Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mountains approaching from all sides

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited January 2011 in Arts & Writings
You pull your keys out of your pocket and unlock the driver-side door. You crawl in to your car and turn the ignition. The radio is playing softly on whatever station you were listening to the last time you were driving. You buckle the seat belt and pop into reverse. You check the time on your cell phone before tossing it onto the passenger seat and pulling out onto the road.

It's snowing and the roads are slippery so you take it safe as you slowly make your way through town. You're not thinking too hard about anythign in particular. Your thoughts are on your morning, your day, your plans, your friends, conversations you had earlier. You notice the motion and steel gray of the clouded sky and contemplate impermanence and change. You remember something your teacher has told you, and you think about something you read recently.

As you drive past an old workplace, your mind turns to memories of old friends, of times past, of choices you made and places you've been. Once again, you are reminded of change, of how one moment leads to the next. You focus on the road and slow to a stop at a red light. A black SUV pulls up next to you, and the older woman driving is talking to a younger girl who appears to be her daughter.

A song you like comes on the radio, so you turn it up and tap your hands on the steering wheel to the beat. The light changes to green and you pull forward. The tires kick up snow as they skid against the asphalt. On the left a truck runs through the light and slams into the side of your car, crushing the door in on your side and forcing your car into the back end of the SUV.

The pain is incredible, shooting through you shoulder and left side. Glass from the broken window cuts your face and hands. You can feel that your arm and collarbone are broken. Even worse, blood is gushing from a cut in your side, and your head feels light as the roads and sky reel in your vision. You can hear the woman and her dauhter in the suv screaming, and the radio is still playing the same song. Your phone has been thrown on to the floor and there is no way for you to reach it.

Your eyes are heavy, and the pain is starting to melt into a tingling sensation throughout your body. Your heart is racing, and your breathing heavy. You are confused, upset, and scared. You feel like you're going to die. The man in the truck has gotten out and is trying to open your broken door. He is asking if you are going to be okay, but you can barely understand him.

You feel a need to hold on to something, anything. You hold on to the song playing, you hold on to the thought of your friends and family. You hold on to your fears of dying and you hold on to your love of life. You hold on to your breath, and you hold on to your quickly fading and erratic thoughts. You hold on to yourself, and you know that this just can't be the end. You close your eyes and exhale.

Comments

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    damn, intense bro. cool story.
  • :bawl:
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    "Nothing happens" - Tibetan Tulku Lama before his death.
  • There is no coming, there is no going. Nothing is happening.
  • I was trying to show the small ways that the unprepared mind will grasp on to impermanent things in the moment of passing. I think I'm going to take this sketch and extrapolate it into a longer piece.
  • edited January 2011
    May I go off topic here? :-/ Whenever I get a new phone I put it on a lanyard and put the lanyard around my neck (and phone in my shirt pocket or inside my t-shirt) before driving off. That way if there were a crash the phone is at hand. IMO? Never just toss the phone in the driver's seat; especially at night!
  • lol i keep it in my pocket