Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

HHDL's many faces

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited January 2011 in Buddhism Today
Old friends here will know of my great respect and love for Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama of Tibet, who called me 'friend'. They will not be surprised that I am not accusing him of hypocrisy. What I am suggesting that he skillfully adapts himself and tailors aspects of his message in order to meet his audience where they are.

It seems to me that he is like the apostle Paul, who was "all things to all people". To Westerners he is slightly quaint, giggly, wise and inclusive. He speaks good English but is wise enough to travel with interpreters. He publishes a lot and supports generally liberal agendas. He is quite prepared to speak about 'God' and to engage in the multicultural dialogue. His sincerity is entirely apparent and emphasised but his holding some less 'P.C.' views.

To Tibetans, he remains a somewhat severe and remote figure. Teaching from a throne.

To many non-Tibetan Buddhists, he is the acceptable face of the Tibetan lineages.

Of course, there are those who object. And it should be so. Some want a more liberal political government-in-exile; some may want rapprochment with China. Some want more Buddhist 'orthodoxy'; some may object that there is already too much.

I would suggest that HHDL is offering us an interesting model of one who genuinely walks a middle way, where the context and condition of those we encounter or address (here, for example) is of more importance to us than our own.

Comments

• I'm reading "Becoming Enlightened" by His Holiness right now. The parts I like best are when he discusses how one should be respectful and loving of all people, especially those we consider to be our enemies, and to be tolerant and kind to people of all faiths, cultures, and creed. He is a very wise man.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    HHDL does have many faces, doesn't he?

description of the photo

description of the photo

See?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    More times than not, he's smiling.
    His laugh is infectious.
    Let's not forget he's a simple monk, and has to be many things to many people. He's only doing his best.....
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I saw a video of this famous rockstar talking about how he met him and the DL walked up to him and held his hand!! lol!

Khensur Rinpoche did the same thing to me. :nyah:
  • CHENREZIG!!!!!
  • More times than not, he's smiling.
    His laugh is infectious.
    Let's not forget he's a simple monk, and has to be many things to many people. He's only doing his best.....
    We also shed tears of mourning together.

That is precisely my point: HHDL does not conform to any stereotype of "simple monk" or, even, "Buddhist". He is mentally and emotionally flexible and spontaneous, acting appropriately from moment to moment. He seems more interested in people than in ideas or doctrines, unless that is the focus of the people with whom he engages. Above all, he is gentle.

For me and for my son, who was just 11 at the time we spent time with him, he appeared to us to be a real embodiment of the old saying that "blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth."

• Can you tell me ONE GOOD book of HHDL to start with?
  • edited January 2011
    This is the book that drew me to Buddhism...
    ... a simple and easy to understand book.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Many faces are Indeed apt for His Holiness.
  • Many faces are Indeed apt for His Holiness.
    And, of course, we all have many faces. Few, I would submit, have as many compassionate and skillful ones as Tenzin Gyatso.
  • edited January 2011
    Check out the video, "Words of my Perfect Teacher," it follows Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche around the world doing his thing.

When he is in Tibet (or Nepal? Dharamsala? I forgot) he adopts a princely pose receiving the reverence of Tibetan natives. When in the west, he's almost a regular guy.

No big deal. Gotta get that message of love, kindness and compassion across. Whatever works!