Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An Interesting New Agey Website

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
An Interesting New Agey Website: http://www.crystalinks.com/

Thoughts?
Has anyone followed her stuff? Read her? Spoke to her? Interacted with her?

Thanks,
Leon

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Hmmm. so I clicked on the science link and some of the topics under there include:

Alchemy Index
    Alternative Energy
    Continental Drift (a theory that has since been replaced by plate tectonics)
    Gaia Theories
    Grids

I stopped after G, I couldn't take it any more. This is new agey rubbish poluting not only science but Buddhism as well as new agey stuff just makes Buddhism seem vague and indirect.

And I won't even go into the "metaphysics" (whatever that is) section which is all rubbish.

So I don't know why anyone would even be interested in this stuff at all. If you want information about science, there are plenty of reputable websites and as for the "metaphysics" well, if that rocks your boat, go for it!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh good grief.... :rolleyes:
    Where do you find such blurb?
    More importantly, why?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Oh good grief.... :rolleyes:
    Where do you find such blurb?
    More importantly, why?
    Lol!
    I have been into Metaphysics for 6 years, however, recently it has been messing with my brain.
    Literally making me paranoid.
    Was wondering if anyone else dubbed with this stuff.
    I was also studying Occult/Esoterics and they are even scarier than Metaphysics.
    What exactly are your thoughts on this?
    Hmmm. so I clicked on the science link and some of the topics under there include:

Alchemy Index
    Alternative Energy
    Continental Drift (a theory that has since been replaced by plate tectonics)
    Gaia Theories
    Grids

I stopped after G, I couldn't take it any more. This is new agey rubbish poluting not only science but Buddhism as well as new agey stuff just makes Buddhism seem vague and indirect.

And I won't even go into the "metaphysics" (whatever that is) section which is all rubbish.

So I don't know why anyone would even be interested in this stuff at all. If you want information about science, there are plenty of reputable websites and as for the "metaphysics" well, if that rocks your boat, go for it!
    Interesting.
    Tell me more!
    What could you not take?
    You think Metaphysics is BS?
    You think Science explains other dimensions?
    Other realities?
    I mean I want to hear more from you!

• Interesting.
    Tell me more!
    What could you not take?
    You think Metaphysics is BS?
    You think Science explains other dimensions?
    Other realities?
    I mean I want to hear more from you!
    Well, the science is not science so it's a misrepresentation. Science explains other spatial dimensions - whether that correlates the Buddhist concept of different planes of existence is another matter.

As for metaphysics, there really is no such thing. It's just a tenuous relation between non-scientific concepts and science. I don't think there's much we can get out of it really. I have read some books on it in the past but none that have convinced me that there's any substance in it.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited January 2011
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Used to think it was interesting then I realized it wasnt that much.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011

Lol!
    I have been into Metaphysics for 6 years, however, recently it has been messing with my brain.
    I was also studying Occult/Esoterics and they are even scarier than Metaphysics.
    My exact thoughts are that if something messes with your brain, and dabbling with this crap leaves you even more confused, paranoid and scared than before, perhaps that's a good and clear indication that you should just leave that rubbish alone, and stop messing with unnecessary baggage.

lol.

• I didn't look at the website to be honest, but most buddhists hate this stuff. There's a lot of truth in the new age movement, though. It has a purpose.
  • I just despair when I read sites like that - of people's lack of basic logic, for a start. I have no time for it at all.

That said, I've no problem if others are into it, but personally, I'll just stick to the stuff that seems sensible: the dharma, science and common-sense.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I prefer Buddhism. I came to that conclusion a long time ago. Eckhart Tolle and the like might help people and such but I'd rather not waste mind space when there's always more to be learned about the perfect Dharma.
  • I second Shanyin's opinion. A friend gave me an Eckhart Tolle book and I couldn't get past the first couple pages, it was complete nonsense in my opinion.

What I wonder is why there is such a tendency to try to pollute Buddhism with New Age philosophy? It's not the same thing, and if you try to mix the two then you're not a Buddhist (which is fine, just don't claim otherwise).
    In what way?
    I second Shanyin's opinion. A friend gave me an Eckhart Tolle book and I couldn't get past the first couple pages, it was complete nonsense in my opinion.

What I wonder is why there is such a tendency to try to pollute Buddhism with New Age philosophy? It's not the same thing, and if you try to mix the two then you're not a Buddhist (which is fine, just don't claim otherwise).
    Great points.

Lol!
    My exact thoughts are that if something messes with your brain, and dabbling with this crap leaves you even more confused, paranoid and scared than before, perhaps that's a good and clear indication that you should just leave that rubbish alone, and stop messing with unnecessary baggage.

lol.

Yea, I realized that a few years too late!...
    I didn't look at the website to be honest, but most buddhists hate this stuff. There's a lot of truth in the new age movement, though. It has a purpose.
    I wonder why Buddhist hate this stuff?
    It's like saying Christians hate Buddhist or Christians hate New Agers?
    Does it mess with their egos?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2011
    In what way?
    It was an interesting fantasy but I think thats all it is nothing substancial or helpful.
    I see.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    In what way?
    It was an interesting fantasy but I think thats all it is nothing substancial or helpful.
    this is my opinion as well.

LeonBasin, what exactly is making you feel paranoid? Specifically, what concepts or things have you read and what is there to be paranoid about?
  • The Dharma is expressed by Eckhart Tolle, by Jesus, in the Upanishads, by all kinds of religious people throughout the ages, by Buddha, and others. The Dharma is not a Buddhist creation. It's for everyone. Life is confusing sometimes, but the truth, the deep eternal truth... It wants to come out, and will, under whatever name or tradition. Total open mindedness.
  • The Dharma is expressed by Eckhart Tolle, by Jesus, in the Upanishads, by all kinds of religious people throughout the ages, by Buddha, and others. The Dharma is not a Buddhist creation. It's for everyone. Life is confusing sometimes, but the truth, the deep eternal truth... It wants to come out, and will, under whatever name or tradition. Total open mindedness.
    This was beautiful and true. Makes me smile.
  • I think anyone who dismisses it all as rubbish has a lot of ego that holds them back from seeing different views. A lot of new age stuff is rubbish, but plenty of it is truth too. Just don't let it get you paranoid. New age stuff tends to just be a bunch of deep thinkers thinking it all out, gathering evidence, making theories. Some of them can be wrong, and some of them can be right.

It's rare that they mention something worth being paranoid about though. But for me it's fun to read and I always give credit to the types of people who are brave enough to try and seek the truth. The types of people brave enough and open to consider this stuff are my favorite types of people. The ego really is a cold and nasty thing.
    New Age is just Old Age with a pretty crystal.
    In what way?
    this is my opinion as well.

LeonBasin, what exactly is making you feel paranoid? Specifically, what concepts or things have you read and what is there to be paranoid about?
    I guess all the conspiracies and occult stuff.
    Do they help your practice?
    are they conducive to passing your limited time, well?
    Do they help your practice?
    are they conducive to passing your limited time, well?
    I don't practice or pay attention to it any longer.
    I was stuck on it for 5 years.
    I practice Zazen right now.
    Thank you for your concern Federica!:)
    Sorry, you've lost me... what don't you "practice or pay attention to" any longer....? :scratch:
    Sorry, you've lost me... what don't you "practice or pay attention to" any longer....? :scratch:
    Conspiracies and Occult...
    So why the heck churn up this utter gibberish, then?
    if you no longer practice or pay attention to them, why bring them to our attention?
    Of what possible interest could they be to us, if you no longer care for them?

Lordy, sometimes, really.....!
This discussion has been closed.