Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thank You Everyone!

edited December 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone its me again.

well jsut want to thank you all I know im a slow person but im trying and this is making me very very happy and the chance to spead peace and love to this beautiful earth we know it is.
Even though it hasnt been a full year yet ive been seeing alot of differences. for one Ive noticed that my father's hard rule wasnt working for me. and he flipped out that he found out i was studying buddhism he took my little Buddha decoration and he threw it on the floor and said "enough with this philosophy sh!t" he gets anrgey very easy. another thing is that

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Johnny, Dharma friend,

Never worry about being "slow". We all are. Even the Buddha took many, many lives - in the myths - before he was ready to sit under that tree.

But we lost the end of your post, leaving me with the fantasy that your father had come across you criticising him and hit the roof. As a constitutionally irritable person myself, I can attest to the energy it wastes. I hope he learns that it is a waste and that, just as a smile is more relaxing to the face than a frown, loving-kindness produces positive energy and is much more creative.
  • edited November 2005
    Yes thank you very much, but i didnt have the energy to continue with the post. I do inerhit some of my fathers short temper. But not as much anymore for I am seeking enlightment. Also I mentioned that my father used to be a heavy catholic when he was younger...i asked him about it after the heated arguement he said "its non of your bussiness"

slow meaning that they think i have ADD or ADHD, which i dont believe exists.
  • edited November 2005
    JohnnyB wrote:
    Yes thank you very much, but i didnt have the energy to continue with the post. I do inerhit some of my fathers short temper. But not as much anymore for I am seeking enlightment. Also I mentioned that my father used to be a heavy catholic when he was younger...i asked him about it after the heated arguement he said "its non of your bussiness"

slow meaning that they think i have ADD or ADHD, which i dont believe exists.

ADD doesn't necessarily you're slow. I've been diagnosed with it (recently in fact) but I have a 4.0 in college an a well above average IQ (not to brag, just making a point). I don't know if it has a biological basis or is environmental, or if it should be as a "disease" (hey, variation isn't always bad), but I will say that it is good to have a term for certain personality traits that tend to run together and can sometimes cause problems. You may or may not have ADD, but don't take it to mean that there is something horribly wrong about you. On the plus side, at least at my university, I can receive special accomodations as a person with a "disability" - even have people take notes for me. I haven't taken advantage of that one yet, but it's not exactly the worst thing to happen to me.
  • edited November 2005
    Johnny B, you're father may well turn out to be a good teacher for you.
  • edited November 2005
    Very well said i may agree
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Johnny,

Your father may help in experditing your good cultivation practice. A really good training ground. :)

Amitabha.

cheers,
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Keep up the good work-I'm the slowest, hardest to get to understand something, person I know, however I step out of my comfort zone of negative self-talk ie. I'm slow, no good etc. etc., every time I enter a classroom.

Over the years I have taught Engineers, Electricians,and Technicians how to program Industrial computer systems, how to repair Medical Imaging (MRI and Nuclear Medicine) equipment, and now how to repair Aviation Navigational systems (Instrument Landing System and radar)- so if you're slow to learn etc. in this business, you learn better! You understand things better. Maybe there is a vocation for you-Instructor/Teacher?

I believe you will make a great Buddhist. After all aren't all Buddhists great learners-then great teachers?
  • edited December 2005
    Xrayman wrote:
    I'm the slowest, hardest to get to understand something, person I know

Now you're just boasting lol.