn if there is any sort of 'Polishness' in local Buddhist practice and belief. Obviously, the sutras and texts, to say nothing of oral teachings, will be in Polish which will bring different 'spin'.

• I imagine you have seen the Wikipedia article:
    "The roots of Buddhism in Poland can be found in the early 20th century in the nation's connections to the origin countries of the religion, like China, Vietnam, Japan, and Korea. After World War II, primarily expatriate Poles joined various Buddhist groups and organizations. Since the breakdown of the Eastern Bloc, Buddhism has been able to develop further in the more tolerant atmosphere.

Today all of the principal schools of Buddhism, including Mahayana (Zen and Jodo Shinshu), and Tibetan Buddhism can be found in Poland[citation needed]. Movements like the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order are also active in the country[citation needed]. Umbrella organizations like the Buddhist mission (Misja Buddyjska) and the Buddhist Union of Poland unite more than two dozen groups of Buddhists. The Diamond Way centres founded and directed by of Ole Nydahl are also active in Poland.

In May 2000, the XIV. Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso opened a Buddhist department in the Pomeranian Library in Szczecin[citation needed]."
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Hi! I'm student from Poland and I'm writting essay about polish buddhist, how buddist from other countries see them + their opinion. So I was wondering if you've ever met any of them? If yes I'd like to know what's your opinion about them. I'd be really thankful and I hope you'll help me;). Greetings from Poland;)
    I happen to be from Poland (now in UK), I'll be happy to help you. I'll PM you.

P.
  • ok so I can compare it with for example church in christianity? It's a place where you can get more knowledge, calm down and get support from people right? I want to thank you for your intrest in my doubts.
    Did you get my message? When I go to my profile it says "you sent a message to you" :scratch:
  • I have seen this wikipedia article, I know where are buddhism centres and communities in Poland, but my main problem is that in a few buddhism centres, where I was they didn't treat me seriously and didn't want to respond my questions, some of them told me that buddhism is not a religion and I got a little confiused.
  • Hello Patrycja. How fascinating to have a Polish member. I have no idea how far Buddhism has spread in Eastern Europe. Do let us know what you find out.
    Simon, FYI regarding Buddhism in E Europe, Buddhism is one of Russia's three historical religions, due to the Mongol tribes in Siberia and Western Russia. Although it was repressed during the Soviet regime, one monastery in the Buryat Republic was allowed to remain functioning. In the 1990's of course, all the former temples and monasteries were restored, and the monastery in St. Petersburg that was founded under the auspices of the 13th Dalai Lama's Buryat advisor was restored and re-opened in the early 1990's. This is Vajrayana Buddhism, of course, which manifests in the Mongol regions very much as a blend of shamanism and Buddhism, speaking of cultural contexts. I don't know if there's any influence from Russia/Tibetan Buddhism on Buddhism in Poland. It doesn't sound like it.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Yes I met a Polish nun once. She was very kind as are most nuns. She was also very loud and very funny.:)
  • I'm writting you e-mail;) wait ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Did you get my message? When I go to my profile it says "you sent a message to you" :scratch:
    You have to go to Patrycja's profile...you know that, right....?

• I'm glad that you have good opinion about polish nun ;) // thanks for information about buddhism in my neighboring country - Russia.
    This is an interesting link...It might be useful...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_by_country
  • Fede: My page also tends to say "you sent a message to you" when I send messages to people. Is this a glitch with the new format?
    You have to go to Patrycja's profile...you know that, right....?

Yes, I did to send a message, but then I checked in my profile and under 'activity' it says "You sent you a message.". Sounds like a bug imo. Anyway, it's ok now, we are communicating.

P.