Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chenrezig Empowerment question

mugzymugzy Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the empowerment for thousand or four-armed Chenrezig (Avalokitesvara)? I would like to practice the nyungne method of thousand-armed Chenrezig but I received the empowerment for the four-armed version, and I don't know if I have to specifically receive the thousand-armed version prior to doing the nyungne.

I think it will be a while and I will probably consult with a teacher first, but I was wondering if anyone had any input about this.

Comments

• Bump?
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Mugzy,

As far as I know, its usual to have the thousand arm empowerment prior to practising Nyungne sessions, each of which is quite intensive over a 3 day period and includes fasting. I don't know if it would be possible to do it with the ordinary Chenrezi empowerment, you'd need to ask whoever was in charge.

I found this website where they mention having a Nyungne retreat and as you can see, the 1000 arm Chenrezi empowerment is required.

http://gyutocenter.com/events/event-calendar/view/117.html

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • Thanks Dazzle, too bad I'm not closer to San Jose! Perhaps if I had more than a day's notice I might have been able to attend.